Kaplan University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kaplan University CEO Gregory Marino

Gregory Marino

Pros:
  • "Pay is good and usually schedules floating holidays around major holidays to allow employees more time off"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Great training to keep skill set sharp, good benefits and great co-workers"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "This is a high pressure sales job"
    in 5 reviews
  • "They watch your every move and they are a sales job"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Admissions Advisor: Decent pay for the work that is expected.

Admssions Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time

ProsThis is a great job to get a steady paycheck and benefits, don't expect to get rich. Don't be afraid of layoffs, they have previously been very fair with giving notice and compensation.

ConsCareer progression is limited. You can move up, but you can't move down, so if you want to promote, be prepared to perform at a much higher level.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet lead generation (marketing) in sync with admissions advisor expectations. Don't expect them to turn bad leads into gold.

stay away!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Kaplan University full-time

ProsHonestly speaking there is nothing good about this company

ConsThis company is more like a factory
Bad atmosphere
This company hires pretty much anybody with no degree or minimum of education
Everything else pretty much is in this category

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Disappointing Roller Coaster

Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Kaplan University full-time for less than a year

ProsWonderful co-worker's, descent pay at the time, good benefits.

ConsUnstable work environment, rules changed too frequently. You'd be trained over and over again as the policies and job function changed at least every month, sometimes more often. Everything was monitored, measured and evaluated. Big Brother was watching every move. This is a high pressure sales job. Think twice before accepting a position.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome managers really cared , others were all about snagging the sale at any cost, this included compromising integrity and expecting you to do the same.

no job security

Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Kaplan University full-time for more than 3 years

Proseasy, good benefits and PTO

Consboring, leads are not of quality

If you need to get a job quick for a short period of time, this is ok

Orlando, FL

I worked at Kaplan University full-time for less than a year

Pros* Training is useless but it is fun
* There are Some good people there
*nice building with a nice cafeteria

ConsWhere do i start. All the managers, including the trainers tell you about hoe much money can be made in this role. That is all BS, most of them are lacking an impressive paycheck. The trainers will tell you in the first week, that they were making oodles of money but then decide to start training because they just love teaching and don't care about money (yeah right)

The truth is that they hire a new class of admission advisers every two weeks. The class starts with 30 people and after a month you see about 10 of those people or less because the rest didn't make it. Each class they brought it was reported to have a lower and lower base pay (24k, really!??) They hire anyone who can speak decent English and has a degree of some kind. For a while they hired without a degree if you were willing to get a degree through them. (now you will owe them more than you ever make:0)

The pay scale is pathetic because almost no one gets into the 2nd tier, which is where you would need to be just to be earning a normal paycheck. Very few succeed and the ones that are doing well are getting a lot of new leads and inbound calls. In other words, they get leads from people who actually want to go to school. Everyone else gets a couple good leads a week and the rest of the leads are people who have been called and harassed by the company for the last month. You know this because the notes are actually in the computer. You see things like (student said to "go to hell" and hung up the phone) and they you are supposed to call the same person and turn them around. hahahahaha

They will hire you right away, on the spot. If you need a job for a few months while you are interviewing for other jobs, this is a good place. After the first week of training, they you will have at least one weekday off, so you can interview elsewhere.

Advice to Senior Managementhmmmm. none. I feel sorry for all of y ou

Everything changes

Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Kaplan University full-time for more than a year

ProsWork environment is decent. Good co-workers

ConsEvery 3 months everything completely changed from schedule adherence to performance expectations. Then they closed us down.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnline education needs to decide if they want to continue the heavy sales business model towards enrollments

Phoenix admissions is an excellent place to work.

Admissions Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kaplan University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsClear direction from local management, good team atmosphere and realistic individual goals. Local management is very open and honest about both the process and results of the organization.

ConsKaplan is HQ in Florida. The HQ organization is highly fractured, seems to be operating in a panic mode and every policy and every issue seems to require an extended review by the legal department before anything can be done. Senior management is very territorial and risk averse and the net result is that while local management in Phoenix is consistent, open and honest, the level of confusion on virtually everything to do with the state of the business coming from Florida makes it almost impossible to understand where the business is going and what the mode of operations will be at any given time.

Advice to Senior ManagementShoot all the lawyers.

Flatten out the administrative organization in Florida and eliminate useless metrics reporting that serves no one but a bloated administration.

Senior Military Admissions Advisor

Senior Military Advisor (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL

I have been working at Kaplan University full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits package from Washington Post was strong compared to most proprietary schools. Has a true pension plan if you can last more than three years. Health insurance is tiered based on your salary. Work life was descent. Nothing from work to bring home. When you are finished for the day, you are finished for the day.

ConsCall center environment/ Online programs are too easy with questionable educational results. Overall atmosphere was high pressure sales to clients and representatives. You live by the time clock as every possible metric is measured, analyzed and used to "train you" Bathroom breaks are timed by Orion. If you are gone to long you will have a conversation with your DOA or ADOA when you return.

A perfect job for me right now

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Kaplan University part-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompletely online, never have to leave my home to attend meetings or teach house, no need to commute, arrange childcare, etc. Most of the students are wonderful and very diligent.

ConsThe pay for large classes is the same as for much smaller classes. Same pay for 9 students as 30. Some of the students are not prepared.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the salary scale to be more fair. Teaching a class with 25+ students is extremely time-consuming and difficult and should be compensated accordingly.

The grass is not always greener.

Training and Development (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Kaplan University full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI was exposed to a lot of experiences in business and was able to stretch and grow over the years.

ConsWhen I was with them we experienced rapid growth and struggled with hitting the right people in Admissions in Chicago.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in hiring the right people from the start.

Worked for Kaplan University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kaplan University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kaplan University CEO Gregory Marino. All 152 reviews posted anonymously by Kaplan University employees.