Kaiser Permanente

3.6
1,657 Reviews

Kaiser Permanente Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bernard J. Tyson
Bernard J. Tyson

Pros
  • Allowed me to telecommute once a week so promoted a healthy work-life balance (in 147 reviews)

• Great benefits - while I was there there was a very flexible work schedule (in 186 reviews)

Cons
  • Runs counter to work-life balance emphasis which is also promoted; causing dissonance to staff (in 41 reviews)

• Upper management is adept at finding new ways to run their best employees off (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Company is going down hill quickly!

I worked at Kaiser Permanente for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits. Rumor has it that they will be changing

Cons

They don't know what they're doing. Say they need to change to be more competitive but don't really change and just cause hysteria with their employees. Very dysfunctional….They have been talking about how they are going to change to be more competitive but they don't really change at all. If they do make changes, they aren't really for the better.

Really examine who you put into senior leadership positions.

Very clique-y along with a High School mentality, and rampant with favoritism.

Former Employee - Senior Health Information Management Assistant  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Health Information Management Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Pay. I was(or I was supposed to be) part of the Union meaning better pay and benefits. Great health insurance, meaning I didn't have to "leave work" to see my physician. Received mileage for training.

Cons

I was very excited to work here in the very beginning. However I should have taken heed to the negative reviews from former employees as well as the legal trouble Kaiser is ALWAYS in. Kaiser is always being sued by either a patient or a former employee. I was terminated during my probation period over hearsay.

The 70-something days I was there, I only saw my supervisor TWICE for maybe a few hours. Yet she claimed she received all these complaints about my attitude and my work attire: she claimed someone said I was wearing jeans and a mini-skirt. Yes...a mini-skirt. And she was so convinced that this was true, despite only being at my work location twice. How would she know if I violated dress code if she was almost NEVER there? I had never heard a word about anything I was doing wrong until the day I was fired. Nothing.

Now to my coworkers: lazy. I was left to my own devices many times due to my coworker either picking up her car at 3pm (not allowed, by the way), and holding long conversations with her husband or other employees while patients are waiting to be served. Day after day, I was handling the window and the phones on my own because my coworker didn't feel like working. Yet no one complained about that. Not to mention, on one occasion, we "lost" a patient's school form. My coworker did not document where she left the form and the patient made a complaint to my department manager. After some research, we found it upstairs in another department (as the patient was coming in over the weekend for some other business). My department manager actually blamed the front desk clerk in the OTHER department for not giving the form to the patient....and NOT my coworker, who failed to document where she put the form in the first place. That should have been my first red flag, because documentation is EVERYTHING in a Medical Records department.

I did file a complaint about HIPAA violations to OCR. Maybe that had something to do with my termination. But hearsay does not hold up in any court, INCLUDING unemployment. Which of course I won because Kaiser could not produce any evidence of my wrongdoing. The shock and the pain of being fired has worn off, because I hold myself to a high standard, and I do not operate well in a high-school work environment that is rampant with favoritism. Despite losing my income(which was GREAT) I am glad to be gone.

It wouldn't kill you to frequent your designated locations so you can see how employees are REALLY working. And to upper management, you need to be VERY CAREFUL who you hire as a manager in a meticulous department such as Medical Records and Health Information. Patients cannot afford lazy and incompetent employees handling their private medical information.

Work/Life Unbalance

Current Employee - National Business Specialist  in  Downey, CA
    Current Employee - National Business Specialist in Downey, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year

Pros

I you get sick you are close to medical help.

Cons

Very unorganized and reactionary for a large well-respected company.

Get some managers with people skills and treat the employees better.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Colorado Region's HR Dept is HORRIBLE

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Denver, CO

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free Benefits, wasn't micro-manged by my direct manager,

Cons

This is by far the worst HR department I have EVER worked in. You have Sr. Managers who are 1. NOT Qualified for their jobs. 2. Hire their best friends and then put their BFF's on all of the committees with upper management and ignore the rest of the team. 3. The amount of nepotism that is going on with some of the managers is sick! Some of the managers are so far removed from what their own team does, they are clueless. Then you have employees who think they are your manager, but are just on a power trip, because managers in this HR department allow and condone extremely bad and bullying behavior. What the VP needs to do is open his eye up to the SUPER STARS in the department who are not being able to show their true potential, because you have some very insecure managers and employees who are horrible, and are put on all the committees, and other employees are not even given a chance to contribute.

OPEN YOUR EYES TO SOME OF THE NEWER TALENT HIRED ON OR YOU ARE GOING TO KEEP LOSING EMPLOYEES WHO CAN BE A GREAT ASSET TO THE DEPARTMENT AND THE COMPANY. Get rid of your SR. Managers and hire new from outside the organization to start fresh and to wipe away any type of the nepotism that is destroying the department. Also, HR VP should spend several weeks working in the office around the other employees to really grasp how BAD the environment really is. You have employees who are ready and have had breakdowns, because their are just some NASTY people in that department who need to be removed.

