KapStone Paper and Packaging

Updated December 22, 2014
3.1

KapStone Paper and Packaging Chairman and CEO Roger W. Stone
Roger W. Stone

good company with growing pains

I worked at KapStone Paper and Packaging

Pros

The company has strong management and treats their employees well. There are opportunities to move within the company if you put in the effort.

Cons

due to various acquisions the company is struggling to combine into one efficient company. A lot of resistance to change from those that were acquired.

Knee jerk leadership

I have been working at KapStone Paper and Packaging

Pros

I like to be challenged, Troubleshoot and be successful. I can see the results of my work daily.

Cons

My body is falling apart and I fear retaliation if I complain. We "look" safe. Don't look under the surface!

Do what you say! Read your own policies and do what you say!

Solid management, and good people to work with.

Former Employee - Machine Operator
    Former Employee - Machine Operator

I worked at KapStone Paper and Packaging full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Real sense of community, good benefits and generous pto.

Cons

long, hard, repetitive work. Could be more structured training.

My Review

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Mesquite, TX
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Mesquite, TX

I worked at KapStone Paper and Packaging full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working here!

Cons

The transition from Progressive to Kapestone had its bumps,but overall it was great.

KapStone middle management is weak and inexperienced; Long term outlook failures; Operating from emergency to emergency.

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

I worked at KapStone Paper and Packaging full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Moderate good pay, profit sharing and benefits. Coworkers have strong orientation to succeed and make company profitable and efficient. Good team work efforts

Cons

Middle management conceals errors and covers up or misrepresents or minimizes problems. Failure to invest in software tools to enhance operations and people skill training to make staff more effective. Penny wise but pound foolish approach to human and systems investments other than on the manufacturing side. Poor pay policies not reflecting efforts or difficulty of a person's job.

Lack of official training programs either internally or externally; Staff highly stressed with overly high expectations and without clear path for upward movement or access to pay enhancements to reflect extra efforts.

Kapstone in Longview, WA - Horrible, unprofessional, rude. Do NOT work here!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, WA

I worked at KapStone Paper and Packaging full-time

Pros

a paycheck. Literally nothing else.

Cons

Management is terrible. No communication. So many of the guys in management are outright RUDE! It is no wonder that people get run off from this mill. Most of the workers dread even going in each day. Moral is low. Standards are low. Treating others with respect is non-existent.

Clean house and start over with real, authentic, professional, competent people!!!

Very good company to work for and great organization to be a part of.

I worked at KapStone Paper and Packaging

Pros

Great benefits, good co-worker relationships (employees are typically there for the long term). Fitness center on-site, great wellness program. Strong professional development emphasis, full tuition reimbursement program.

Cons

Overall management is good, even at Corporate level. But the culture is still in transition after the Longview Fibre takeover last year. Yes, the 'official' version is that Longview was 'purchased' by Kapstone, but the reality does not support that!

Kapstone Atlanta plant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at KapStone Paper and Packaging full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay,small bonus ,some benefits.

Cons

This place is hell on earth,I highly reccomend you don't leave your present job to come here.I've worked here for years and what started as a good job has been in a steady downtrend to were it is turned into a nightmare.If you work here you will go 8 to 12 hours without a break,and no matter how well you perform you will be threatened with termination to be replaced by lower waged employees .We have been the top producing plant for months and you would think we were the worst in the company . Management only knows one style here and that is fear and intimidation.

Where to begin, it ended and that is a good thing.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at KapStone Paper and Packaging full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Kapstone company as a whole has a firm foundation and is well known for being a great company to work for. Kapstone has a history of taking good care of their employees and strives to be environmentally stable in an industry that has a history of not doing so. That is about the extent of the pro's that I have.

Cons

Unfortunately when Kapstone bought the Longview Fibre company on the west coast they acquired the Oakland box plant in the deal. The management at the Kapstone Container Oakland box plant are some of the most unprofessional misfits I have ever had the displeasure to work under. The plant was never a money maker, what box plant is? This particular one has been run into the ground due to a complete lack of management. The Oakland box plant still has a lot of people that enjoy what they do but morale is dropping so fast I don't expect them to stay long.

The equipment is a hodgepodge mess of hacked together junk that was not designed to process anywhere near what they are squeezing through. Because of this they cut corners all over. Housekeeping in a box plant is absolutely mandatory. I can't tell you how many times I heard supervisors tell me to just leave at the end of a run rather then work a little OT to clean up, the next shift will clean up. If you don't stay on top of trim and paper dust fires are going to happen and way to many have. Any time you even think about speaking out you get threatened with or outright fired. The turnover rate for both management and hourly is out of this world bad. I can not believe that Kapstone has not taken notice of this fact as yet.

Quality is dropping fast because of the lack of proper maintenance. The maintenance team is so understaffed I have no idea how the light are still on. Typically there is one mechanic per shift and they run around just trying to keep the place moving. Fixing stuff right is a pipe dream, it is duct tape and bale wire every time. Someone is going to get hurt if things don't change soon.

The Oakland box plant was never known for its safety record. Recent changes to procedures have made a dent in that record. The management at the Oakland box plant use deception and threats to keep the safety record clean. I have been told by more then one supervisors that they were told directly that if they were ever injured and required a clinic visit that they would be fired. I have watched managers threaten employees that were obviously hurting. There is a policy that supervisors accompany their injured employees into the treatment room and consult with the treating doctor on what the hurt employees needs. My boss has no place in my medical treatment! I have heard of this happening more then once. The plant does give out gift cards and treats when there are long periods of no reported injuries. I guess I should have added bribery to the list at the beginning.

Work life balance is a complete joke in this plant. They have cut back on people so much that even during slow sales times you end up working 12 hour shifts. There are so many temp workers on the floor the more experienced people end up working twice as hard just trying to keep things running. The OT is the only thing that makes it bearable. The floor supervisors don't get paid OT. They get a 40 hour check and are expected to work 60-80 hour weeks. They are "free labor" according to the upper management.

Take a good hard look at what is going on in Oakland. Stop by unannounced for a visit and stay for a month or two. They have plenty of office space. They are very good at putting on the dog and pony show but can't keep it up for long.

I really enjoy working here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spanish Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spanish Fork, UT

I have been working at KapStone Paper and Packaging full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoy coming to owrk and the people I get to work with. The culture here is great, and management istrying to make it better every day. Pay and benefits are better than what I've seen in other industries, and safety is their number one priority.

Cons

The transition from Longview to Kapstone has had it's bumps, but overall, I've been impressed by the decisions that have been made, and the effort that has gone into being fair to the employees instead of making decisions becasue they can.

Continue to take care of your people, and allow the local management teams direct their organizations