Kantar Media North America

Kantar Media North America Reviews

Updated October 31, 2014
Updated October 31, 2014

Terry Kent

very good place to work.

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Kantar Media North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are smart and not ego-driven. you'll learn a lot of things about different technologies.
    This company takes work-life balance seriously.
    vacation/PTOs are generous.

Cons

people tend to stay here for a long time, hence career growth may not be as fast as you would want to.
    no pension plan.

One of the key factors to Kantar's success is the enormous data being collected everyday.
    A lot more products can spring from those data. why is innovation not being encouraged?
    more product developments means more career growth for everyone.

Low pay is largely made up for with benefits, environment, and flexibility

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Kantar Media North America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work in the Chesapeake KMI office and have to commend management for doing such a great job making our jobs as bearable as possible under the circumstances. The health insurance plan here is very affordable and a great plan. We have a certain amount of profit-sharing (employees are given shares after a certain length of employment). There are financial incentives for coders (though not for higher positions, which sometimes feels like it cancels out the promotion raises). We are encouraged to be healthy with the in-house fun club and health club. The "fun club" also sponsors raffles, the holiday party, and other enjoyable events. Kantar also covers a certain amount of continuing education benefits including tuition reimbursement for a few classes per year (if you pass well) and the Kantar-sponsored Toastmasters Club which is highly useful to be a part of if you do want enough recognition to move up within the company. There are flexible hours and occasionally (though not usually) the ability to work from home, especially great for new moms. I feel like our local management really cares about us and our VP Operations is known to regularly go to bat for us employees to keep our jobs in tight situations. The atmosphere is casual and light which could be a turn-off for some, but for most of us it is nice to be in a more relaxed atmosphere. I feel like (especially since the recent restructuring) there is plenty of room to move up and self-improve within the company.)

Cons

I feel like for many positions, especially those above entry level, the payscale is very low. It's the worst-kept secret that the payscale is low, and the "big raises" are a joke. I also have trouble with how they cut off PTO at the end of the year but you only accumulate a few hours per month, which makes it very awkward during cold and flu season mid-winter when you get sick but you can't take time off because you've had to use your PTO before you actually got sick.

There is occasional micromanagement and bureaucratic nonsense, depending on the manager, which can make the job very stressful. It also can be very boring since it is production and repetitive work, though that is the reason management tries to keep it fun.

Make raises feel like actual raises and not like pay cuts if we were top performers getting incentive regularly and get promoted because of it. After a few years and raises I should be making considerably more than the starting salary, which appears to have risen more quickly than our actual in-house raises for high performance have risen. Better pay (preferably a living wage for this high-cost-of-living area) for higher level jobs would give people more incentive to perform well at the low level jobs and try to move up, and would attract the best talent.

Also try expanding the work-from home policy. If we have to roll over PTO, let us at least work from home during sick season so we don't have to worry about driving in lousy weather to go to work in a building full of coughing hacking people who are only there because they don't have the PTO or sick leave to stay home for a week of bronchitis, and which in turn get us sick and force us into the same situation.

It's a patchy friendly mess

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Kantar Media North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere. Good insurance benefits. Great visibility and recognition from industry associations and anybody working in the Advertising, Research, and Marketing industry. There's always a small budget for training and/or to attend conferences. Some bosses are flexible granting extra days off. Occasional free food due to the abundance of catered meetings.

Cons

Everybody gossips, which presents a lack of professionalism among the work force. If you don't gossip or partake in small talk at some point during the day you are seen as an outcast. There is very little opportunity for growth within departments, raises are non-existent, and bonuses are minimal. There is a lack of middle management, there are many VPs and SVPs who seem to be getting all the perks while the rest of the work force keep running a tight ship, patching more than needed instead of looking for opportunities to innovate. There are a lot of ideas and promises and not enough development or actionable goals.

Kantar Media already has a complex structure with 5-6 business units operating almost as separate companies, and the employees are even more confused than the clients. Reorganize the structure of the company or create a central team that connects all of the business units together. Train all employees and not just managers/VPs on leadership and career development skills. Create measurable goals for employees and/or at least communicate the strategy or plan - many times employees do work because they're been told what to do instead of having context on why they are doing it and what's the purpose it'll serve. Create growth opportunities within the company or sister companies, promote ideas from the younger staff, give appropriate compensation, and encourage participation. There is just enough miscommunication among teams and departments that quite often it snowballs and affects the relationship with clients and prospects. We're all on this patchy mess together.

