Kaplan International Colleges

CEO

Profit-driven

Current Employee - English Instructor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - English Instructor in New York, NY

I have been working at Kaplan International Colleges (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to interact with students from all over the world. Co-workers are often great and dedicated teachers

Cons

In past years the company was much more employee-friendly. Recently they have shed teachers and dropped classes at the first sign of a drop in student numbers. This creates chaos and instability for the teachers.

Advice to Management

Show some more appreciation for the teachers who've helped establish the company as a good place to learn English.

KIC

I worked at Kaplan International Colleges

Pros

Met lots of great people, and did a lot of meaningful work.

Cons

Management kept themselves way too distanced from employees and tended to treat a number of people pretty unfairly.

Advice to Management

Give more recognition for performance and hard work.

Looks good on your resume but prepare to experience lot of stress

Former Employee - Part-Time ESL Teacher in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Part-Time ESL Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kaplan International Colleges part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent collages, helpful staff. Plenty of good resources for teaching. Weekly meetings with opportunity to exchange materials and ideas with fellow teachers, meaningful workshops that help to improve.

Cons

Crowded and small teacher's room. Very little chance to become a full time employee. After our DOS left the new manager started to reorganize things and high turnover followed, the atmosphere became very tense. As a part time teacher (and 95% of the teachers are part-time) you have no access to the majority of the benefits.

Advice to Management

Get more down to earth and care more about your teachers as they make your students satisfied and happy.

5. pays the rent

I worked at Kaplan International Colleges (More than 5 years)

Pros

My hours were somewhat flexible. They offer partial benefits for part-time employees. It's a good place to build experience; was offered increased responsibility.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement were slim to none. They tend to be stingy with salaries and pay increases for non-management positions. Were told when we could take vacation.

Advice to Management

It's a common complaint that management doesn't value employees beyond what they can immediately get from them. A little good-will goes a long way; a modest increase in compensation for employees of proven worth is better than none at all.

Growth is hard

I have been working at Kaplan International Colleges full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company seems to care about leading the industry in product development and employee satisfaction

Cons

Issues with growth opportunities (you're either "in" or you're "out"), has a very top-down, corporate feel.

Advice to Management

Offer more professional development for field employees, worry more about what you should be doing for us than what we should be doing for you.

Teacher

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kaplan International Colleges

Pros

You meet interesting people from around the world; other teachers are usually fun, intelligent people.

Cons

Salary does not match workload; the curriculum you're given is not high quality, so you end up developing much of it yourself. There is a lot of pressure to be "on" all the time in the classroom; If you teach students who are true beginners, you will not have appropriate curriculum to meet their needs. All of the cons that come with privatized education: lack of transparency, too much focus on profit motive, etc...

ESL Instructor

I worked at Kaplan International Colleges full-time

Pros

Met wonderful teachers and students along the way.

Cons

Management knows that teachers won't stay that long. The teacher who was there the longest, longest by far, was at Kaplan International for 4 years. The pay is not at all commensurate with the amount of energy you put into planning and executing your classes, not to mention correcting the essays of international students. Frankly, it's a burn-out job. If you're there for any amount of time, you will see so many eras of teachers. They just come and go. Very very few make a long-term committment because it's such a burn-out job.

9. Student Services Coordinator / DSO

Current Employee - Student Services Coordinator/DSO in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Student Services Coordinator/DSO in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kaplan International Colleges full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great flexibility, unique interaction with students and opportunity to learn a lot about visas and immigration.

Cons

Difficult to interact with students when delivering bad news, difficult to maintain lifestyle in an expensive city with this salary.

Teacher

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in New York, NY
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Kaplan International Colleges part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Freedom! Once you've proved your worth, they let you do pretty much whatever you want with your classes. Very little "checking in" or micromanaging. -This job can be fun, more fun that any other job I've had at least. But you must love teaching to make it worth it. -Spend every day with interesting people from all over the world, such an amazing variety of backgrounds. Add to that, networking with international community. -Working with really nice people. -Good working experience - I got the chance to develop a lot of important skills.

Cons

-Money money money. Gave my all for several years, could barely support myself - can't imagine if I had a family to take care of. Often worked full-time like hours for part-time like pay. To make ends meet I was putting 40 *teaching* hours a week - not to mention prep/commute time. I got consistently great feedback from students and administration, but very little to show for it, compensation-wise. As a result I left, got a Master's degree and pursued another career. -To add to that - benefits were pretty much zero, zilch, nada. NO vacation, ZERO sick days, are you kidding me? In a school, with long days, with sick students and lots of bugs being passed around? When I did call out, got attitude from staff. -Lack of transparency - everyone I saw at my school was working really hard for very little money, but no idea what was going on "upstairs." -Very little interest in actual learning results or education, run more like a business devoted to customer service. -Extremely exhausting, long days (again, for part-time $) -No training.

Advice to Management

Treat the teachers like full-time employees. It will make the difference. Instead of having high turnover and constantly new teachers with little or no background, more experienced teachers (like myself) will stay. The teachers are doing the vast majority of the work - these are the only Kaplan employees the students see day in day out. Yet, what are they given in return?

Exploiting talented and hard-working teachers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kaplan International Colleges

Pros

Incredible team of teachers Mostly diverse student body makes for engaging and fun classes Pretty good curricula and freedom in the classroom (but that's changing...)

Cons

Extremely poor pay and treatment for well-educated and multilingual teachers Reactionary corporate culture that only improves conditions for its teachers when forced to Poor training and communication

Advice to Management

Recognize who keeps the company afloat and the students happy, then defend them instead of punishing them

RSS Feed </> Embed