KapStone Paper and Packaging

Roger W. Stone

My Review

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Mesquite, TX
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Mesquite, TX

I worked at KapStone Paper and Packaging full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working here!

Cons

The transition from Progressive to Kapestone had its bumps,but overall it was great.

KapStone middle management is weak and inexperienced; Long term outlook failures; Operating from emergency to emergency.

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

I worked at KapStone Paper and Packaging full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Moderate good pay, profit sharing and benefits. Coworkers have strong orientation to succeed and make company profitable and efficient. Good team work efforts

Cons

Middle management conceals errors and covers up or misrepresents or minimizes problems. Failure to invest in software tools to enhance operations and people skill training to make staff more effective. Penny wise but pound foolish approach to human and systems investments other than on the manufacturing side. Poor pay policies not reflecting efforts or difficulty of a person's job.

Lack of official training programs either internally or externally; Staff highly stressed with overly high expectations and without clear path for upward movement or access to pay enhancements to reflect extra efforts.

Kapstone in Longview, WA - Horrible, unprofessional, rude. Do NOT work here!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, WA

I worked at KapStone Paper and Packaging full-time

Pros

a paycheck. Literally nothing else.

Cons

Management is terrible. No communication. So many of the guys in management are outright RUDE! It is no wonder that people get run off from this mill. Most of the workers dread even going in each day. Moral is low. Standards are low. Treating others with respect is non-existent.

Clean house and start over with real, authentic, professional, competent people!!!

Kapstone Atlanta plant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at KapStone Paper and Packaging full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay,small bonus ,some benefits.

Cons

This place is hell on earth,I highly reccomend you don't leave your present job to come here.I've worked here for years and what started as a good job has been in a steady downtrend to were it is turned into a nightmare.If you work here you will go 8 to 12 hours without a break,and no matter how well you perform you will be threatened with termination to be replaced by lower waged employees .We have been the top producing plant for months and you would think we were the worst in the company . Management only knows one style here and that is fear and intimidation.

Where to begin, it ended and that is a good thing.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at KapStone Paper and Packaging full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Kapstone company as a whole has a firm foundation and is well known for being a great company to work for. Kapstone has a history of taking good care of their employees and strives to be environmentally stable in an industry that has a history of not doing so. That is about the extent of the pro's that I have.

Cons

Unfortunately when Kapstone bought the Longview Fibre company on the west coast they acquired the Oakland box plant in the deal. The management at the Kapstone Container Oakland box plant are some of the most unprofessional misfits I have ever had the displeasure to work under. The plant was never a money maker, what box plant is? This particular one has been run into the ground due to a complete lack of management. The Oakland box plant still has a lot of people that enjoy what they do but morale is dropping so fast I don't expect them to stay long.

The equipment is a hodgepodge mess of hacked together junk that was not designed to process anywhere near what they are squeezing through. Because of this they cut corners all over. Housekeeping in a box plant is absolutely mandatory. I can't tell you how many times I heard supervisors tell me to just leave at the end of a run rather then work a little OT to clean up, the next shift will clean up. If you don't stay on top of trim and paper dust fires are going to happen and way to many have. Any time you even think about speaking out you get threatened with or outright fired. The turnover rate for both management and hourly is out of this world bad. I can not believe that Kapstone has not taken notice of this fact as yet.

Quality is dropping fast because of the lack of proper maintenance. The maintenance team is so understaffed I have no idea how the light are still on. Typically there is one mechanic per shift and they run around just trying to keep the place moving. Fixing stuff right is a pipe dream, it is duct tape and bale wire every time. Someone is going to get hurt if things don't change soon.

The Oakland box plant was never known for its safety record. Recent changes to procedures have made a dent in that record. The management at the Oakland box plant use deception and threats to keep the safety record clean. I have been told by more then one supervisors that they were told directly that if they were ever injured and required a clinic visit that they would be fired. I have watched managers threaten employees that were obviously hurting. There is a policy that supervisors accompany their injured employees into the treatment room and consult with the treating doctor on what the hurt employees needs. My boss has no place in my medical treatment! I have heard of this happening more then once. The plant does give out gift cards and treats when there are long periods of no reported injuries. I guess I should have added bribery to the list at the beginning.

Work life balance is a complete joke in this plant. They have cut back on people so much that even during slow sales times you end up working 12 hour shifts. There are so many temp workers on the floor the more experienced people end up working twice as hard just trying to keep things running. The OT is the only thing that makes it bearable. The floor supervisors don't get paid OT. They get a 40 hour check and are expected to work 60-80 hour weeks. They are "free labor" according to the upper management.

Take a good hard look at what is going on in Oakland. Stop by unannounced for a visit and stay for a month or two. They have plenty of office space. They are very good at putting on the dog and pony show but can't keep it up for long.

Good place for internship

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Co-Op in Roanoke Rapids, NC
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Co-Op in Roanoke Rapids, NC

I worked at KapStone Paper and Packaging full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Variety of items to work on. There was something new to do everyday. Small manufacturing environment

Cons

Micromanager. Political feelings would get in the way of trying to do what was right. The plant where I worked at was a little top heavy. Insufficient training.

Better training. Hire people with better people skills. Make decisions based on what is better for plant rather than self.

I really enjoy working here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spanish Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spanish Fork, UT

I have been working at KapStone Paper and Packaging full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoy coming to owrk and the people I get to work with. The culture here is great, and management istrying to make it better every day. Pay and benefits are better than what I've seen in other industries, and safety is their number one priority.

Cons

The transition from Longview to Kapstone has had it's bumps, but overall, I've been impressed by the decisions that have been made, and the effort that has gone into being fair to the employees instead of making decisions becasue they can.

Continue to take care of your people, and allow the local management teams direct their organizations

Excellent

I have been working at KapStone Paper and Packaging full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I work with on a daily basis.

Cons

Would like to see them offer part-time job opportunities.

KapStone is so good in Longview

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Longview, WA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Longview, WA

I worked at KapStone Paper and Packaging full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management, Controllers and union guys are awesome
    Job duties are clear and concise, but be ready to take on more responsibility, the management will push you so prepare
    Peers are knowledgeable and friendly

Cons

Uneducated people in lower management feel they need to show new university educated individuals what "their place is"
    Longview WA is not that great

Make sure Managers have the needed support that you rely on for daily emergency work

was able to use my abilities with their procedures and worked well together.

Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in College Park, GA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in College Park, GA

I worked at KapStone Paper and Packaging full-time (less than an year)

Pros

met good people worked well together was able to work with an open mind, steady work and benefits.

Cons

not organized in some ways not sticking with some programs that were set in place.

stick with programs, have a schedule for employee's so they can have a schedule, don't approve something without knowing all you can.