Kamehameha Schools
www.ksbe.edu Honolulu, HI 1000 to 5000 Employees

Kamehameha Schools Reviews

Updated Jan 27, 2014

Dee Jay A. Mailer

Mission driven organization with room for professional growth and advancement

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kamehameha Schools full-time

Pros-Many different departments within the organization which allows for flexibility and possibility of moving to best fit area
-For a non-profit organization, has a more flexible spending base and fair salaries
-Employee benefits like health care are kept low for employees
-Focused on operations to last in perpetuity and for greater good of Native Hawaiians and for Hawai'i, in general
-Mission-based organization investing a lot in education

Cons-Many jobs available are Limited Term which offers less than full range benefits

SQL Server DBA

I worked at Kamehameha Schools for less than a year

ProsGreat environment and people to work with.

ConsVery Restricted policy for Contractors.

cronies and former students only

I have been working at Kamehameha Schools

ProsSchool to educate Hawaiian children. $9.4 Billion asset to fund schools. Involved in local community to educate Hawaiian culture

Conscorrupt management and trustees. Trustees wants 10 year term being paid over $90,000. What do they exactly do? If Princess Bernice only knew of this corruption in the schools.
i agree with one of the reviewer that this school only hire former students and cronies. You will be interviewed but they will just waste your time. Don't bother to apply if you are not related to this school.

Advice to Senior Managementreplace the corrupt management and cronies trustees and replace them with honest people.

Mission driven organization and staff

I worked at Kamehameha Schools full-time

Prosi really enjoyed my time at the school. The work that KS does is very important to the community and to those that directly benefit. excellent professional development opportunities.

ConsThe union causes a divide between faculty and staff. There are not many career advancement opportunities within the organization. KS has lost a lot of great, talented staff because of this.

Excellent organization to work for!

Applicant Services Assistant (Former Employee)
Honolulu, HI

I worked at Kamehameha Schools as a contractor for less than a year

Pros-- The team in the financial aid office is superb! Employees were very friendly, receptive and encouraging.
-- Compensation and benefits were satisfactory for the job performed. A lot of companies in Hawaii tend to undercut on salary/wage; not so with Kamehameha Schools.
-- Kamehameha is not only very inclusive of their employees, but also community oriented as well. I remember going on a tour with the strategic division; this tour was to inform employees of the school's current development projects in the local community. The school encourages employees to participate in community events.

Cons-- The organization could use more support in their financial aid office. Employees there are burdened with a lot of work that must be processed quickly and efficiently, especially during the peak season in spring.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to treat your employees well! They are really what makes this company such a great place to work for.

Kamehameha Schools is a great place to work.

I have been working at Kamehameha Schools

ProsKamehameha Schools is rich in its Hawaiian heritage and culture. The mission is compelling and they treat their employees well. They provides its employees with growth and developmental opportunities to enhance and refine their skills, knowledge, and abilities.

ConsInclusive decision making sometimes make it difficult for the organization to be flexible and nimble. Need to find a better balance between incusivity and accountability.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead to succeed!

Beware, looks can be deceiving!

I worked at Kamehameha Schools

ProsIf you lack experience or lack knowlegde and are lazy but are a graduate of the school then this is the place for you. They don't appreciate anyone who is not a graduate even if they have excellent skills and work hard.

ConsFear, low pay, small mindedness, politics, racism,

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees and let them do their jobs without micromanaging. Management would do well to learn their own jobs and to work a little harder.

Worked for Kamehameha Schools? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kamehameha Schools reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kamehameha Schools CEO Dee Jay A. Mailer. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Kamehameha Schools employees.