Kaiser Permanente

3.5 1,352 reviews

Kaiser Permanente Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bernard J. Tyson

Bernard J. Tyson

1,352 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work/Life balance is good (though not in all parts of the company)"
    in 118 reviews
  • "Great benefits; diversity; flexible schedules; a lot of areas to grow your career"
    in 153 reviews
Cons:
  • "Need better work-life balance and need to better enjoy work/ less stress at management level"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Upper management with their pork barrel spending instead of spending that money wisely"
    in 32 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great experience

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente as an intern

Pros-great company culture: flexibility, on-the job training, open-door policy, room for growth and movement

Cons-no centralized method in getting technology through different departments as each department has their own rules, regulations, etc

Very rewarding

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time

ProsPeople, managment and everyday challenges.

ConsExtremely very busy work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Kaiser Permanente - many possibilities

Denver, CO

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 10 years

ProsKaiser offers many types of employment, everything from direct patient care to Marketing, Finance, and Research. Once in, your ability to move around is great. As you grow, so can your career - networking is very important once inside. Kaiser believes in promoting from within but is not afraid to go outsite to bring in the best. The benefits are also very good and currently include tuition reimbursement.

ConsAs a non-profit HMO, the focus is on providing excellent healthcare at the lowest costs. Revenue deficits are typically absorbed by the company instead being passed on to the customer. Because of this, salaries are typically lower than in the for-profit market. Also, employees must make sacrifices such as doing more with less, including being understaffed, and at times work without a cost of living raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementBusiness should not always be about the bottom line. People deserve at least a cost of living increase every year and this needs to be built into the business plan. No increase creates low morale, low morale creates production and human resource loss, all of this equates to financial loss.

Awesome!

Pharmacy Technician Extern (Former Employee)
Vacaville, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente as an intern for less than a year

ProsPeople I worked with were fantastic, there's always something to do to keep busy.

ConsThe hospital can be a little confusing at first. It is a pretty big hospital.

Committed to learning and growth

Communications Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time

ProsMany internal courses, seminars and conferences for the asking. Tuition reimbursement. Support for employees to attend professional seminars.

ConsSometimes difficult to accommodate all requests.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpread learning opportunities to more of the workforce (especially non-managers).

I enjoy my job, it is very interesting and allows me to help patients, families, staff members, and physicians.

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStressful at times, dealing with difficult people.

ConsThis is an intense job with a significant amount of responsibility but I "Thrive" on this type of an environment.

Great company to work for

Nurse Manager (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of opportunities for advancement

ConsUnion environment makes some employees have that "entitled" attituded.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive managers the tools to do their jobs and not bog them down on the tedious details.

great company

Pharmacy (Current Employee)
Portland, OR

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 5 years

Prosbenefits, culture, service, salary, long term

Consupward mobility, many rules, complex business role model.

rewarding

Lab Assistant III (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 10 years

ProsKaiser is a secure, world-class hospital which offers a various opportunities for their employees. Kaiser continues to 'thrive' and be the best in their business.

ConsNot willing to help there own in career advancement, though the opportunities are there. Also, not a very forgiving company towards employees (equally) who have committed a NON-gross act or who have broken a NON-gross rule. It's "off-with-head" (without entertaining any other option)

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more forgiving towards employees who commit a bad act or who have broken a rule (especially on the FIRST OFFENSE) and never deem an employee "not hireable" in the record, for that employee may have rehabilitated and if the 'sin' that was committed was not a GROSS one, then definitely one should be allowed to come back after a 'set time' has passed. Keep everyone 'thriving' :) Former employee of San Jose Kaiser

Medical Dosimetrist

Medical Dosimetrist (Current Employee)
Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for less than a year

Prospatient care, team work, management, supervisor and coworkers and great pay, basically everything about this place is wonderful.

ConsI have nothing so far.

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!

Kaiser Permanente Videos

Kaiser Permanente – Why Work for Us?

At Kaiser Permanente, we stand for health. Yours. Ours. Everyone’s. That means we advocate the well-being of people and their parts—like hips and hearts, for instance. And to better serve those parts, we study them. In… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kaiser Permanente reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kaiser Permanente CEO Bernard J. Tyson. All 1,352 reviews posted anonymously by Kaiser Permanente employees.