Kane's Furniture

Be The First To
Add Photos

Irwin Novack

Unless You Are Desperate

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsThe best thing about working here is quitting .

ConsIncredibly cheap company , During training , you are expected to share a hotel room with a complete stranger and to ride share because only one of you will get paid for gas maileage , even though you may live an hour or two away . Much too much fighting and bickering on the salesfloor , created a hostile atmosphere . management does nothing but stay in their office and disregards the chaos . Buying sales from other salespeople is common, so that they are boosted to the next commission level . You MUST deliver at least $45,000 per month to receive 4 % or else you are paid minimum wage . The top salesperson delivered ONE MILLION in delivered sales and still only made $60,000 for the year . This for late nights , weekends and midnight sales where you must stay until midnight . Everything is geared to the benefit of the owners , not the employees. It is a revolving door for employees , they don't stay .

Advice to Senior ManagementREVAMP EVERYTHING !

Constant drama , Constant Fighting , Not worth it

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsAir conditioned . Well kept showroom.

ConsI have worked on several sales floors in my life and this is undoubtedly THE ABSOLUTE WORST ! If they attracted a quality sales staff it would be different but they don't .
    Third world , third grade educated dreck is what pollutes the sales floor . There is a daily knock down fight . One salesperson was removed in hand cuffed by the police and taken to jail . Management is impotent , sits in their office and ignores the situation . This was an interim job , but the negatives far out weigh the positives .Any mistakes in sales orders , the employee pays for it . I opened my wallet a couple of times . I can tolerate a lot crap if I'm making money but we are not . Unless you are absolutely desperate , look else where . You are just a warm body .. The owner is great at exploitation . They are getting rich, you are not or ever will.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring trailer trash . There are enough qualified unemployed people right now , that it would not be hard to find some that are educated and have manners and not dealing drugs in the parking lot .

I can't believe I worked there for over 2 years... shame on me!

Furniture Sales (Former Employee)
    Ocoee, FL

ProsThe weekday schedule is somewhat flexible, (except for holidays) which is why I chose to work here, as I had other things going on during the week. Also, can be fun during slow times / camaraderie with associates. You have a good chance of qualifying for food stamps if that is your goal.

ConsRevolving door! HIGH TURNOVER!!! Training sessions are always going on. Earning potential is diluted due to the excess of sales associates per store. The only way to succeed is to steal other associates customers when they walk away for a second. They advertise sales earnings of 100,000, but if you divide the store sales by number of associates, it is not possible. Commission is very low (lower than competition). Upper Management; ARCHAIC, store managers who work hard and produce are not valued or treated with respect. Very political. Most sales associates (even the top 3) qualify for food stamps (yes we ran the analysis at my store). Most people who stayed at my store were complacent and or semi-retired and have spouses with main income. Management usually finds reasons to: charge back commissions, not honor warranties to customers, dock drivers for furniture damage that they are not responsible for. Items we sell often become out-of-stock after the sale, and that means no commission until it is back in stock (could be months). Promotions are usually shady and misleading. I could go on....

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn motivational and management skills that have been taught after the 1960's. Treat store managers with respect when they deserve it. Be honest with customers. Stop firing lower level managers for things beyond their control. Stop penalizing sales associates sales volumes during vacations (duh). Hire fewer sales associates of a higher quality and pay a higher commission and improve retention. A win-win, as costs go down, customer service increases, as does morale.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay if you need a supplement, but don't stay there.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsQuiet atmosphere, Paid training, Nice Managerial staff. The job itself isn't extremely stressful once you learn how to do it.

ConsPoor pay for amount of work - I am getting more pay than people who have more experience than me and my pay is horrific - less than $10 p/h

Rude staff - one particular person was good at what they do, but they don't do much work to be considered an employee.

Poor setup - EVERYTHING IS COMPLICATED! Lots of paper to file and to make matters worse, there is a computer system that is very out dated!

Advice to Senior ManagementPerks to CSR's should be mandatory.

associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosvendors are nice they bring alot of goodies to show the associates their appreciate them selling their product.

Conshours are awful, they fire people left and right, the pay is a joke they are not organized and completely out of the ball park when it comes to managing within the law. They have to have lawsuits against them.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew fresh young talent that are capable enough to train strong staffs. Clean up your stores. They are filthy and outdated.

Decent place to work

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsGood selection, can make money if you work hard and smart

ConsManagement support, no room for advancement, poor benefits, no base salary

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to more salespeople to get a better understanding of issues, better benefits, base pay

Do Not Work Here

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    Fort Myers, FL

ProsI like many of my co-workers...we're all just trying to survive.

ConsNo structure, little to no manager involvement, free for all on the sales floor, revolving door and now I know why. They don't offer benefits until 6 months, because they know most won't last past 3. They have to pay minimum wage for hours worked, so if you don't hit your numbers, that's pretty much what you'll make. If you actually like furniture sales, go somewhere else. This place will frustrate you and kill your spirit.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet involved. Act like you care, even if you don't...pretend you do.

Kane's turned me away from furniture sales forever.

Furniture Sales (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsPeers, we were all helping each other find other jobs.

ConsPay, example, if a customer buys a dining room set and one chair is out of stock (?), the sales person does on get their commission money on the whole order, until, the missing chair is delivered. Thus preventing the salesperson from reaching bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe store gets paid for the items bought before the customer leaves the store, if not that is considered stealing and you would call the police. Pay the sales staff when they do their job, not when you decided you have enough inventory to delivery it all? That is called stealing.

How the CEO and VP treats employees

General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsNice stores with great selections

Consalways negative news from management

Advice to Senior ManagementBe available and be a partner to improve conditions within the stores

Ok

Sales (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsSelection, style, attractive showroom, very good training, scheduling flexibility, family type atmosphere. A fairly decent money making opportunity, if you are aggressive and can build rapport with customers. Stays effective and relevant by limiting growth.

ConsNo benefits for 6 months, poor quality furniture, abusive management, internal politics, insecure backstabbing veteran salespeople. Quirky and ineffective management on the store level.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some quality furniture. Hire or develop some true sales trainers. Change the backstabbing culture with regards to floor rules, its costing you sales and good employees. Favoritism.

Worked for Kane's Furniture? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kane's Furniture reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kane's Furniture CEO Irwin Novack . All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Kane's Furniture employees.