Kalmbach Publishing

www.kalmbach.com

Kalmbach Publishing Reviews

2.8

Gerald B. Boettcher

Once strong, a company with good people faltering under leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Kalmbach Publishing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Talented workforce, friendly people, professional environment, solid orientation, organized at many levels, committed to providing high-quality products and services for customers

Cons

Poor opportunity for advancement, training geared toward managers, new leadership prioritizing cost savings above all else, HR department uninterested in addressing the concerns of well-reviewed employees

Really treat your employees like you treat your customers. Invest in good people to make your products even better.

Just ok

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Marketing in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Kalmbach Publishing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good hours, profit sharing- they tried to make the place fun to work. Good balance of meetings and work load. most of my co-workers were nice and enjoyable.

Cons

There are a lot of politics and the editors of the magazines seem to run the show. The job itself was very repetitive.

Nice environment

I have been working at Kalmbach Publishing full-time

Pros

Everyone is very nice.
    Flexible.
    No micro-managing.
    Very customer focused.

Cons

Poor compensation.
    OK benefits.
    Hard to get promoted or move up the ladder in the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good atmosphere. Average benefits. Poor compensation.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Kalmbach Publishing

Pros

Customer focus mindset throughout the company. Belief in life/work balance. Genuinely nice people to work with.

Cons

Poor compensation. Very conservative, however that means all decisions are carefully thought out.

Upgrade compensation to industry level.

Nice company and nice people

Former Employee - Sales  in  Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Sales in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Kalmbach Publishing

Pros

Customer Focus program makes it so workplace conflicts are nearly non-existent. The company has solid benefits and is one of the nicest places I have ever worked.

Cons

Compensation is much lower than what is given by other companies. Their policies are very black and white and trying to find wiggle room within them or trying to make recommendations for change can be a difficult and time-consuming process. The Customer Focus program can sometimes make people too sensitive to make mountains out of molehills when it comes to perceived violations of the program.

Salaries for employees with experience are the equivalent of entry-level positions with other companies. When employees make suggestions, allow them to speak with the ultimate decision-makers so that they can answer questions and argue their side rather than run things up and down the ladder with tiered communications.

Awful place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Kalmbach Publishing

Pros

It seems like a wonderful company when you first start to work here. Everyone treats you great and is more than willing to help - at first.

Cons

The management is ABSOLUTELY awful. They do not follow policies and procedures and the minute anyone else has a suggestion about doing things a little better, you're immediately shunned and your ideas are shot down. They pass their work on to other employees and make up positions such as "coordinator" to be the eyes of the department. This way your "supervisor" doesn't have to do any work. Their work practice is, "if you can't figure out how to do something, look and see what the person did before you in this position". There is no direction. You get told to do one thing, and then the complete opposite the next minute.

If you don't ask questions, you get in trouble. If you ask too many questions, they scold you for that as well. Your work is not valued. I was actually told by my manager "it doesn't matter how well you do, or how much good you do, one mistake and everyone thinks you're incompetent."

MISTAKES ARE NOT ALLOWED, even if you are a beginner and have no idea how the department works.

Train your employees better. Listen to ideas and act on them. Pay attention to what's going on in your department. Don't have your department "pet" walk all over you. If you have questions about someone's work ethic or way of doing things, confront them yourself. If you see someone making a mistake, teach them the RIGHT way of doing it. MOST IMPORTANTLY - reward employees for good work and don't dwell on the minute mistakes they make. EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES. Including the supervisor i had who didn't even know what I did on a daily basis in the department.

Dissapointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Kalmbach Publishing

Pros

flex time and okay health insurance

Cons

They don't respect your abilities, and it's a lot like high school -- you have your popular group (who are management's pets and get raises and promotions), and then those who they order around. They don't treat new-comers very fairly. The communication between management and those who worked the cubicles was very minimal and undermining. I have a high degree in what I do, and it wasn't respected and my experience and education -- that was more than some of their management -- was ignored. I actually got a demotion, not because of ability because they loved my work, but because one of the management's pets wanted the position that I had. I suppose if you stay there long enough and can take the treatment, you could grow into one of the favorites and succeed. . . maybe.

Worked for Kalmbach Publishing? Contribute to the Community!