KapStone Paper and Packaging

Be The First To
Add Photos

KapStone Paper and Packaging Chairman and CEO Roger W. Stone

Roger W. Stone

I really enjoy working here

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Spanish Fork, UT

ProsI really enjoy coming to owrk and the people I get to work with. The culture here is great, and management istrying to make it better every day. Pay and benefits are better than what I've seen in other industries, and safety is their number one priority.

ConsThe transition from Longview to Kapstone has had it's bumps, but overall, I've been impressed by the decisions that have been made, and the effort that has gone into being fair to the employees instead of making decisions becasue they can.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to take care of your people, and allow the local management teams direct their organizations

Where to begin, it ended and that is a good thing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsThe Kapstone company as a whole has a firm foundation and is well known for being a great company to work for. Kapstone has a history of taking good care of their employees and strives to be environmentally stable in an industry that has a history of not doing so. That is about the extent of the pro's that I have.

ConsUnfortunately when Kapstone bought the Longview Fibre company on the west coast they acquired the Oakland box plant in the deal. The management at the Kapstone Container Oakland box plant are some of the most unprofessional misfits I have ever had the displeasure to work under. The plant was never a money maker, what box plant is? This particular one has been run into the ground due to a complete lack of management. The Oakland box plant still has a lot of people that enjoy what they do but morale is dropping so fast I don't expect them to stay long.

The equipment is a hodgepodge mess of hacked together junk that was not designed to process anywhere near what they are squeezing through. Because of this they cut corners all over. Housekeeping in a box plant is absolutely mandatory. I can't tell you how many times I heard supervisors tell me to just leave at the end of a run rather then work a little OT to clean up, the next shift will clean up. If you don't stay on top of trim and paper dust fires are going to happen and way to many have. Any time you even think about speaking out you get threatened with or outright fired. The turnover rate for both management and hourly is out of this world bad. I can not believe that Kapstone has not taken notice of this fact as yet.

Quality is dropping fast because of the lack of proper maintenance. The maintenance team is so understaffed I have no idea how the light are still on. Typically there is one mechanic per shift and they run around just trying to keep the place moving. Fixing stuff right is a pipe dream, it is duct tape and bale wire every time. Someone is going to get hurt if things don't change soon.

The Oakland box plant was never known for its safety record. Recent changes to procedures have made a dent in that record. The management at the Oakland box plant use deception and threats to keep the safety record clean. I have been told by more then one supervisors that they were told directly that if they were ever injured and required a clinic visit that they would be fired. I have watched managers threaten employees that were obviously hurting. There is a policy that supervisors accompany their injured employees into the treatment room and consult with the treating doctor on what the hurt employees needs. My boss has no place in my medical treatment! I have heard of this happening more then once. The plant does give out gift cards and treats when there are long periods of no reported injuries. I guess I should have added bribery to the list at the beginning.

Work life balance is a complete joke in this plant. They have cut back on people so much that even during slow sales times you end up working 12 hour shifts. There are so many temp workers on the floor the more experienced people end up working twice as hard just trying to keep things running. The OT is the only thing that makes it bearable. The floor supervisors don't get paid OT. They get a 40 hour check and are expected to work 60-80 hour weeks. They are "free labor" according to the upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good hard look at what is going on in Oakland. Stop by unannounced for a visit and stay for a month or two. They have plenty of office space. They are very good at putting on the dog and pony show but can't keep it up for long.

Good place for internship

Mechanical Engineering Co-Op (Former Employee) Roanoke Rapids, NC

ProsVariety of items to work on. There was something new to do everyday. Small manufacturing environment

ConsMicromanager. Political feelings would get in the way of trying to do what was right. The plant where I worked at was a little top heavy. Insufficient training.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training. Hire people with better people skills. Make decisions based on what is better for plant rather than self.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent

ProsThe people I work with on a daily basis.

ConsWould like to see them offer part-time job opportunities.

KapStone is so good in Longview

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Longview, WA

ProsManagement, Controllers and union guys are awesome
    Job duties are clear and concise, but be ready to take on more responsibility, the management will push you so prepare
    Peers are knowledgeable and friendly

ConsUneducated people in lower management feel they need to show new university educated individuals what "their place is"
    Longview WA is not that great

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure Managers have the needed support that you rely on for daily emergency work

was able to use my abilities with their procedures and worked well together.

Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) College Park, GA

Prosmet good people worked well together was able to work with an open mind, steady work and benefits.

Consnot organized in some ways not sticking with some programs that were set in place.

Advice to Senior Managementstick with programs, have a schedule for employee's so they can have a schedule, don't approve something without knowing all you can.

I wish I would have had the opportunity to "try it out" for a couple of weeks. I NEVER would have accepted the position!

Customer Service (Current Employee)

ProsGood Benefits, comparable to other large companies, 401K, ESPP, Medical, Dental

ConsUnbelievably unprofessional behavior among office staff - yelling, accusatory, immature interactions. Very little room for advancement. Outdated customer service software and antiquated ways of taking orders, P.O.'s etc. Not open to more efficient solutions, they would prefer to continue "business as usual" Sales is not held accountable for "fire drills" resulting from lack of communication with customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold employees accountable for their reprehensible behavior, be open to more efficient ways of operation - VERY outdated in their way of doing business.

Employee centered company growing within the industry.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Longview, WA

ProsFriendly work atmosphere.
    Progressive and Improving.
    Flexibility.
    Appreciate hard work and results.

ConsIn transition due to recent buyout.
    Currently outdated.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep prioritizing your employees, they appreciate it!

rewarding and satisfiying

Master Carpenter (Former Employee) Summerville, SC

Prosthe can do attitude of the people

Consthe micro managing of the departments

BEST COMPANY EVER!!

ProsI have been with the company full time for over 5 yrs. I have worked hard and have been rewarded with promotions. I enjoy the open door policy and the attention received from senior management when expressing myself. The benefits are excellent. Many coworkers have a lot of service. The knowledge they are willing to share is amazing. I'm extremely proud to have a career with KapStone.

ConsThe company is quickly growing so adapting to change is imperative. While I do not have any issues with change, some employees are more resistant than others which slows down progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Worked for KapStone Paper and Packaging? Contribute to the Community!