Kansas City Star

Be The First To
Add Photos

Arthur Brisbane

Not a bad gig.

ProsStrong products and consistently looking to improve. The people are great to work with. Easy to come into the office each morning. You are given room to grow and express your opinion. All in all the KC Star is a good place to learn and grow your skills. They are building their brand as being a media company rather than just a newspaper.

ConsThe best people usually leave because they have to find better wages and benefits elsewhere. Favoritism runs rapid, however, I'm sure that is the case in most companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe tip top needs to dig deep into each department and really look around to see what is happening behind the scene.

Open door policy

District Manager (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsGood Benefits and employee training programs

ConsDistrict Manager faces working odd hours in the night if carrier calls in.Collecting delinquent accounts from customers.Selling news papers to the new customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper management should hire people to collect the delinquent accounts so that the District managers can devote time in building the route and keep the route book updated on daily basis in case of of any eventuality.eventuality. ie carrier calllingl in in the mid night.

Warm weather is ok.. winter not so much.

Carrier (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsNo office.. just the view out my windshield. 6 hours or less per day and then whatever I wanted to do. Personally I enjoyed all the night life, seeing sights and experiences that otherwise would remain undiscovered.

ConsNo. Days. Off. No benefits. It seemed that every year they wanted to pay less even though fuel and maintenance went up. Stuck in the snow? Car wreck or broke down? They don't care, just finish the job.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Advertising Sales

Major Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsGreat group of people to work with when I started and for a large company it did have that family type atmosphere. Cared deeply about the results for their customers.

ConsDue to the economic downturn started laying off/buyout of senior editorial staff which made the product suffer. Did not respond quickly to threats of an evolving industry (online) in a quick and innovative manner.

good place

Carrier (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

Prosthet always pay on time

Consmust put up with delieveries in all kinds of weather

Stuck in the past

Advertising AE (Current Employee)

ProsNo accountability
    Make ok money with little effort
    Failrly easy to sell
    Nice people

ConsDeath spiral
    Leadership clueless
    Publisher never seen
    Losing environment
    Cultural fatique

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something different for a change
    Quit following the insanity circle
    Cut some dead weight at the top

The Kansas City Star is know around Kansas City as the "Falling Star"

Editor (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsThere is none. KC Star is a disorganized, dis-functional place to work. Management is a JOKE!

ConsLack of leadership and vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. Treat employees and customers as they should be treated ...as the most valuable asset.

Major Account Executive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Company with strong products and services in both print and online. A leader in the Kansas City marketplace. A look toward the future for product development. Online solutions were growing and becomming much more effective.

ConsThe corporate environment and top down management/expectations were unrealistic. With cutbacks and downsizing happening frequently job stability was uncertain. A loss of very talented people was the result of the change in times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employees informed of changes that are coming to keep morale up. With uncertainty comes lack of commitment and engagement.

Worked for Kansas City Star? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kansas City Star reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kansas City Star CEO Arthur Brisbane. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Kansas City Star employees.