Difficult place to work; lots of office politics to navigate.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You work with a diversity of people.And they stress doing community service work, which as an employee, you need to get out and do 16 hours of community service work every year. That's kind of refreshing.

Cons

There is no upward mobility in the Health Plan side of the business. And the office politics are like shark infested waters.

Create more growth opportunities for people. The office culture is run on rumors and scare tactics.

micro management

Current Employee - Staff RN  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits are good. The pay is great.

Cons

Micro management. Poor life/work balance. Punitive.

Office Politics and Lazy, Long-Term Union Employees Create Problems

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Benefits and pay are great.

Cons

HEAVY OFFICE POLITICS. SUPERVISORS PLAY FAVORITES. Unions create more problem co-workers than not. Productive workers take more heat than the ones who don't do anything, and when your supervisor or co-workers don't like you, they rat you out to union to try to get you fired by lying on you. Personal growth is little to none. TOO MUCH DRAMA IN THE OFFICE. HIRING PROCESS SLOW; HARD TO GET FOOT IN THE DOOR. Promotions are nil to none. Training is basically figuring it out yourself. Terrible managerial infrastructure. I was lied to on different occasions about aspects of my job changing up, and nothing happened. AVOID THIS COMPANY LIKE THE PLAGUE.

STOP ACCEPTING AND PROMOTING BEHAVIOR OF MEDIOCRE, LAZY WORKERS OVER PRODUCTIVE EMPLOYEES. Stop forcing others to participate in office politics. BE FAIR WITH EVERYONE.

Failing Corporate Organization...Run Don't Walk

Current Employee - Data Specialist  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Data Specialist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

KP has improved its reputation clinically speaking compared to the 80's "I don't want Kaiser...I want to live" reputation. A lot of the people who work here seem grateful to just have a job ("working retired", "poorly educated", etc.) when they would otherwise be working service industry or retail. If benefits matter to you more than a competitive salary (you are a secondary earner in your household), then I can see how KP would appeal to some people because they are gold plated. Admittedly, there are a lot of plum jobs for people who get into middle management "non-contributor" positions, but I would not count on that remaining for much longer. Pension for those who stay past 5 years. Once again, a lot is going to have to change around here shortly because of competitive pressure kicking in. It already has begun.

Cons

This is the most appalling run organization of its size in the world. Seriously, I think large parts of the federal government are better run than this house of cards/rubbish dump. Organizations rot from the head, and Kaiser Permanente suffers from this acutely. The "leadership" is absolutely terrible and completely out of their league when they are not just being flat out corrupt, nepotism, blatantly political, etc.. This trickles down to middle management which is very insecure, does not listen to their employees about staffing or resource concerns, and then acts very hands off until something big breaks and they start knifing people in the back out of contempt. Due to many of the rash decisions being made currently, the last good people with a few neurons to rub together are resigning, changing industries altogether, or taking early retirement. The core IT systems are a completely balkanized joke and show decades of mismanagement and neglect which could be enough to sink the organization by itself in this new day and age. Doctors and clinical folks have way too much say in corporate where they frequently know nothing. The HR organization appears to have been co-opted by union/diversity agenda people who help contribute to the equal opportunity, egalitarian, let mediocrity reign/"let's hire the least qualified/cheapest person we can possibly find who might have a prayer of holding down this job" heck hole of a work gulag full of demotivating incompetents that is KP.

Pull your head out of you nether regions, listen to the people on the ground who are actually working, and lay off the toxic, insecure "Old Kaiser" administrative do-nothings, professional box checkers, and other middle management morons. Take some of those huge savings and raise the salaries of key contributors by 20-30% to be market competitive, give them the resources to overhaul stupid old ways of doing things, and use the rest to begin lowering rates for our members. It would not be that difficult if you were not so debilitatingly, awe-inspiringly stupid.

HR Service Center

Current Employee - Specialist III  in  Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Specialist III in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free Benefits are awesome, not sure if it's worth the stress

Cons

The Alameda HRSC has a moving target for a Scorecard which leads many, many good employees to score low on monthly reviews which lead to Low moral. This site reminds me of a sweatshop, there's rows and rows of workers who aren't allowed to have even slight conversation as it'll slow down production. It's a near prison like atmosphere and you're treated like a daily prisoner released each day for family visits. I was pretty surprised my starting pay was so low.

Review the Scorecard system. Lighten up, let your employees have small talk even about the weather or sports or their families. They're there for 8 hours, let them have a few minutes to lighten the atmosphere. You might be surprised...they might actually discuss work if you let them talk.

Don't even think about it!

Current Employee - Physician  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Physician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Vested pension, after 10 years (even though it's unsecured).

Cons

Always short-staffed. Always. All jobs, all positions.

Stop with 'crisis' management, and chaos. Just stop.
    Be truthful.
    Treat everyone as an adult.
    Stop canceling vacations, sick leave, medical appointments, holidays, all in the name of 'patient care', comes first.

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!