Kaiser Permanente Reviews

Reset
3.5
Kaiser Permanente Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bernard J. Tyson
Bernard J. Tyson

Pros
  • Some opportunity for work life balance depending on your superior (in 158 reviews)

• Great benefits - that's about it (in 201 reviews)

Cons
  • Doesn't practice work life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Terrible unethical upper management (in 38 reviews)

1. Good to employer to work with

Current Employee - Security Specialist in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Security Specialist in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time

Pros

Good Benefits specially Paid Time Off Good Medical Insurance Plan Pension Plan

Cons

May need to invest more in people, training and process.

Advice to Management

Don't treat employee as just resources or commodity, treat them as people and value their knowledge and experience.

2. Great company to work for

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

During my time at Kaiser, I had the pleasure of working with some incredible people. I felt a great sense of team and teamwork. I was always supported by my direct managers. I felt the company provided many benefits and perks that led to employee satisfaction. I loved that we were strongly encouraged to volunteer and give back to our communities. The employee wellness programs were also a "practice what you preach" of their thrive philosophy.

Cons

I did not feel that supported by senior leadership. For my particular role, there was no development ladder and none ever discussed even though we asked for it numerous times.

Advice to Management

Make sure your people feel challenged and developed. If people don't see growth, they will leave.

3. Bait and Switch --Life thrown into an instant emergency

Former Employee - IT Consultant (Contractor) in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - IT Consultant (Contractor) in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, it was nice well meaning people. Fun to go to the farmers market in Pleasanton. Good cafeteria in pleasanton. Nothing at all in Walnut Creek. Oddly disparate and uneven. The offices in Pleasanton were beautiful and the only consolation for the cons you see before was an office with a door and white boards etc. . . ! but my coworker --even though there were lots of empty offices---decided to pair me with someone even though I needed to concentrate at times. I think he had been against hiring me and he set out to prove he was right. He proved it. Sorry I am supposed to be positive. If you are used to high tech, you will be astounded at how you have to get into the 'who will clean the coffee pot" today--which ends up being something the women do.

Cons

They offered me a position they said was a contract to hire type job. I left a great contracting position because what they offered was closer to home and I was juggling a special school situation with my child--which I was not allowed to let them in on as I was with a head hunter agency. Another weird issue --you had all these insane rules about contacting the manager about anything relating to your work situation. . . and you couldn't email out. It was RIDICULOUS. . I was supposed to be at a location with a great commute to my home, but they said I'd have to be at a location another hour a way "for a while." Despite this change and the fact that I'd quit the other contract to get this, they offered no flexibility in the new place, and the same starting time, and scoffed at my complaints about the traffic on 680 when I would get there late--unavoidable as I had taken the job being told it was the close location around the corner from his school but the other was a 25 mile commute down crazy 680 and 580 in the worst rush hour times. And I couldn't drop him off early. No that part is not their fault I had to deal with my son's school drop off (special school so no bus possibilities) but it IS their fault that the job I agreed to was in place one and they moved it to place two but refused to change the start time or accommodate the craziness even temporarily while I worked it out or found someone who could get him dropped off. EVEN THOUGH I could have done the whole job as a telecommute or some of it--only one team member was even there! To make a long story short, I was trapped. I couldn't get them to move the time it started to avoid traffic or to accommodate dropping off my son off at a better time, or even to give me the time to arrange some other situation for him. But still they insisted I start at exactly 8:30 in the midst of a terrible traffic situation, and leave at 5:00 even though, again, my management was never there, the people I served were remote, and there was only one other coworker ---who hid in his office down the hall all day. So they basically changed a 15 minute twice a day commute into a 2 hour twice a day commute and as I said scoffed at my begging them to let me work in the other location, and scoffed that traffic could be that bad (the manager who scoffed lived in another state and did not believe my reports that traffic had doubled from 2009 to 2013. But it had. ANyhow that was bad enough. The rest was they changed the nature of the work they wanted me to do and again, I had left another job to get this new type of work for me. The kicker was that while I was there they decided not to hire any IT people from Northern California. So the contract to hire I had been enduring all this for --the prize at the end of the rainbow- was bogus. Then, they let ME go with no warning no severance of course, no chance to explain what I had accomplished (including training an intern) and no apologies. It was one of the worst jobs of my life, and it set my career back several years as I could have stayed at the previous contract at a wonderful company but had left for the chance of a perm job. ARGH. The two locations I am speaking of are Pleasanton and Walnut Creek. I couldn't list both below.

Advice to Management

For God's sake admit you screwed up outsourcing IT to that other company. Get it back, get over it. It wasn't your fault that this mistaken direction happened. But it was your fault that you continue to not want to correct it. Or something. I don't get it. Please just hire someone to keep the kitchens up and do the coffee. This is just the norm in high tech and if you don't do it some women --even high level ones--end up doing it and get very resentful and can't wait to leave. Yes, it should be equitable. But it is not.

5. Great place with real people

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to learn cross functionally and with leadership who are humans

Cons

With such a large organization it can be challenging to find the right functional stakeholders

Work experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Good Corporate vision. Good benefit and decent paid scale.

Cons

Large organization. Very political. Poor mid level management. Too many layers of management gets in the way. Pace of progress is slow to dead slow. Who you know is more important than what you know.

Advice to Management

Reduce the layer of management. Listen to what the employees really have to say. Streamline the process.

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They treat employees well with salary, pension plans, Christmas gifts, etc.. Also it is very clear that culturally patient care is the most important thing versus profit. They have great pockets of talent. Unfortunately those folks don't run IT.

Cons

It is very bureaucratic. It takes 2 times longer to do things than the for-profit world. IT has too many departments with ticket-think versus customer-think. Senior executives don't have a clue how to run a large program. But hey, they have tons of money so they throw billions until they get it right.

Advice to Management

Find a way to have one IT versus National and regional ITs. Don't run a large program without a Data Track and a Reporting Track. Learn from the Zachman Framework of Architectures. A DBA is not the same as a data architect or data modeler.

8. Kaiser Thrive

Former Contractor - Electronic Health Records Remediator- Team Lead in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Very hard to get in as a full time employee.

Project Manager Lead

Current Employee - Lead Project Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Project Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stability, knowledge of our health care system, great benefits

Cons

Long hours, management support is lacking

Executive Director

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Focused on community and member well being.

Cons

Slow moving while transformational changes are needed very fast, not just to up lift this company but really this one has opportunity to show whole industry.

Advice to Management

Get all regions in line for OneKP

Intend to do it right, but culture is dominated by power grabs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits (how could they not have?) Generally good and talented work force. Competitive pay. Telecommuting option well engaged, but...

Cons

...Too many employees "phone it in." The "Kaiser nod" is alive and well--after a time even the best employees find it hard to not give up. Power plays and egos dominate leadership.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure any advice here would be given much thought by Management. I love being a Member for healthcare, but don't miss being an employee.

Showing 95 of 2,524 reviews