Kaleida Health Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014

3.5

Kaleida Health President, CEO, and Director Jim Kaskie
Jim Kaskie

Passion for the patients, workforce and my leadership & management position

Former Employee - Manager of Imaging Services  in  Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Manager of Imaging Services in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Kaleida Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Administration supported celebrating workforce contribution, process improvements & re-engineering and delivery of patient care.
    Administration supportive of Management Team
    Administration very visible

Cons

Deadlines changed often with limited turn around time to meet deadline change.
    Difficult time taking all of PTO time- often lost PTO time
    Management was not allowed to roll over PTO more than 40hrs into next year.
    Work and life balance was more on work side.
    Middle management constant risk for lay-off regardless how well you performed

Policy regarding no e-mails after 6pm, allowance to ensure using PTO and if unable allowed to carry all PTO into following year. Support for work-life balance

Keep up visibility and acknowledgement of workforce...celebrate

Managers and Supervisors are not Respected

I worked at Kaleida Health

Pros

Patient centered Care and provides quality service. The company is the premeir health care provider in Buffalo and is ghe regions number one employer. I loved the people I worked with, some of whom are still with Kaleida.

Cons

Treats Union employees better than its management team who are viewed as expendable. Management team has not had raises for 4 years regardless of production or ranking. Promised raises in June vanished the day they were promised and "rescheduled" to 4th Quarter.

Why are great managers escorted out while underperforming senior leaders continue? When senior leaders don't display leadership qualities and are not replaced it brings everyone down. Why is it environmental employees can identify a poor leader but our senior leaders cannot.

A churning culture...

Current Employee - Rather Not Say  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Kaleida Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of good people, with good intentions who are focused on healthcare and helping patients. Experience is good as you are exposed to many different systems and learn a little about a lot of them. 28 days paid vacation is not bad at all.

Cons

Lack of communication! Nobody knows what others are doing. Common to have others working on similar projects, only to find out after the 2 systems are in Production. Too many applications to count. They could benefit from application consolidation and defining and streamlining processes. They are understaffed in IST and overwhelm all with endless projects some of which are already being superceded and replaced. It's a vicious cycle. They are firing people left and right so everyone is on pins and needles. They just show up with an empty box, and you are done!

Define the problems that exist at Kaleida that technology can fix. Go after the root cause. Fix it. Have monthly meetings with EVERYONE from IST and our CIO to talk about our direction, vision, projects, timeline, etc. Inventory the hundreds of applications we have and consolidate where we can. Get systems connected and on the same page across the enterprise. Work with vendors/customers/3rd parties to put intelligent systems in place to fix issues that exist, without creating more issues.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I liked my job, my boss, my co-workers but I was laid off due to business conditions.

Former Employee - IT Department Tech  in  Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - IT Department Tech in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Kaleida Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My immediate boss gives workers ample opportunity for growth and advancement. He allowed us to make judgement calls without micro-managing his employees. I feel he is an exceptionally good manager.

Cons

The health insurance is expensive and requires a lot of high co-pays. It is a lousy plan and gets worse every couple of years when the company switches to yet another health insurance company. One would think a hospital corporation would have good health care for their empoloyees!

Bring the IT salaries up

Proud to be associated because: patient centeredness, clinical excellence & best practices and customer satisfaction.

Former Employee - Manager of Imaging Services  in  Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Manager of Imaging Services in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Kaleida Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

On-boarding process was very positive an valuable asset. Administration's visibility and supportive to management is outstanding and extends to the workforce. Celebrations are supported and encouraged.

Cons

Administration needs to support management work and life balance....unable to use all PTO due to frequent change in deadlines on reports, projects and or other work related issues. Provide Management perks to identify them as leaders. As management there was fear of lay-off regardless of your experience, competencies and positive evaluations

Recommendation that actual provides time for management to use all of PTO time or at least roll-over all remaining time into following year. Policy regarding no e-mail correspondence after 6pm unless dire emergency (life and death). Continue to be visible not only to management team but to the workforce(that was a very positive influencer).

generally good

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Kaleida Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

salary and benefits are competive

Cons

construction mess, parking is difficult sometimes

stick with a plan

You are just a number

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Kaleida Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ability to change departments if you are unhappy.

Cons

Volume of work puts your license at risk; managers are unhelpful and clueless.

Spend a day shadowing an RN in subacute care and you will be enlightened.

Company is going downhill fast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Kaleida Health full-time

Pros

Great benefits & paid time off, coworkers are great

Cons

Many layoffs/downsizing, low salaries/opportunities for raises for many employees who are non-union, but not upper management. Certain members of upper management do not treat staff well. Employees are overworked and expected to put in lots of unpaid overtime. We are constantly expected to do significantly more work with significantly less staff & resources. We understand that times are tough, but management definitely needs to rethink strategy.

Going down the drain

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Kaleida Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay, some of the benefits, but you ca't use the time off most of the time.

Cons

Administration has no idea what they are doing. Profits are the sole motivator. The work environment is at best, toxic. Union and management are at odds over everything instead of working together. We dont even self schedule anymore. Administration seems to think they can do better planning our schedules, but will leave the floor unstaffed one day and well over staffed the next. Layoffs are eminent. You would be hard pressed to find more than a very small handful of happy nurses through out the system. 15 % of the people employed are management or higher. Patient care comes last as far as administration is concerned

Resign, get out of heath care, don't work where lives matter.

I Love my Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Kaleida Health part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary, co-workers, intercity location, patients, job oppourtunites

Cons

parking, cleanliness, stress, staffing, communication

listen to your workers and cherish them. The hospital runs because of us and we are grateful to work for you but please keep us in mind when you make those executive staffing choices.

Worked for Kaleida Health? Contribute to the Community!