Kaplan

Kaplan Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Kaplan Chairman and CEO Andrew S. Rosen

Andrew S. Rosen

Pros
  • Lastly, being able to work from home is a big plus(in 9 reviews)

• can do very part time, seasonal classes around graduation times(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Prefers to have many part time employees instead of full time employees(in 10 reviews)

• Long hours with low pay compared with similar jobs in the market(in 8 reviews)

Good experience

Graphic Designer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLearned a lot of new stuff. Working environment was good and all the employees were really nice and helpful.

ConsIt is really not much to mention. I would say people are too nice. Working hours are great as well.

Best job I've ever had......until they closed the Michigan campuses!

Premiere Senior Admissions (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGreat pay and benefits. Free Degree program completion. I worked in admissions and made nearly $70,000 a year.

ConsClosed 13 campuses with no warning. As a single mom of four kids, not good! Offered jobs in other states but no relocation assistance.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe least they could have done was offer relocation assistance. People aren't able to just uproot whole families!

Lacking leadership

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsExcellent compensation, vacation, and benefits package. Growth potential is OK, however transitioning between Kaplan units is nearly impossible.

ConsExtremely poor communication. Campus-level departments regularly try to implement new strategies for success, however the Business Solutions and IT departments do not communicate effectively to ensure a smooth transition. This lack of communication has caused delays in business operations and actual failures when submitting information to accrediting agencies.

Also, Kaplan tends to retain poor employees with Director-level supervisors simply making excuses for their lack of performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to cut the dead weight. Also, in seven years of my employment, Kaplan Higher Education Corporation has had 5 CEOs, and basically a revolving door at the Regional, Executive, and Director levels. Settle it down.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work temporarily

SAT Instructor (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsFlexible, smart people, work-life balance, students

ConsHighly bureaucratic, not exceedingly high pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease employee wage. You charge exorbitant tuition fees (private tutoring in particular) but pay your tutors nothing.

Corporate structure that focuses on profits rather than education and supporting teachers

Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay is better than some other language schools, but is still inadequate for the amount of time taken to prepare and education level expected of teachers.

There is a union in New York, which is beneficial for the long term teachers.

The students are great.

ConsThere is no orientation or guidance for new employees. It is sink or swim.

Teachers are expected to have near perfect survey results. This fails to consider some cultural or personal aspects where some people will never give perfect marks. This type of system gives students far too much power. Sometimes the teacher knows better and a student might not like it. Teachers are not supported.

The resource library is extremely sparse, but teachers are expected to create a great deal of original lessons because the course books are not that good. Teachers don't have their own space but share a cramped room. Computers and a copier are often faulty.

No job security. No paid holidays or vacations. No sick leave other than what is now required by the city. No benefits (there is a health care option but it is unaffordable on Kaplan wages).

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate teachers better with salaries/guaranteed hours, benefits, and better resources.

Show support to teachers and do not always pander to the whim of complaining students. Some complaints are valid, some are not.

Disappointed.

Instructor (Current Employee)

ProsAbility to make a difference in the lives of my students.

ConsExtremely poor management at our campus. No value for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure they would listen -- maybe it's different at other campuses.

Dissappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRank & file really care about serving the customer.
    Benefits are good.
    Plenty of career opportunities at Corporate locations (New York, Alpharetta, GA, Florida)

ConsToo many re-organizations, too many divisions. What goes on within one division/branch may be greatly inconsistent with the activities and culture of another division/branch. Highest levels of management are either clueless about how business is being run further down the ranks, or they don't care, and they don't appear to be focused on what's best for the customer. Local and/or business line market nuances are ignored in favor of the processes already in place. (Forcing a round peg into a square hole.)

Advice to Senior ManagementHold yourself accountable for employee satisfaction. Most employees really care about serving the customer so listen to what they have to say and you will then serve both the customer and the employee.

Education is the least important part of this college.

Program Director (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsHelping the students who wouldn't have a chance somewhere else succeed in their goals is the only pro in this industry and company.

ConsManagement quick to pass blame and slow to help, corporate spends more time slowing campuses down than helping to push them forward, and general style of management is one of fear or bullying.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to lead, not bully and demand.

Fully telecommuting workforce led to disorganization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsKaplan was alright due to flexible work schedule which offered more independence than most jobs. Other positives included decent pay and some good coworkers.

ConsWith no more offices, the huge organization Is comprised of almost entirely telecommuting employees. This led to a lot of disorganization and a lack of communication between departments and management. Lack of structured training and support is also an issue.

Decent experience

SAT Tutor (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsProfessional, reputable, well-known tutoring center

ConsLow pay relative to other centers

Advice to Senior ManagementThe pay is not on par with other tutoring centers

Worked for Kaplan? Contribute to the Community!