Kaplan University Online

Reset
CEO

1. admissions advisor

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Kaplan University Online full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, wonderful coworkers who really care about each other and the students. Nice work environment.

Cons

Leads come in too slowly, too much down time which makes the day drag. Hi pressure for sales and employee is made to account for situation over which he no control. One month you can be on top, the next fearful of your job. Your job depends on stacked rankings.

Advice to Management

Get rid of demeaning stacked rankings and find a better way to weed out the losers.

2. Senior Admissions Advisor

Former Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor in Miami, FL

I worked at Kaplan University Online full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good health benefits, and PTO . Ability to make a good salary and increase it in a short amount of time. You meet great people from many different walks of life.

Cons

Salary can change every six months and you can go from making $ 90 K to $ 30K just that fast. There can be favoritism and you can be set up for success or failure. You will have to at least one weekend day and some nights.

Advice to Management

Hire middle managers who will treat people fairly and with respect. Avoid placing unrealistic expectations on employees. Encourage and foster support for all employees.

3. Adjunct Instructor

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Kaplan University Online part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working virtually, the curriculum is given to you as is the shell for the class, very supportive and intelligent department heads, great benefits for part-timers like free classes for you and your immediate family.

Cons

Classes can be huge and the grading demands are rigorous. Not much time is given to grade multiple assignments within one week (5 days). Extensive feedback is expected to be given regardless of class size. Live seminar can never be cancelled and negate some of the value of teaching online as you do have to teach a "class" at a certain time every week

Advice to Management

Provide more time for grading - at least until the end of the current week for the unit. Allow professors to substitute for each other for seminar once a term when there is an emergency. This is certainly allowed in a ground class and should be allowed in this environment as well.

High stress sales position

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Kaplan University Online full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn alot about sales and refine your sales skills. The high pressure environment can actually make you a better sales person.

Cons

Always feel like you're one bad cycle away from losing your job. Job is not like any other sales position where the deal is closed and the prospect pulls out a credit card and its over. You get no credit if the student enrolls but doesnt start. These are things you cannot control. You cannot make someone start if they dont want to. Your job depends on lazy, umemployed, slackers doing their part to better themselves. High buy in required from prospects.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees and dont treat them as disposable objects. Offer them some type of security. Consider that this position depends on things that are out of our control.

6. Student Finance Coordinator

Current Employee - Student Finance Coordinator in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Student Finance Coordinator in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Kaplan University Online full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and location,

Time off 1-5 tears is equivalent to 21 days.

Cons

Mobility and advancement is few and far. The industry has changed since gainful employment updates and there are far less opportunities to advance.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging. Look for more ways to compensate employees.

Rewarding job but it is not for everyone!

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Kaplan University Online full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is good if you are fresh out of college and the teams are really close to each other so it becomes more of a family.

Cons

They spend too much time in meetings. They do provide 1-1 meetings which helps but you are taken out of the phones often which can sometimes get in the way of accomplishing your goals.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees concerns and keep it fair across the board and teams.

8. Education Advisor

I worked at Kaplan University Online

Pros

You work with educated professionals from diverse backgrounds. There are opportunities to build real friendships. Beyond the quality of the people you work with is knowing you have the true potential to have a lasting impact on the quality of life of your students.

Cons

Unfortunately, the bigger the school becomes, the more like a business it is run. Instead of focusing on education, the focus becomes money and numbers. It made coming into work (at times) somewhat disheartening.

Advice to Management

Find a way to allow company goals to reflect the truest goal of education and not just focusing on the almighty dollar. It is when you lose sight of enlightening your students that you fail as an institution of higher education.

9. Admissions Advisor

Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Plantation, FL
    Current Employee - Admissions Advisor in Plantation, FL

I have been working at Kaplan University Online full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been here for a decade and Kaplan has always taken care of me and my family. Kaplan has fair pay, good benefits, a friendly work environment (especially if you are successful), and many of the Directors make an active effort to help you improve. The Gift of Knowledge program is awesome...I earned a Masters degree for the cost of the textbooks.

Cons

I've seen a lot of people come and go through the years, but that's with any challenging job. Its definitely not for everyone. Not every advisor has the skills and ability motivate a student to begin their classes in an expensive program like ours. If you cannot

Advice to Management

Focus a little more on training the empoyees and a little less time in meetings.

10. Kaplan University Online Has No Respect for Part Time Adjuncts

Former Employee - Online Adjunct Instructor
    Former Employee - Online Adjunct Instructor

I worked at Kaplan University Online

Pros

There are no pros, sorry to say.

Cons

Kaplan University has no respect for online part time adjunct instructors. Kaplan never had full time adjuncts, only part time. But they got nervous about adjuncts organizing a union, so many senior part time adjunct faculty members stopped getting classes. First they told us that we are lucky to get one class, yet the full time adjuncts are now getting 5 classes, and the adjuncts that have been online instructors for years are getting no classes. I have been teaching at Kaplan for 7 years, and they just stopped giving me classes, with no reason. The Gen Ed Program treats instructors awful, especially the science department, no seniority, no benefits, no sick days, no insurance, no choice of class time, no raises, no holiday pay, just pay cuts. Oh yeah, you know that $200 pay cut per class that you said was no big deal, well it is a big deal, when we only get $180 a week to teach a class. What a pathetic excuse for a university. They have a meeting and tell us they are going to hire a few full time instructors, and they dangle this out there and tell us to apply. Of course there are only a few openings, and they didn’t hire by using seniority. No one was told who got the jobs. So Kaplan, you hire a few full time adjuncts, give them benefits, and screw the rest of your long term part time adjunct faculty over by stealing our classes. You don’t care that people rely on this income, and you just pull the rug right out from under them. This income pays mortgages, food for families, rent, car payments. Kaplan, you disgust me! I hope Karma gets you all.

Advice to Management

RESPECT for part time adjuncts

11. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor

I have been working at Kaplan University Online

Pros

Flexibility, excellent managers, care about the students, cutting edge

Cons

salary fair, no part time opportunities

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

RSS Feed </> Embed