Kaplan

Updated March 5, 2015
3.1

Kaplan Chairman and CEO Andrew S. Rosen
Andrew S. Rosen

Pros
  • Lastly, being able to work from home is a big plus (in 9 reviews)

• can do very part time, seasonal classes around graduation times (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • This position is only on call, part-time, wish they had more shifts or even a full time position open for role (in 10 reviews)

• No work-life balance, very late hours (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I really enjoyed working at Kaplan--lots of variety and a very collegial environment.

Current Employee - Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Kaplan

Pros

Kaplan values innovation, so the culture is very flexible and encourages free thinking. While there are departmental silos, Kaplan also has a lot of shared services--this affords you the ability to work in many different areas of the organization and to get a variety of different projects and experiences.

Cons

Because Kaplan is a culture of innovators, it is also changing. The change can be frenetic and is not always as data driven or well-researched as it may need to be.

Consequently, there are a lot of "tests" at Kaplan--most of which never go in to production (but also never get turned off), so there is a level of disorganization and complexity that makes it difficult to get your job don.

Decent Place to Work

Former Employee - Accountant in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Accountant in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Kaplan

Pros

Workload not that heavy, no overtime or extreme hours

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement

Make sure you know who wants to move up and who doesn't.

It's boring, but you get free stuff

I have been working at Kaplan

Pros

another resume item, free courses

Cons

boring, you just sit there

Questionable value proposition

Former Contractor - Bar Course Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Contractor - Bar Course Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Kaplan as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The best thing I can say is that the quota you have to hit in terms of sales to earn a free bar course is low. 5 sales, assuming you sell normally. But there are often specials going on, and these can earn you extra credits. So if you handle it right, you can earn a free bar course with just a couple of sales.

Also, getting hired on is very easy...it took a grand total of one simple form and completing an hour-long webinar.

Cons

Since course prices vary heavily from state to state, there is an asymmetry in terms of the compensation value they provide. Moreover, they need to commit in writing to the "second free prep course" they dangled in from of some of us who were hitting twice our sales target, but who have since been unable to claim it as promised.

The cash pay-out for credits above the quota should be pro-rata rather than per 10 credits earned.

And they should require more training of reps, since half the other people I saw selling test prep courses has little knowledge of the product, and zero knowledge of how it compared to the competition.

My biggest gripe was their "Star Reps" stunt, where they offered leading producers the chance to interview for a job. After going through two rounds of interviews and waiting to hear back for the third, they told me they had decided to phase out the position. Meanwhile, they had been advertising this interview opportunity for months to help motivate performance. Since Kaplan is a multi-billion dollar company, and one expanding in several areas, it seems hard to believe that they couldn't have redirected candidate to other positions.

A bit more quality control both in terms of training and management would go a long way.

Didn't really get any tutor assignments

Former Employee - Kaplan SAT Tutor in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Kaplan SAT Tutor in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Kaplan

Pros

The pay is pretty good. $20 plus $6 or so for prep time.

Cons

You are supposed to drive to your tutee's location and you don't get compensated for travel time
    The training you have to do is the Kaplan method, but that actually works well

Need more tutoring assignments

Campus Rep

I worked at Kaplan

Pros

It was a pretty easy job. Good side money for a college student. Great people to work with

Cons

Very little hours. Could be more interesting.

no problem with for-profit education, just bad business

I worked at Kaplan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits, good work-life balance, fun atmosphere, great people

Cons

poor pay (but this is pretty usual for education), not many opportunities for promotion, innovation stifled by red tape

focus more on increasing revenue than cutting expenses, this comes from a quality product. In an effort to raise profitability by decreasing expenses you're losing you valuable staff and reducing the usefulness of your product.

Great people who honestly care about their students ; but the business practices don't reflect this.

Campus Rep at a Top Campus, Great experience

Former Employee - Campus Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Campus Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Kaplan part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Got a lot of marketing experience and project management experience, very helpful management

Cons

Not many cons, I worked with Kaplan as a part time job while a student at a University

Keep up the good wor, motivate all employees

Very student-focused, mission-driven organization

I have been working at Kaplan

Pros

Cares about students and their success; very smart and fun colleagues; upward mobility if you want it.

Cons

May have to move for promotions. Compensation competitive but you won't hit the jackpot.

Keep focusing on the right things: good place to work, student success, adaptability to change.

Not Worth It

Current Employee - Admission Advisor in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Admission Advisor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Kaplan

Pros

your colleagues are really sweet and there is good comarderie

Cons

Everything is profit driven, you will be let go if you do not meet your numbers/ quota

care about students and people