Kaiser Permanente

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.5 1,523 reviews

Kaiser Permanente Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bernard J. Tyson

Bernard J. Tyson

Pros
  • Some opportunity for work life balance depending on your superior(in 136 reviews)

• Great benefits - while I was there there was a very flexible work schedule(in 174 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no "work life balance" at Kaiser, contrary to the expressed platitude(in 36 reviews)

• Upper management is adept at finding new ways to run their best employees off(in 35 reviews)

1,523 Employee Reviews

Technology meets funding

ProsFlexible work hours and location. Lots of training available. Nice office space.

ConsTime off can be difficult and putting together more than a couple of days can be a struggle. Billable hours is the motto. Poor executive leadership, they understand how to blame and point.

Advice to Senior ManagementCIO should take a hard look at expensive programs which fail and at least set some example at the VP level. It seems like the the knowledgeable people don't want to get involved with Executives that make a career out of being right at all costs, rude to their employees and inept. Not disgruntled just stating the facts. You can work there and navigate around for a good work life scenario.

good benefits

Certified Nurses Assistant (Current Employee) Clackamas, OR

ProsGreat benefits and mostly hardworking staff

Consmanagement does not support workers

Advice to Senior Managementadhere to what policies state and support staff

Do not work here

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsLogistically I am very close to the location.

ConsFull Time Employees just do not want to work and there is no process followed here.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some competent people who actually know their stuff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great healthcare but not great for employees

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsThe benefits, larger company so you get time to adjust to a department

ConsConstant change, no pay raises for non-union employees, layoffs

Challenging and enjoyable

Director of Finance (Current Employee)

ProsPoorly warehouses data that makes analysis more challenging

ConsGrowth opportunities are limited in small markets and vacation time accrues slowly in the first years.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to find ways to pay raises

good place to work

Surg Tech (Former Employee) Salem, OR

Prosgood team work good hours

ConsI cant think of any. none

Advice to Senior ManagementIt wouldnt matter anyway.

Pretty good experience

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe opportunity to have an impact and pilot new approaches is great.

ConsThere is red tape like in any large corporation and not as much cooperation between the doctors and the health plan as one would expect.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need professional development in how to be effective.

Ageism

Project Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThis was a great place to work ten or 15 years ago. Good employee benefits and retirement plan. The culture has changed.

ConsVery bureaucratic. They bring in a lot of contractors who do good work and then never hire them. Every reorg gets rid of the oldest people. You can be there for years, you're out in a day.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrong team dynamic, groups run like a family...a dysfunctional family.

Kaiser Permanente is one of the best private industry healthcare companies to work for.

Health Information Correspondence Technician (Former Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsExcellent health care benefits. Has union representation for most positions. If you are hired as a union employee, it is very easy to change positions within the company due to union seniority preference.

ConsNon union employees can get overlooked for positions if a union employee applies. Salary increases for non union are minimal.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to suggestions from employed. Don't be intimidated by the knowledge and expertise of your staff.

MA/RN

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Hayward, CA

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsManagement has a different agenda given by HQ

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport staff

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!