Kaplan

Updated December 17, 2014
2.9

Kaplan Chairman and CEO Andrew S. Rosen
Andrew S. Rosen

Pros
  • Lastly, being able to work from home is a big plus (in 9 reviews)

• can do very part time, seasonal classes around graduation times (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • This position is only on call, part-time, wish they had more shifts or even a full time position open for role (in 10 reviews)

• No work-life balance, very late hours (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

They have lost direction on what is important and that is our customers, our students.

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Kaplan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to make a difference in the lives of my students.

Cons

Management that is very disconnected from the campus level reality.

Stop trying to improve the bottom line by eliminating staff -- you are creating a nightmare of overworked, over stressed staff. You don't walk your talk.

Full time for over four years

I worked at Kaplan

Pros

Lots of opportunities for advancement
    a Lot of internal hiring - so there are opprtunities to move among departments
    They are actively trying to improve employee satisfaction

Cons

The future of the company is unsure
    Poor middle management
    Lots of bureaucratic red tape to get anything done

When I started the company was well handled however there 3 changes in leadership

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Kaplan full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People were caring, smart and thoughtful about education.

Cons

Demanding for the amount of pay - benefits were not good.

Sr. Project Manager | PMO

I worked at Kaplan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are really good. Probably one of the last companies that provides a pension after some years of service.

Cons

Test Prep industry is not the best paying field unfortunately. Salaries are reasonable, but nothing to start buying that next home if you live in NYC.

Profit-Driven Company, Contrary to Mission Statement

Former Employee - Academic Manager

I worked at Kaplan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The teachers and staff at every center are incredibly hard-working. They are passionate about their students' success and give tirelessly of themselves. The environment is fun for students and staff alike, and there's a lot of emphasis on the "whole experience" - education, housing, and social life. Some truly amazing educational growth is fostered at Kaplan.

Cons

The company pushes the local centers to achieve almost unattainable goals with regard to profit and efficiency. The teachers are slapped on the wrist if they spend too much time preparing for classes, when the company doesn't provide complete curricula in many cases. The administrative staff are responsible for much more than 40 hours worth of work each week, but any deviation from target goals brings down a hailstorm of corporate anger. For example: if we run a class larger than 15, we get in trouble because that's greater than our class size maximum, but if we divide a class of 16 into 2 classes of 8, we get punished because we're paying too many teachers. The messaging from upper management to center management is that we should execute constant change in order to watch the bottom line, but this proves disruptive and confusing and can result in student dissatisfaction...which we're later punished for.

Please come to the centers and watch what we do - don't make us have meetings with you during our regular (incredibly busy workday), just WATCH us. See how hard we work. See how happy our students are. And then let us hire some support so that we can all go home at a reasonable hour.

good place to start a career, but not to maintain or finish one

Former Employee - Various Positions In Test Prep Unit, Through Mid-management in New York, NY

I worked at Kaplan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- generally great, smart people
    - opportunities (outside of sales and marketing roles) to sink teeth into great projects
    - does a better job than most tutoring companies of treating their instructors with respect
    - overall, does a good job delivering on promised value to customers (in the test prep market, at least)

Cons

- constantly changing, with no demonstrated capability for managing change well
    - tries to employ management and marketing tactics (such as agile PM methods, marketing through social networks) commonly utilized by more successful companies, but never really fully commits resources to these efforts, which contribute to frequent failure
    - middle management (director-level field employees) are gnerally dismissive or unskilled at management, which is in part a function of poor organization, and in part a function of a work culture that values talking about work rather than working
    - continued loss of market share in Kaplan's graduate programs makes many positions related to that market tenuous
    - has a tendency to promote/tolerate self-aggrandizement in employees

Take a far more honest look at your field operation (incredible that after all that money and time spent with consultants you still didn't get it right), stop constantly committing to and then quickly dropping projects, and get rid of some of the dead wood you have hanging around. Too many talkers and "thinkers" and "re-imaginers", but not enough honest workers.

Kaplan treats you very well....until they are done with you

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Kaplan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

a lot of friendly people. People are usually talkative and try to get to know you. They keep you in the know. Always working on something for the community at large.

Cons

too few raises or bonuses. They will have you work two jobs, with no raise or recognition for as long as possible.

treat the people that work behind the scenes like people

Great place to work, but feels stagnant after a while

Current Employee - Campus Manager
    Current Employee - Campus Manager

I have been working at Kaplan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to work from home

Cons

compensation packages are not as good as they can be.

The definition of Corporate. More bad than good.

Former Employee - Academic Manager

I worked at Kaplan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent work experience and location.

Cons

Kaplan mangement really couldn't care less about their staff, teachers AND students

Kaplan makes INCREDIBLE profits compared to what you pay the people who actually do the work. Stop saying you listen to Staff, Teachers and Students and start doing it.

A good job if you can tolerate the constant management turnover and reorganizing.

I have been working at Kaplan

Pros

Great co-workers
    Good products for students
    Extremely flexible in terms of scheduling and amount of work

Cons

Constantly restructuring the administrative side of the company results in a ton of confusion about who to go to for assistance or questions. Revolving door of management due to the constant restructuring. Pay scale is convoluted and confusing.

Stop reorganizing! I have lost track of how many managers I've had but it is in the double digits and that's extreme given that a) most of these people are still with the company, and b) I've averaged more than 1 manager change per year, in this year so far I have had 3 different managers.