Entry level company, entry level salary

I worked at Kantar Media North America

Pros

Good industry experience working with anyone and everyone that looks at advertising.

Cons

Revolving door policy. Raises are depressing.

If you don't pay the smart people, they will leave.

Many demands, few opportunities for advancement, but somewhat stable.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in West Chester, PA

I have been working at Kantar Media North America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on which team you're on, you can have a reasonable work schedule (if you work hard while at the office) and decent work/life balance. Pay doesn't seem bad IF you came in with a good starting offer. There are some good learning opportunities and good engineering work to do.

Cons

Whatever the local management does for you, you are a worthless peon to the larger corporate entity. They assume each and every employee is data entry, sales, or agency rep. They have no clue, none whatsoever, that IT and engineering are critical parts of the company. It's almost comical, except it's so frustrating. Don't expect raises or promotions unless your boss can prove you are significantly under market pay. There are no opportunities to grow upward in your career, because there is no growth in the company, and none of the managers EVER leave.

Get a clue that the people who make data systems work are the real ones running the company. Get a clue about priorities. Get a clue that you need vision and youth in product management. Get these clues before your competitors end up with all the good ideas, good products, and good employees. Average salaries and zero growth prospects won't retain top engineering talent.

Disappointing career choice

I worked at Kantar Media North America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great competitive software for agencies and advertisers

Cons

Managers that do not have a clue what it is to be in the trenches and how long the sales process is for this type of software

Hire Managers that understand the sales process and are less concerned with the pipeline!

Not worth it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Kantar Media North America

Pros

Depending on who your supervisor is, it's pretty easy to request time off. However, I've heard otherwise from people who have a different supervisor.

Cons

1. The pay is horrible and everyone working there knows it. If you're an adult, there's no way to live off of that paycheck, even if you are a full time worker. If you're a high schooler, it may be some nice pocket change for you. It's honestly just as bad as getting minimum wage, and you're probably better off as a cashier at a grocery store.

2. If you're looking for a professional office environment, look elsewhere. Since there is "casual" attire permitted, people take that to the extreme, with noisy flip flops, baggy pants, cleavage hanging out, stilletos, and everything else inappropriate you could possibly think of. While on the subject of inappropriate, there will be many times you will be hearing inappropriate speech, from gossip, to cursing, and most frequently, incorrect English. Don't be surprised if you even hear your supervisor or someone in a manager position speaking incorrectly, as well as witnessing a written document with grammatical errors.

3. It will feel like you're in high school all over again, where you will be graded, monitored, and will have to abide by point systems. When you do well, the incentives consist of candy of some sort. They will attempt to make the environment fun by incorporating some sort of team game, dance session, or luncheon. In addition, many of the people who work there are young, so it feels like high school anyway. Did I mention the gossip? There's plenty of that. Everyone smiles and says good morning and good night to each other everyday, but in reality, they all talk about each other behind their backs.

Increase the pay!! Maybe then so, you will attract more intelligent people who can carry themselves professionally. The immature, ghetto environment is inevitable with the pay you offer.

Worst Job Ever

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Kantar Media North America

Pros

Kantar had a good Health Insurance Program. Some Data Entry jobs are those where you do not have to think much to complete them.

Cons

Salary was very low for the job performed, there seemed to be no encouragement at all for any level of employ. Low Organization, talking behind each other's back, looking to demise other's progress.

Offer a more encouraging, positive work environment and allow employees to be part of the solution vs promoting a culture where everyone was trying to find the problems and then exploit those.

Good place to work, but uncertainty over all the acquisitions

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I worked at Kantar Media North America

Pros

This is a good place to work, management is fair and the talent across the organization is very good. TNS has a strong client list and a good reputation.

Cons

After mergers and being acquired by WPP, many are unsure about the company's future. There is overlap with other WPP businesses so people are unsure about what will get cut and/or merged.

Open up and communicate more about your plans for each of the divisions

Tough market, revenues down, costs up, company is in survival mode.

Former Employee - Developer in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Developer in West Chester, PA

I worked at Kantar Media North America

Pros

Good motivated coworkers. Interesting applications.

Cons

Revenues decreasing, costs of data collection increasing due to changes and diversity in advertising media. Company is trying to preserve margins by reducing costs in ways that may be beneficial for the short term but detrimental for the long term.

Phase out costly and unprofitable products and features. Invest in the long term. Or sell this business unit soon because current cost cutting will increase future costs and margins will decline.