Kaiser Permanente

Updated Jul 27, 2014

3.5 1,529 reviews

Kaiser Permanente Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bernard J. Tyson

Bernard J. Tyson

Pros
  • Some opportunity for work life balance depending on your superior(in 136 reviews)

• Great benefits - while I was there there was a very flexible work schedule(in 175 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no "work life balance" at Kaiser, contrary to the expressed platitude(in 36 reviews)

• Upper management is adept at finding new ways to run their best employees off(in 35 reviews)

1,529 Employee Reviews

Loved My Years There, But The Environment Was Changing

Human Resources (Former Employee)

ProsI worked at KP for many years; well compensated with good benefits, learned a lot, very interesting work, and most people were great and committed to the Company mission and patient care.

ConsThe environment started changing several years ago. In the facility where I worked not all were held to high standards of conduct and collaboration.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain a respectful workplace and assure all model high standards of conduct.

My experience of being on an implementation team for new pharmacy software was a nightmare.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Downey, CA

ProsKaiser offers a lot of different opportunities because it is such a large and expanding company.

ConsIn the technical area, Kaiser spends countless dollars on projects because management refuses to see the value of personnel trained in other areas than medical or pharmaceutical. Doctors and pharmacists negotiate technical contracts, manage projects etc. without experience and attention to industry standards. Projects are very poorly managed.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your strengths and limitations and accept the fact that being a medical or pharmaceutical professional does not equip you to perform in arenas dealing with technology. Eliminate so much of the job nepotism and let the non-medical professionals do the jobs that they are trained to do. .

Variable experience, depending on location and department leadership

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, especially comprehensive health care and retirement, PTO, employee discounts on certain goods and services such as theme parks and 24 Hour Fitness gym memberships. There is also a lot of opportunity for movement and growth because of the sheer size of the company. If you are motivated and ambitious, there is likely a career path for you.

ConsEmployees can have vastly different experiences depending on where and for whom they work. Wide range of management/leadership skill.
    In my experience, when a department needs to downsize, there is no effort by KP leadership to keep good, productive staff in the organization by helping them find new opportunities. They lose very good people that way, by just focusing on their immediate bottom line.
    It is very difficult to get hired on through the regular application process on the KP Careers website; it's much more likely to get hired by going through a contracting agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider helping good, productive employees within downsizing departments find new opportunities in KP, instead of just kicking them out of the organization.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

KP is a good employer, but career progress can stagnate.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsStability. Good benefits. Some management is forward thinking. Very diverse workforce.

ConsStingy with training. Slow moving company, somewhat behind the times in technology.

Rewarding

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsFantastic healthcare benefits and great work/life incentives. They really do a great job promoting healthy living and encouraging employees to thrive and take part in the healthy living classes that are available.

ConsCan get very stressful. High member volume .

I'm a lifer, but only because I have to be.

Pharmacy Clerk (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsFull benefits (paid!) medical and dental with a minimum of 24 hours worked per week. Many Kaisers in the area, so transferring is always an option if you move.

ConsPoor life/work balance. Educational Leave earned is never granted due to "operational needs", thus one has a very
    hard time moving ahead. Weak union; in bed with management, allows our vacation seniority to be taken away, allows for scheduling changes w/o proper notice to employee. Poor 401k matching

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your staff to learn and grow!! Some of us don't want to be clerks our whole life. We would love to be with Kaiser in other, well - paid fields such as radiology or nursing, but can never take a few hours off, or a day off with our hard earned Ed Leave to take pre-req classes because your management tells us the dept isn't fully staffed. We hear this year after year! Very unfair and doesn't give us a very high opinion of our employer.

Technology meets funding

ProsFlexible work hours and location. Lots of training available. Nice office space.

ConsTime off can be difficult and putting together more than a couple of days can be a struggle. Billable hours is the motto. Poor executive leadership, they understand how to blame and point.

Advice to Senior ManagementCIO should take a hard look at expensive programs which fail and at least set some example at the VP level. It seems like the the knowledgeable people don't want to get involved with Executives that make a career out of being right at all costs, rude to their employees and inept. Not disgruntled just stating the facts. You can work there and navigate around for a good work life scenario.

good benefits

Certified Nurses Assistant (Current Employee) Clackamas, OR

ProsGreat benefits and mostly hardworking staff

Consmanagement does not support workers

Advice to Senior Managementadhere to what policies state and support staff

Do not work here

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsLogistically I am very close to the location.

ConsFull Time Employees just do not want to work and there is no process followed here.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some competent people who actually know their stuff.

Great healthcare but not great for employees

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsThe benefits, larger company so you get time to adjust to a department

ConsConstant change, no pay raises for non-union employees, layoffs

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!