Kaiser Permanente Reviews

3.6
1,603 Reviews

Kaiser Permanente Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bernard J. Tyson
Bernard J. Tyson

Pros
  • Some opportunity for work life balance depending on your superior (in 136 reviews)

• Great benefits - while I was there there was a very flexible work schedule (in 175 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no "work life balance" at Kaiser, contrary to the expressed platitude (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management is adept at finding new ways to run their best employees off (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Strong mission but bureaucratic and slow

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone believes in the mission of the organization
    Health care benefits are strong

Cons

Besides health care benefits, there aren't many perks that you would find in a for profit company (i.e., matching to savings plan)
    Although everyone aligns to mission, very political and protectionist culture, not collaborative
    More mature employee population with old school mentality on culture (people work very late, on weekends, and during PTO and holidays)

Like all companies, it has its pluses and minuses

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefit package including retirement plan, generous amounts of paid time off, medical, dental, life etc. There are usually plenty of opportunities within the organization.

Cons

Salaries aren't very competitive, and annual increases are usually tiny (and that's if you get one). The organization is going through a bunch of changes due to the new ACA landscape.

It's like golden handcuffs!

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, pension if you get one.

Cons

Takes too long to get anything accomplished. Too many unions.

Take better care of your exempt staff.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Paying Job if you just keep doing your job and mind your own business

Former Employee - Admitting Representative  in  Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Admitting Representative in Modesto, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Co-workers are the best part of the job you will have friendships that will last forever, Pay is also great especially if you just want to play your position and do not try to advance.

Cons

Company values states they care for the Members but every time you try to be member focus or customer service focus, you kind of get penalized, Leadership is hit and miss you might get a good Manager but in the end they have to survive for themselves so you can count on being thrown underneath the bus and if push comes to shove they will not have your back. Very disappointed with company, been with company for over 15 years and after leaving cannot find a job, they train you to be a Kaiser employee for life not allowing you to gain experience to be a well rounded employee for any company but them.

Remember we all use the bathroom....your not special.

Will work you to death. The benefits don't make up for the stress.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Programmer  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Programmer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Benefits really are the best around. My Kaiser health insurance is free. I had a medical procedure and it cost me $20 co-pay, that's it. Pension (if you can make it 5 years for it to vest) + 5% matching on 457b.
    - Lots of PTO, but in certain areas it's very difficult to use due to understaffing. I get 22 PTO days + 4 personal days.
    - My team allows telecommuting, so I never go into the office. This is a gigantic perk for me, and I realize that not all teams at KP do this.

Cons

- Working here (at least in info security) is incredibly stressful. Lots of off-hours work, on-call shifts, and constant frenzied pace throughout the day. Not uncommon for people to have health problems from stress.
    - No one knows how to get anything done. New employee that needs access to certain resources? Your manager will have no idea where to look, neither will your teammates.
    - Bad/non-existent documentation for processes.
    - Management doesn't receive adequate training. Most of them are either completely absent or totally micromanaging and won't back you up when you need them.
    - Revolving door of contractors. As soon as they get up to speed and have good knowledge of our domain, they're forced out the door. They're also treated poorly compared to FTEs.
    - Below market salary. They think the benefits make up for this, but not really. I've begun searching for new positions and they've all paid 20-40k more for similar work.
    - Constant re-orgs, followed by 20 meetings of executive-speak trying to explain why the re-org needed to happen.
    - Told you can move to a new team, but you'll never hear back on internal applications unless you know the hiring manager. I've seen this happen multiple times.
    - Nepotism. Someone gets promoted to manager and brings a bunch of their friends to work for them, even though they're not qualified. I've seen this on several teams.

- Hire more FTEs, not temporary contractors. Due to understaffing, employees are sick with stress and work/life balance is awful.
    - Provide better training to managers. At past companies, I felt I could rely on my manager and that they had good knowledge of the company and how to navigate it. Here, if you ask management a question, the response is usually "I don't know." Doesn't instill much confidence.
    - Pay better. The workload for many of us in security is tremendous and the hours are brutal. The benefits here really ARE great, but they don't make up for salary being dramatically below market rate.

Loved My Years There, But The Environment Was Changing

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked at KP for many years; well compensated with good benefits, learned a lot, very interesting work, and most people were great and committed to the Company mission and patient care.

Cons

The environment started changing several years ago. In the facility where I worked not all were held to high standards of conduct and collaboration.

Maintain a respectful workplace and assure all model high standards of conduct.

Manager in the Kaiser Hospital and Health Plan Central Valley area

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent benefits and nice facilities, good coworkers.

Cons

Expectations of Leadership are unrealistic, you are not suppose to have a private live if you are a manager. You are on call 24/7 or as needed according to your immediate Director. You are reminded constantly that you need to be thankful to work for KP, and never receive an honest recognition unless ir has a marketing or PR advantage for the organization.

They need to realize that everyone that works for any good organization is thankful for that. Every employee wants to do their best but it is very discouraging when the leadership feels so superior and always reminds you how unimportant you are.

Progressive company hampered by bureaucratic business people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Progressive values
    Great people
    Excellent benefits
    Integrated care delivery system

Cons

Bureaucrats who understand nothing about delivering frontline health care run the show - they talk a good game about 'quality of care' but all decisions reflect the bottom line, always - members' needs are never at the forefront of their thinking

Reduced access to resources and understaffing are chronic - staff constantly pushed for more productivity with less resources, increasing trend to reduce local non-frontline personnel (I.e. Billing, HR) in favor of centralized national ones or electronic process (I.e. Eliminate patient check in staff with electronic kiosks)

Terrible middle managers (absolutely terrible) - unqualified nurse managers oversee more capable staff

Change is a constant, new ideas promoted before the old ones have been worked out, always think they're reinventing the wheel

Tense labor-management environment undergirds everything in the organization

Wonderful place to work

Former Employee - Legal Assistant  in  Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a collaborative environment. Everyone is helpful from the top down, and there is a huge organizational effectiveness team working to make life easier.

Cons

Holiday are not paid, they come out of your PTO balance so starting out as a new employee, it's hard to earn time off during the first year.

Variable experience, depending on location and department leadership

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits, especially comprehensive health care and retirement, PTO, employee discounts on certain goods and services such as theme parks and 24 Hour Fitness gym memberships. There is also a lot of opportunity for movement and growth because of the sheer size of the company. If you are motivated and ambitious, there is likely a career path for you.

Cons

Employees can have vastly different experiences depending on where and for whom they work. Wide range of management/leadership skill.
    In my experience, when a department needs to downsize, there is no effort by KP leadership to keep good, productive staff in the organization by helping them find new opportunities. They lose very good people that way, by just focusing on their immediate bottom line.
    It is very difficult to get hired on through the regular application process on the KP Careers website; it's much more likely to get hired by going through a contracting agency.

Consider helping good, productive employees within downsizing departments find new opportunities in KP, instead of just kicking them out of the organization.

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!