Kaplan Higher Education

Updated June 5, 2014
Updated June 5, 2014

Kaplan Higher Education CEO Andrew Rosen
Andrew Rosen

Pros
  • Small, has a challenging and fast paced work environment (in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits, including free tuition to go back to school (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was aggressive and controlling (in 5 reviews)

• Fast paced, long hours, ever changing (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It was educational, but one thing to alsways remenber . "CYA"- Nice place to work

Former Employee - Financial Aid Administrator II in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Administrator II in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Kaplan Higher Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits day 1, Lower Level people in the industry that makes it fun to go to work,

Cons

Some Mirco Manangemnet involved, grown adults don't need tight supervision

KU - Grand Ideas but Questionable Execution

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Kaplan Higher Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

KU offers a decent work environment, some opportunity for advancement and an exceptional health insurance benefits package to full time employees.

Cons

Often the leadership and senior management make decisions that effect the ability of the front line employees to do their job, yet those decisions are made with virtually no input form those effected employees.

Develop a better communication stream for ideas, policies and SOPs between the front line admissions advisors and the senior executives who make policy.

A company undergoing tremendous change

Current Employee - Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Kaplan Higher Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Easy to coast for a long time
    - Pay is decent
    - Friendly co-workers

Cons

- 'Sacred cows' that contribute nothing to the business still hold management positions
    - Politics determines company strategy. If an outside firm does the strategy, the implementation gets mired in politics and land-grabbing.
    - No reward for talented employees. You can work hard, or coast through the year, and get the same raise.

- Recognize and promote capable employees
    - Make HR a strategic function within the company. Any major change initiative should be structured properly to avoid political tensions.

Overall positive experience...can be better!

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Kaplan Higher Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health insurance since day 1. Some opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Very bureaucratic. Career advancement depends on who you know.

Stick to your words. Too much turnover and instability

Company in dire need of new leadership.

I worked at Kaplan Higher Education

Pros

Convenient location. Many good people work there.

Cons

To much beaurocracy. Leadership is poor and does not accept constructive feedback from employees.

It was a very busy time, but I learned a lot.

I worked at Kaplan Higher Education

Pros

The company is growing very quickly, so there is the ability to take on new responsibilities and roles if you have the interest. You really are helping some students, which is gratifying.

Cons

It can be a very combative atmosphere, and some of the long-time employees are less than professional. You really need a thick skin to operate well within the organization.

Tackle regulatory and employee issues head-on and address concerns that students have. Don't sacrifice having a strong, long term company outlook for short term growth.

Think twice - This is not about education.

Current Employee - Anonymous (Management) in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous (Management) in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Kaplan Higher Education

Pros

Fast-paced environment, some Midwest offices are comfortable, modern, bright
    Some dynamic co-workers in Orlando, Fort Lauderdale
    Advancement potential and opportunity to change offices
    Strong, lucrative parent company (in April 2010)
    Company offers full benefits in compensation package.
    Lots of training - especially for IT people - in some locations like New York City
    Steady paycheck!!

Cons

High turnover throughout company
    Inept top management that sends a mixed message.
    Reactive middle management that communicates poorly with direct reports.
    Company lacks team concept
    40+ hours means 70+ and drained workers.
    Very poor company for anyone in admissions or marketing/advertising/editorial. Admissions people face unrealistic quotes, others cut corners, compromise, are held back by Kaplan name
    Poor company for anyone who takes education seriously.
    Negative atmosphere chips away at self-confidence

Dear Top Management,
    After almost 3 1/2 years, I no longer can fake it. Kaplan is not education! My high school, college and grad helped me learn, grow, and question. Yet I see few Kaplan employees or students learning, growing or even questioning. So what exactly is Kaplan giving or teaching? From my vantage point, nada - a big, fat zero!
    I say, go on hiatus and send employees to college. Enroll them in "traditional schools," with living, breathing professors who demand interaction with living, breathing students. See if this injects some ideas, integrity and sense of purpose in them.
    You go back to school, too. And once the entire Kaplan staff has been educated, then try playing school.
    See, students are paying hard-earned money for Kaplan classes and a Kaplan degree, and both are useless. Students buy meaningless degrees, a fact that eats away at me each day. We're in a recession and you have no ethical problem selling useless merchandise? Unbelievable.
    Online education is a great thing, but only when EDUCATORS administer/run it. So hire some and get out of their way.
    Sincerely,
    KDee

Research this company carefully

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Kaplan Higher Education

Pros

Kaplan looks good on paper. Profit and enrollment numbers are impressive at a time when many companies are closing their doors, In Orlando and Fort Lauderdale, employees receive acceptable
    pay and benefits. The offices are relatively new, and, although they are too crowded and noisy, it's possible to work at home at times.

Cons

The sleaze factor is hard to ignore at KHE. I'm in mid-management and I've come to learn that the Kaplan degree or certificate is meaningless in the "real world." In fact, it is mocked - at the (very high) expense of naive students. I graduated from top schools and this job was my best in-state offer a few years ago. I thought I would learn, advance, and move up and out quickly. It hasn't worked like that at all. My professional rep took a hit with this Kaplan stint. I know this because i've been talking to companies for two years. No recruiter, no other company regards Kaplan seriously.

To work here, you need to not let the many unhappy and just plain odd types get to you. The uncomfortable environment extends to all management levels, and maybe it's due in part to long hours; 55-70 hours a week is the norm where I am. Even with the outsourcing of work to cheap labor countries, people who left weren't replaced, so existing staff absorbed the extra loads.. (This keeps happening across the U.S.) Raises don't happen, and advancement potential has been nil from day one, even in other locations. (only adjunct and admissions jobs are always open; both are high turnover areas.) The rare communication and feedback is by email only and usually pertains to the need to work harder to increase profits. Lastly, if you think you'll find mentors here, you're wrong. KHE is simply an online degree mill.

Rethink the decision to outsource so much work. The U.S economy is suffering and outsourcing to cheap labor countries is downright sleazy and wrong! Hire smarter: look for enthusiastic and positive idea people who graduated from good colleges but believe in online learning. Upgrade!!