Kaplan

Kaplan Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Kaplan Chairman and CEO Andrew S. Rosen

Andrew S. Rosen

Pros
  • Lastly, being able to work from home is a big plus(in 9 reviews)

• can do very part time, seasonal classes around graduation times(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Prefers to have many part time employees instead of full time employees(in 10 reviews)

• Long hours with low pay compared with similar jobs in the market(in 8 reviews)

Teacher

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat work environment.
    Excellent materials.
    Outstanding teacher support and resources.
    Use of technology encouraged in the classroom.
    Health insurance for part time and full time employees.
    Paid training, lesson planning, and grading.

ConsPrefers to have many part time employees instead of full time employees.
    Low salary.

I worked for SCORE! Educational Centers which was a subsidiary of Kaplan at the time, then was bought by Kaplan.

Center Director (Former Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsCareer growth opportunity, solid public company, backed by Washington Post.

ConsLong hours with low pay compared with similar jobs in the market. On the sales side, sometimes emphasized numbers without acknowledging the vision and mission of the organization. Priorities were constantly changing by upper management, and as a result many of the employees began to distrust HQ management.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in people, engagement, and community/volunteer issues. Focus on improving employee satisfaction and retention.

Get Part Time Work!!!

SAT Instructor (Current Employee) Garden City, NY

ProsGood money, fun class interactions and a great way to get experience. Anyone who wants to get into teaching should jump on this kind of job. It's about the best experience you can get.

ConsNot necessarily the easiest place to advance internally unless you have a degree. And the amount of hours can fluctuate depending upon the time of the year. If you can get enough hours, though, it's a great part time gig.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of support and consideration for employees

Business Developer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-work from home
    -discounts on products
    -experience

Cons-inconsistency in all things: bonus structure, staffing, training, product, pricing...
    -very, very unwilling to spend on employees

Treat people with respect

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou go to work, do your job and then you go home.

Conslocation in W Village is boring, building is horrible.

Advice to Senior Managementpay attention to satisfaction of your employees

Yikes

Career Services Advisor (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsI worked in the Career Services department for 8 months. My co-workers were great and my boss was good.

ConsPlacing unqualified students into ANY position that will help us fill our quotas. The students are not educated and they accept anyone who can write their name. I was a proctor for potential incoming students and one woman came in and didn't know how to use a computer to do anything. I believe I saw her in the hallways weeks later.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop claiming you're concerned about providing students with a "quality" education and just admit your only concern is the mighty dollar. It does the students and community a huge disservice.

Decent place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEase going environment and flexible working schedules. Big corporate experience. Employee benefits include free Kaplan education.

ConsNot much to share here.

Hit hard by regulatory and industry shake up

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFor some time, Kaplan intentionally maintained an entrepreneurial environment that allowed team members to work cross-functionally with ease.

ConsThese days are over. The current organization operates in very rigid silos with very little cross departmental communication or coordination.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime for a change. Less talk, more action.

Great place to work with great people (La Crosse, WI)

Sales Representative (Former Employee) La Crosse, WI

ProsExcellent benefits, friendly employees, good pay, room for advancement and growth, and a great office in La Crosse.

ConsLarge company where decisions in other offices will have an impact on your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your sales teams.

More concerned with the bottom line than their employees and customers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proscant think of any thing

ConsVery immature, unprofessional managers that have no problem lying to customers and employees to cover their own inadequate performances. As an employee, be prepare to be a scapegoat for anything that could possibly be attributed to you whether it is part of your job or not. The processes and systems (or lack thereof) made it impossible to do ones job effectively.

Worked for Kaplan? Contribute to the Community!