Kaplan Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
2.9

Kaplan Chairman and CEO Andrew S. Rosen
Andrew S. Rosen

Pros
  • Lastly, being able to work from home is a big plus (in 9 reviews)

• can do very part time, seasonal classes around graduation times (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • This position is only on call, part-time, wish they had more shifts or even a full time position open for role (in 10 reviews)

• full-time salaries are pretty weak (my own and my direct reports) (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Flexibility and Individuality

Former Employee - SAT Instructor in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - SAT Instructor in Miami, FL

I worked at Kaplan part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Can choose own schedule
    - Flexible with hours
    - Little interference from managers
    - Solid pay

Cons

- Very difficult to work more than 20 hours in a week since just about all the classes are scheduled for the same timeframe.
    - Not a lot of opportunities for advancement

Paying SAT/ACT tutors $20/hr when you collect $150/hr from clients is a tough pill to swallow for a lot of the employees.

Flexible

I have been working at Kaplan part-time

Pros

Great flexible schedule, work with a lot of people, everyone wants to help, after a year you can tutor online at home, training makes you feel prepared

Cons

Not a lot of communication with coworkers, changes in amount of work available according to season

mixed

I have been working at Kaplan

Pros

good people, smart, motivated, high performing

Cons

unstable, lots and lots of never-ending layoffs and restructuring

Good experience as a MCAT tutor for the pay/hours at the time, now management has changed.

Current Employee - MCAT Instructor
    Current Employee - MCAT Instructor

I have been working at Kaplan as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation was great for a college student and time spent prepping or diving was compensated for.. the centers were great locations and it was a lot of fun.

Cons

When management changed and the centers closed classes were run out of random hotel conference rooms which varied on supplies and quality a lot. Everything was online for management which was difficult.

Bring back the Kaplan centers and better management in person.

OK place

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Kaplan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well intentioned folks who really care about education, that's true. And it's a place to work on some juicy projects, if you're in the right division, because the company lives up to its ethos of "constant change/improvement."

Cons

Weak at committing to long-term strategies.

Get in the field, talk to your middle managers and line employees -- learn what will really get folks energized.

Full-Time Employees Beware

Current Employee - Full Time Teacher in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Full Time Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kaplan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome people (co-workers), a lot of independence, and you get to use your brain all day

Cons

Fear-based management, constant chaos (layoffs, restructuring, etc), institutional resentment of full-time teachers (be ready to have constant insinuations that you don't work hard enough....all the while dealing with heavy insinuation that if you so much as have an hour of overtime on your timesheet you're going to lose your job). Expect to work 50 hour weeks but not get paid for the last 10. Management once told us that we should be using our vacation days when classes are slower in order to keep our jobs. So don't get too attached to those. I won several awards there and was considered to be one of the best, and I was still in a constant state of fear over my job. Also beware the politics. Stay local, and you're fine. Start moving anywhere near national, and you're going to find yourself in the middle of a political minefield.

Your product is your service (i.e. teachers). If your teachers are unhappy, your product is bad. At my new job, they often jokingly refer to my post-Kaplan PTSD. It was really that bad.

Best job I've ever had......until they closed the Michigan campuses!

Former Employee - Premiere Senior Admissions in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Premiere Senior Admissions in Detroit, MI

I worked at Kaplan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Free Degree program completion. I worked in admissions and made nearly $70,000 a year.

Cons

Closed 13 campuses with no warning. As a single mom of four kids, not good! Offered jobs in other states but no relocation assistance.

The least they could have done was offer relocation assistance. People aren't able to just uproot whole families!

Good experience

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Kaplan as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Learned a lot of new stuff. Working environment was good and all the employees were really nice and helpful.

Cons

It is really not much to mention. I would say people are too nice. Working hours are great as well.

Lacking leadership

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kaplan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent compensation, vacation, and benefits package. Growth potential is OK, however transitioning between Kaplan units is nearly impossible.

Cons

Extremely poor communication. Campus-level departments regularly try to implement new strategies for success, however the Business Solutions and IT departments do not communicate effectively to ensure a smooth transition. This lack of communication has caused delays in business operations and actual failures when submitting information to accrediting agencies.

Also, Kaplan tends to retain poor employees with Director-level supervisors simply making excuses for their lack of performance.

Don't be afraid to cut the dead weight. Also, in seven years of my employment, Kaplan Higher Education Corporation has had 5 CEOs, and basically a revolving door at the Regional, Executive, and Director levels. Settle it down.

Great place to work temporarily

Former Employee - SAT Instructor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - SAT Instructor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kaplan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible, smart people, work-life balance, students

Cons

Highly bureaucratic, not exceedingly high pay.

Increase employee wage. You charge exorbitant tuition fees (private tutoring in particular) but pay your tutors nothing.