Kaplan Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
2.9

Kaplan Chairman and CEO Andrew S. Rosen
Andrew S. Rosen

Pros
  • Lastly, being able to work from home is a big plus (in 9 reviews)

• can do very part time, seasonal classes around graduation times (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Prefers to have many part time employees instead of full time employees (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours with low pay compared with similar jobs in the market (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience as a MCAT tutor for the pay/hours at the time, now management has changed.

Current Employee - MCAT Instructor
    Current Employee - MCAT Instructor

I have been working at Kaplan as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation was great for a college student and time spent prepping or diving was compensated for.. the centers were great locations and it was a lot of fun.

Cons

When management changed and the centers closed classes were run out of random hotel conference rooms which varied on supplies and quality a lot. Everything was online for management which was difficult.

Bring back the Kaplan centers and better management in person.

OK place

Current Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Kaplan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well intentioned folks who really care about education, that's true. And it's a place to work on some juicy projects, if you're in the right division, because the company lives up to its ethos of "constant change/improvement."

Cons

Weak at committing to long-term strategies.

Get in the field, talk to your middle managers and line employees -- learn what will really get folks energized.

Full-Time Employees Beware

Current Employee - Full Time Teacher  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Full Time Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kaplan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Awesome people (co-workers), a lot of independence, and you get to use your brain all day

Cons

Fear-based management, constant chaos (layoffs, restructuring, etc), institutional resentment of full-time teachers (be ready to have constant insinuations that you don't work hard enough....all the while dealing with heavy insinuation that if you so much as have an hour of overtime on your timesheet you're going to lose your job). Expect to work 50 hour weeks but not get paid for the last 10. Management once told us that we should be using our vacation days when classes are slower in order to keep our jobs. So don't get too attached to those. I won several awards there and was considered to be one of the best, and I was still in a constant state of fear over my job. Also beware the politics. Stay local, and you're fine. Start moving anywhere near national, and you're going to find yourself in the middle of a political minefield.

Your product is your service (i.e. teachers). If your teachers are unhappy, your product is bad. At my new job, they often jokingly refer to my post-Kaplan PTSD. It was really that bad.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best job I've ever had......until they closed the Michigan campuses!

Former Employee - Premiere Senior Admissions  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Premiere Senior Admissions in Detroit, MI

I worked at Kaplan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Free Degree program completion. I worked in admissions and made nearly $70,000 a year.

Cons

Closed 13 campuses with no warning. As a single mom of four kids, not good! Offered jobs in other states but no relocation assistance.

The least they could have done was offer relocation assistance. People aren't able to just uproot whole families!

Good experience

Former Employee - Graphic Designer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Kaplan as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Learned a lot of new stuff. Working environment was good and all the employees were really nice and helpful.

Cons

It is really not much to mention. I would say people are too nice. Working hours are great as well.

Lacking leadership

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kaplan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent compensation, vacation, and benefits package. Growth potential is OK, however transitioning between Kaplan units is nearly impossible.

Cons

Extremely poor communication. Campus-level departments regularly try to implement new strategies for success, however the Business Solutions and IT departments do not communicate effectively to ensure a smooth transition. This lack of communication has caused delays in business operations and actual failures when submitting information to accrediting agencies.

Also, Kaplan tends to retain poor employees with Director-level supervisors simply making excuses for their lack of performance.

Don't be afraid to cut the dead weight. Also, in seven years of my employment, Kaplan Higher Education Corporation has had 5 CEOs, and basically a revolving door at the Regional, Executive, and Director levels. Settle it down.

Great place to work temporarily

Former Employee - SAT Instructor  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - SAT Instructor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kaplan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible, smart people, work-life balance, students

Cons

Highly bureaucratic, not exceedingly high pay.

Increase employee wage. You charge exorbitant tuition fees (private tutoring in particular) but pay your tutors nothing.

Processes employees and students.

Former Employee - Financial Aid  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Aid in Orlando, FL

I worked at Kaplan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hmm, let me see. Nope, just a paycheck.

Cons

Where to start? Lay off after layoff, promises after promisses. Disconnected management. Unless you are considered an approved employee you only get to sit and work. No advancement, no opportunities, be careful not to upset the glorified employees and managers as you will be marked and harassed. Look elsewhere.

Experienced managers would be more helpful and stop changing the management structure so often. Cut back on the micro management as all the calls are recorded. And give the financial aid team a little more respect and back them up when advisors harass and bully them into making a student accept Kaplan funding.

Disappointed.

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Kaplan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ability to make a difference in the lives of my students.

Cons

Extremely poor management at our campus. No value for employees.

Not sure they would listen -- maybe it's different at other campuses.

Corporate structure that focuses on profits rather than education and supporting teachers

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Kaplan part-time

Pros

The pay is better than some other language schools, but is still inadequate for the amount of time taken to prepare and education level expected of teachers.

There is a union in New York, which is beneficial for the long term teachers.

The students are great.

Cons

There is no orientation or guidance for new employees. It is sink or swim.

Teachers are expected to have near perfect survey results. This fails to consider some cultural or personal aspects where some people will never give perfect marks. This type of system gives students far too much power. Sometimes the teacher knows better and a student might not like it. Teachers are not supported.

The resource library is extremely sparse, but teachers are expected to create a great deal of original lessons because the course books are not that good. Teachers don't have their own space but share a cramped room. Computers and a copier are often faulty.

No job security. No paid holidays or vacations. No sick leave other than what is now required by the city. No benefits (there is a health care option but it is unaffordable on Kaplan wages).

Compensate teachers better with salaries/guaranteed hours, benefits, and better resources.

Show support to teachers and do not always pander to the whim of complaining students. Some complaints are valid, some are not.

Worked for Kaplan? Contribute to the Community!