Kaiser Permanente

3.6
1,701 Reviews

Kaiser Permanente Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bernard J. Tyson
Bernard J. Tyson

Pros
  • Allowed me to telecommute once a week so promoted a healthy work-life balance (in 152 reviews)

• Great benefits - while I was there there was a very flexible work schedule (in 192 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no "work life balance" at Kaiser, contrary to the expressed platitude (in 41 reviews)

• Upper management is adept at finding new ways to run their best employees off (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Old school thinking will lead to stagnant growth

Current Employee - Non-clinical services coordinator in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Non-clinical services coordinator in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

+Great health benefits
    +Stable company that has long history
    +Well known and large in size
    +Ahead of its competitors
    +Able to leverage technology
    +Able to adapt to changes

Cons

-Even when you're more competent, highly skilled and has great potentials, hiring managers will go with "experience and previous title on paper". Sadly, in KP it is not what you know, but who you know.

-KP can't assess talent and won't grow its new work force (less than 5 years of services at KP). They sometimes hire from the outside for people with the "right" experience.

-Lack of training programs and opportunities for new work force (less than 5 years of services at KP)

-Horrible recruitment services. If you apply from the outside, you know how much of a black hole it is to apply on kp.org. It is not that much if you're a current employee applying to internal positions. Most KP recruiters are not helpful or friendly.

-Pay raises are very little and are capped out at a certain percentage each year.

-Each department is slow to make changes due to its large size and bureaucratic nature

-Lazy, and incompetent employees still allow to work, causing headaches for other dedicated, hard working, and competent employees.

Listen more to ideas from your employees when they identify problems and risks that need to be addressed. Also, change your way of assessing and recognizing your talented and skillful workforce. Provide more opportunities to train and develop your newer employees to promote loyalty. Need to get rid of leeches aka lazy, incompetent, and not dedicated employees.

Good company, depends on what department you work in

Former Employee - Performance Improvement Consultant in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Performance Improvement Consultant in Oakland, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits, work-life balance, good salary, nice bonus at end of year, trying to reward employees, large company so many opportunities to move across if inclined

Cons

Management promoted within based on "relationships" so they are most likely not prepared to be in a leadership role. Lack of training, mentoring and guidance results in a miserable environment for everybody.

Choose management carefully as they can make or break company culture

Excellent Stability

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stability, advancement opportunities in many positions, many locations, good health benefits, good training.

Cons

Labor Management Partnership leads to labor and management being a bit too cozy. Subpar managers are often not removed unless they offend doctors, create a legal risk, or waste money and even THEN it can take years (so if you don't like the management you should transfer to another department/location). Favoritism and nepotism are officially frowned upon but have been known to occur.

Hold management just as accountable as employees. Continue bonuses to employees; it builds morale. Continue to seek to improve service because it increases patient satisfaction and employee pride.

Working for this company has given me a well rounded experience in the healthcare field.

Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had the best experience working with this employer. The worked as a team, excellent work ethics, care for the their employees, health conscience, and very safety oriented.

Cons

Moving to a better position.

To become more aquainted with those they manage.

Thriving at Kaiser Permanente

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Technical Test Lead in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Technical Test Lead in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, excellent work-ethic. Good teamwork environment. Very professional compared to other places I've worked. Opportunities for training, tuition reimbursement, flexible schedule, opportunities for telecommuting.

Cons

Sometimes work-life balance can be superseded by project demands with unreasonable timeframes.
    Reorganizations can reek havoc on individuals

Consider the value of long-time employees and how you can keep that knowledge in the company during reorganizations rather than throwing it out the door

Kaiser treats there employees very well

Current Employee - Staff Nurse II in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse II in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I work as a Nurse in the ED for over 8 years and feel very well supported by our managers and the sense of teamwork is great. Our managers actually help us when we are very busy. There is room for progressing to the next staff nurse level. They listen to staff input and will make changes as necessary.

Cons

Increasing need to be efficient by corporate. We are very efficient yet it seems to not be enough. A lot of pressure from corporate to improve our patient in to out times. I feel that the focus moves to times rather than giving quality medical care. I guess its hard to avoid in such a big organization.

IF we are outside of the patient in out of door times, please look at why this happens. Maybe it was because your staff was going that extra mile to give excellent care!

Great experience

I worked at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Love the company great bosses great people to work with

Cons

Can be slow and patients can be hard to deal with

Part-timers

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company to work at.

Cons

Hard company to get into unless you know someone.

Great Management; they want the best for their employees.

• Maintained inventory of clinic supplies needed to administer shots.

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Mission Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Mission Hills, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Kaiser is a great place to work i really enjoyed working with kaiser Permanente. employees make you feel welcome.

Cons

Their are great benefits of working with kaiser is that their is great people working their and they work as a family. If their was challenges i didn't notice them i was very comfortable.

I think the flu clinic should run a little loner then 4 weeks.

Good Company if flex time desired

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flex hours, large organization so can easily change jobs, good medical benefits

Cons

Have to work a year before 401k match