Kaiser Permanente

Kaiser Permanente Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Kaiser Permanente Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bernard J. Tyson

Bernard J. Tyson

Pros
  • Some opportunity for work life balance depending on your superior(in 136 reviews)

• Great benefits - while I was there there was a very flexible work schedule(in 175 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no "work life balance" at Kaiser, contrary to the expressed platitude(in 36 reviews)

• Upper management is adept at finding new ways to run their best employees off(in 35 reviews)

46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Take the good with the bad.

Supervisor (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsExcellent Pay, great promotion opportunities.

ConsStuck in mid 80's management style

Advice to Senior ManagementListen...

Great company, horribly handled by management

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsThis is a great company to work for, awesome benefits, great compensation (above average), unionized, all the bells an whistles one expect

ConsThe seniority concept is horrible. Management (specifically Reston VA) only considers senior staff opinions...someone can simply not like you and make your life hell just for that simple reason. Even though you're a great employee and have more experience and qualification than them.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a balance between management and employees, employees that stand around and only make themselves look productive are not an asset to your department. Likewise, when such employees are criticizing others on their team, it says more about their character than the person they are bashing. Playing favorites is unfair, unprofessional, and unethical.

Great Place to Intern

Media Relations Intern (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsCorporate Culture, friendly staff, no micro-managing, relevant tasks, fair compensation, parking, location, good "real world" experience

ConsNo big complaints, perhaps a little more direction and internal communication may have been helpful to get feedback and make sure everyone is all on the same page regarding projects and overall internship tasks and goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire sooner, I wasn't notified until Christmas Break for a spring internship.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great vision, and caring about employees as a human being.

Maintenance (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsKP is a non for profit organization, thriving to serve the community. It is a great place to work because statistics can prove, low turnover rate in all department.

ConsWith bad economy and focus on healthcare cost, they are looking for many ways to save money, and some position are getting outsource.
    Be careful with some new managers who doesn't want to embrace the company culture, they can give you headache. daily.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring and promoting to Management position non-educated people. They are not open-minded and will only make the organization less efficient and deteriorate employees moral.

Nurse

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsGreat pay, benefits are good, paid holidays, Holiday pay is great, union to back you up (sometimes).

ConsCompany is always trying to lay off employees, lack of communication from management, Pay Union dues but Union does crap for nurses. They can transfer you to any center with a 30 days notice. They don't care where you live or how far you have to travel.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication with employees, stop picking favorites, never take a management position with this company as "they don't last long"

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Experience is good.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsBest health care computer connectivity

ConsJob security unless you are high seniority

Advice to Senior ManagementMore senior people would retire if the retirement was better. Offer healthcare
    And retirement bonus.

Kaiser has a lot to offer.

Clinical Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsKaiser is a solid company and has good benefits with a enjoyable environment to work in, staff and coworkers in the centers are professional yet have the family caring or nurturering. Great opportunity for training and education.

Consyou are busy. Due to the Healthcare accessibility act they are in the process of restructuring staffing leaner. They are insourcing a lot of procedure but outsourcing a lot of their support services.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake control of services provided from California. They often don't understand our operation in Mid Atlantic.

I loved Kaiser Permanente the contract ended due to budget.

SME (Former Employee) Calverton, MD

Prosrated one of the best places to work

Consmy position was contract so I dont have much to say about the company

Advice to Senior Managementgreat place to work

Great to work here

Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsHas a great collaborative culture, offers good benefits, and it's motivating to work at an employer generally acknowledged to be at forefront of transformation in health care

ConsCan be a little bureaucratic at times; would be great to have more flexibility in product offerings; some systems and technology on the insurance side are outdated

Great job with amazing benefits

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsHigh professional people with amazing experience. You can easily improve your skills

ConsReally hard working environment. Usually work 60 hours per week

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication between teams.

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!