Kaiser Permanente Reviews

3.6
1,602 Reviews

Kaiser Permanente Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bernard J. Tyson
Bernard J. Tyson

Pros
  • Some opportunity for work life balance depending on your superior (in 136 reviews)

• Great benefits - while I was there there was a very flexible work schedule (in 175 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no "work life balance" at Kaiser, contrary to the expressed platitude (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management is adept at finding new ways to run their best employees off (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Old school thinking will lead to stagnant growth

Current Employee - Non-clinical services coordinator  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Non-clinical services coordinator in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

+Great health benefits
    +Stable company that has long history
    +Well known and large in size
    +Ahead of its competitors
    +Able to leverage technology
    +Able to adapt to changes

Cons

-Even when you're more competent, highly skilled and has great potentials, hiring managers will go with "experience and previous title on paper". Sadly, in KP it is not what you know, but who you know.

-KP can't assess talent and won't grow its new work force (less than 5 years of services at KP). They sometimes hire from the outside for people with the "right" experience.

-Lack of training programs and opportunities for new work force (less than 5 years of services at KP)

-Horrible recruitment services. If you apply from the outside, you know how much of a black hole it is to apply on kp.org. It is not that much if you're a current employee applying to internal positions. Most KP recruiters are not helpful or friendly.

-Pay raises are very little and are capped out at a certain percentage each year.

-Each department is slow to make changes due to its large size and bureaucratic nature

-Lazy, and incompetent employees still allow to work, causing headaches for other dedicated, hard working, and competent employees.

Listen more to ideas from your employees when they identify problems and risks that need to be addressed. Also, change your way of assessing and recognizing your talented and skillful workforce. Provide more opportunities to train and develop your newer employees to promote loyalty. Need to get rid of leeches aka lazy, incompetent, and not dedicated employees.

Leadership is old and stale.

Former Employee - Project Manager II  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager II in Denver, CO

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Because Kaiser has a blue chip reputation in the industry, having work experience at Kaiser on my resume has opened more doors than I can count. Tough it out while you're working at Kaiser and the payoff will be when you leave.

Cons

Petty and dishonest management and leadership. They say they promote from within, but I didn't find this to be true. You will not be valued unless you are a clinician (RN, MD).

Demonstrate stronger values like integrity more often and more consistently. Bring in some younger, experienced talent. Enough of the "working retired".

Good learning experience.

Former Employee - Member Enroller  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Member Enroller in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good service culture. Does a good job finding invested employees. Not a lot of turnover.

Cons

Can be difficult for part-time employees to find a solid position. It can be a challenge to cross over into a different branch of the company.

Invest in those that really want to grow. Have a more stream-lined approach when it comes to career paths.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bureaucracy

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Their benefits are good. They give a lot of vacation which is good. If you are there for 5+ years, you vest into pension which is generous.

Cons

Huge bureaucracy within departments which makes it really hard to get anything done. Everything moves so slowly! They keep some very bad people which makes the work environment difficult at best and toxic at worst.

good

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year

Pros

good , esp for families with young kids. Flexible.
    But no stock options and salaries are not as high .
    very good for long term

Cons

commute takes long time for me.

Best place to work

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They really encourage the theme to Thrive to their employees as well and allows for a great growing community

Cons

It has a much different business model than most corporations

Good company

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for less than a year

Pros

Care of employees and fridenly

Cons

a little stress and work quickly

Great company, wtih great benefits.

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked as a salaried Consultant for six years. Benefits are good, pay was decent. PTO is awesome. Allowed me to telecommute once a week so promoted a healthy work-life balance.

Cons

Doctors get to enjoy all the big bonuses and pay increases. Not much help in career opportunities. Can be poliitcal at times when you work with senior management. Worked hard but never got promoted so not sure if they valued my contributions.

If you want to hire from within, maybe show what skills you need in order to advance your career in the company

Excel, Excel, Excel, not a single database containing all of the data

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great company with plenty of focus on being the leader in health care IT. Great people. Things are done via relations.

Cons

The company is highly "matrixed" in its management style. Project direction changes constantly and at times take a 180 degree change in focus. It is difficult to be in a newly formed group without a project charter. Vendor relations don't seem to be strong. Vendors seem to be ones setting direction and take a long time to service requests. I have seen/met with my direct manager only 4 times in my 6 months of employment. Tools are cumbersome to use. This position is one of an advisory nature however no one seems to be listening.

Data Analyst at Kaiser Permanente

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time

Pros

Kaiser offers good benefits, good working environment. Very friendly atmosphere. The patient is always the most important part of decision making.

Cons

A very big group, sometimes it can feel a little strange because new people come and go. A lot of change occurs so one has to be able to adapt. The expectations are high, work load during the time you are there is heavy

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!