Kalamazoo College Reviews

CEO

1. Beautiful campus

Current Employee - Prospect Research in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Prospect Research in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Kalamazoo College (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good collegial culture; opportunities to serve the college outside of my job; free wellness program; discounted or often free access to college arts and other programs.

Cons

The pay could be better.

2. Anonymous

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Stevens, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Stevens, WA

I worked at Kalamazoo College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers have a relaxed and healthy culture. At the same time are professional and set high standards for excellence. Loved working there.

Cons

The fast paced environment can feel over whelming at times. Getting behind on work specially early on in a project can make catching up really tough.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work. I believe the high standards you set attracts the best of candidates. Consider having more "snow days" ! Thank you!

Many little things add up to be a lot of work

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Kalamazoo College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid-for single is definitely something worth the work! Working with a staff is also a great experience (at least it was for some staffs, but not all are as cohesive).

Cons

Working with a staff is difficult, especially if everyone comes with different expectations and the individuals can not maintain their credibility. Picking up the slack of others is never enjoyable, and if you hold yourself to a high moral/work-ethic standard then there is a chance that you will feel like your staff is not reciprocating that effort. Furthermore, staying up until late hours in the night is never fun....not for me at least.

Advice to Management

Check the integrity of the RAs you hire, since not all of them are as great as they say. I understand that a mix of personalities and backgrounds is needed, but many times it happens that one RA just wants to cheat the system and let everyone pass through, and it makes all the other RAs look like the "bad cop" when we really are just doing what the management is asking us to do.

5. Resident Assistant

Former Employee - Resident Assistant
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant

I worked at Kalamazoo College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work with an awesome staff, free single room, gain skills dealing with conflicts/difficult situations, get to plan fun activities & events for the residence hall

Cons

May have to stay up late some nights, can be stressful (especially if combined with difficult coursework), you feel like you have to turn a blind eye to things that other staff members do (when you would have to report a resident for seeing them same thing)

Advice to Management

Don't pick RAs just for their mixed backgrounds when not everyone is meant to be an RA/work with a certain staff.

6. Close knit community made it enjoyable to work there!

I worked at Kalamazoo College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked with some really great people, the pay and benefits were above average, and I had ample opportunities to grow personally. The work was challenging but, at least in my area, we worked as a team so if you had a question there was always someone to consult. Expectations were high but not unrealistic.

Cons

Training budget was always low so didn't get as may opportunities to increase my skillset as much as I wanted to.

Advice to Management

Please be clear with those in middle management as to the boundaries of their authority and then back them up when they make policy decisions within those boundaries.

7. I worked as a teacher's assistant teaching coding to incoming freshman.

Pros

You have flexible hours. You can work and study and still have time for other things.

Cons

have to hold office hours once a week and pay is not great. Only open to current students. Work can be stressful.

8. Student

Pros

Great professors and good student to faculty ratio

Cons

City of Kalamazoo is not too exciting. The social life can be difficult.

9. My years as a Resident Assistant were years well-spent.

Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Kalamazoo College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic coworkers Management was always available, very fair Any problem you meet can be solved Work-life balance is not always easy but by no means impossible. Training is extensive

Cons

The pay that came with optional summer duty was a sham and absolutely not worth the effort. For better or worse, you will always be known as "Person the RA" instead of "Person" - your actions on campus and in your personal life will always be (more or less) available for public consumption

Advice to Management

If anything, try to make mandatory training sessions about a topic that relates DIRECTLY to the job itself.

10. Good Place to work

Current Employee - Summer Student Worker in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Summer Student Worker in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Kalamazoo College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people in the crew.

Cons

There are not really any cons. It is what you expect at the given wage rate.

11. Awesome place

Former Employee - Senior Resident Assistant in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Resident Assistant in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Kalamazoo College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really nice culture, learned a lot. Especially considering that this is a college, very aware of class schedule, so I never felt overworked.

Cons

Not very many cons. Sometimes the work could be overwhelming but for the most part it was situational. As I said above they handle their business well and the only reason I left was graduation

RSS Feed </> Embed