Kampgrounds of America

Jim Rogers

1. I love my job.

Current Employee - Front Desk in Perry, FL
    Current Employee - Front Desk in Perry, FL

I have been working at Kampgrounds of America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My employers treat me very well. I get a lot of respect at my job, and my employers are very kind to me.

Cons

My hours are limited during the week. And sometimes business is slow, so I get bored sometimes.

2. "Workamper" jobs pay less than the minimum wage, unless you think the space is worth at least $1000 a month.

Current Employee - "Workamper" in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - "Workamper" in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Kampgrounds of America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a way to learn the business, if you are thinking about a "real" job in the campground industry - think of it as a very low-stipend internship.

Cons

"Workamper" jobs pay less than the minimum wage when you consider the inflated values that are put on the space rent, whether that rent is "included" or not. It is better, if you want to live on wheels and support yourself, to live in a less-expensive park, get a real job off-campus, and pay the space rent with your above-minimum wage paycheck.

Advice to Management

I can't give advice to an "industry" that seems to be having great success with this "workamper" system. Their success would seem to prove my criticism to be wrong - "If it works don't fix it." If I was a campground owner I would do the same thing if I wanted to maximize profits - but I would not be very proud of myself. Owners could ask themselves whether the "workamper" system is ethical only because it is legal.

3. Good summer job, but that is about it.

I have been working at Kampgrounds of America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good, varied experience. Spent time managing a cash register, helping customers make reservations, maintaining grounds, and pumping gas. Good management!

Cons

Few hours, some customers are abusive. Coworkers are hit and miss - some will help you out, others will not. Bathrooms are nasty.

Advice to Management

Hire fewer people but give them more hours! Further, let them specialize a bit more.

Bad I.T., worse leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billings, MT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Billings, MT

I have been working at Kampgrounds of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can make your own fun here by working with the good franchises and hoping the bad ones stay to themselves.

Cons

This was a good company until the CEO pulled out of daily operations. Most current department heads are in it for themselves and don't care about their employees. Stay OUT of the Franchise Services and IT departments!

Advice to Management

Clean house in the corner offices. This company would run better without any senior management. I

Kampgrounds of America is an ok place to work.

I have been working at Kampgrounds of America full-time

Pros

The best reasons to work at KOA are the customers. As a franchise company, we get to work with campground owners as well as campers. Our focus is on creating great memories and experiences for our guests. We achieve that through offering great services for our campground owners.

Cons

The biggest challenges at KOA have to do with leadership. Often things are moving in so many directions at once that we sometimes don't end up offering the best products we could. Leadership has a habit of changing priorities many times a year. As a result, moral can be low and people don't feel like they're accomplishing their best work.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to create plans and stick with them.

7. This management experiance is fulfilling as you see thing come to fruition.

Current Employee - Manager in East Stroudsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in East Stroudsburg, PA

I have been working at Kampgrounds of America

Pros

work kampers welcome, partner jobs available, close to NYC, long-term and short-term positions available, outdoor work, full or part time,

Cons

most of the time the on-site manager has been a seasonal work kamper so there is no consistancy of management.

8. They could do MUCH better

Current Employee - Maintenance
    Current Employee - Maintenance

I have been working at Kampgrounds of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee in the morning. Access to free games and such provided by the campground, relatively clean atmosphere.... That's about it.

Cons

I work at one of there corporate owed campgrounds. The cons are: VERY low pay,most General Managers are clueless to operating a recreational facility. The regional V.P. has not even owned an R.V. They don't invest in their properties which is unbelievable but true. No benefits at all. This is the worst paying, most poorly managed company I have ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Pay your full time regular employee's a reasonable wage with benefits. Invest in products and services that you will get a return on. Hire managers that are experienced in the business. Even if you have to hire out of company.

RSS Feed </> Embed