Kaplan University Reviews

211 reviews filtered by
2.8
Kaplan University CEO Gregory Marino
Gregory Marino

Pros
  • Great training to keep skill set sharp, good benefits and great co-workers (in 13 reviews)

• Pay is good and usually schedules floating holidays around major holidays to allow employees more time off (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Overall atmosphere was high pressure sales to clients and representatives (in 5 reviews)

• For some roles the work/life balance was weighing more on the work and less on the life (in 4 reviews)

1. Admission Specialist

Former Employee - Admissions Specialist in Pompano Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Admissions Specialist in Pompano Beach, FL

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great employee benefits for health insurance, tuition benefits

Cons

When your numbers are down, management makes you feel like a worthless waste of space.

Advice to Management

Look up at leadership's choices, not only what's below in the trenches as the sources of low numbers.

2. Admissions

Current Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor
    Current Employee - Senior Admissions Advisor

I have been working at Kaplan University full-time

Pros

Meeting great people. Helping others succeed. Free education even if you already have degrees from somewhere else.

Cons

The new regime came to town and managed to make it the most toxic environment I've worked in over 25 years. People afraid to take time off in fear of losing their jobs. The more you make in salary the more you pay for benefits to off set for lower earners.

Advice to Management

Get a new regime, get into the game of valuing the loyal employees you have. And stop thinking everyone can work and support a family on 30-40k year. Employees are what makes a company sink like the Titanic or swim to success. The rate at the toxic level will have such major impact in the coming year, you may want to reconsider how the employees feel at the university, not all of the other locations where they've given good reviews. What were your bonuses last year?

3. Great Company to learn about all steps of admissions I worked for about one year as an Admissions Sales Representative.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training is excellent and continuous to success. This is no doubt a team orientated Company. There is some flexibility as long as you keep up with training and work heard. You have to enjoy working with a large company of well over 100 in one area.

Cons

Metrics are sometimes difficult to meet. Often time it can depend on the team you are on and your mentor from the beginning is so important.

Advice to Management

I believe it would be so important to let an individual know how they are doing as one may not succeed.

5. Faculty

I worked at Kaplan University full-time

Pros

Teaching in hybrid program. Personal contact with students in lab.

Online courses allow freedom for students and faculty in regards to participation in discussions and completion of required work.

Cons

Workload is too high and management is not approachable.

There are too many assignments to grade and faculty are required to return all assignments within a 5 to 7 day period of time.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff when they say the workload is too much.

6. Kaplan Experience

Former Intern - Internship in Orlando, FL
    Former Intern - Internship in Orlando, FL

I worked at Kaplan University as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good opportunity as an intern, I felt as part of the family. I learned a lot and would recommend this to anyone.

Cons

No guarantee employment after internship. I applied for the position and was denied because of budget issues.

Advice to Management

hire interns!

7. Great peers...suspect upper management

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Kaplan University

Pros

health benefits are great...enjoy working with the people there and the ADOAs in military is awesome

Cons

Upper management doesnt have a clue as towards showing employee appreciation..always constant change

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees better...they're the frontline and it kind of sucks when they don't know a top performer name....or majority of employees names

8. Former Employee

I worked at Kaplan University full-time

Pros

It was fun working there

Cons

Did not pay market rate

Advice to Management

Change the way you recruit you sale force

9. Started out as a flexible, employee-supportive organization and turned into a corporate shell masquerading as a school

Former Employee - Administrative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable employment (if you hold to their ideas of 'service' to your customers, er, students -- and don't make waves in trying to point out the differences in management of a business versus success of a school).

Cons

Limited (read: almost no) advancement opportunities, no incentive for employees to remain loyal to the company, hypocritical management, being a cog in a giant machine that only functions to take money from its educustomers.

Advice to Management

Sit in an actual administrative office for a week answering and addressing student, faculty, and staff questions and concerns before making executive decisions solely based on finances. Be willing to put money into a company both in technological improvements and rewarding employee loyalty and hard work instead of holding projected budget numbers as sacred and simply trying to increase profit margins and executive year-end bonuses.

10. Great place to work with great benefits

I worked at Kaplan University

Pros

good benefits and stress free environment

Cons

Limited expansion of new campuses

11. Online Part Time Adjunct Instructors Got Screwed

Former Employee - Online Part Time Adjunct Instructor
    Former Employee - Online Part Time Adjunct Instructor

I worked at Kaplan University

Pros

I would enter five words for pros if they existed. HAHA!

Cons

Kaplan University has no respect for online part time adjuncts. Kaplan never had full time adjuncts, only part time. But they got nervous about adjuncts organizing a union, so many senior part time adjunct faculty members stopped getting classes. First they told us that we are lucky to get one class, yet the full time adjuncts are now getting 5 classes, and the adjuncts that have been online instructors for years are getting no classes. I have been teaching at Kaplan for 7 years, and they just stopped giving me classes, with no reason. The Gen Ed Program treats instructors awful, especially the science department, no seniority, no benefits, no sick days, no insurance, no choice of class time, no raises, no holiday pay, just pay cuts. Oh yeah, you know that $200 pay cut per class that you said was no big deal, well it is a big deal, when we only get $180 a week to teach a class. What a pathetic excuse for a university. They have a meeting and tell us they are going to hire a few full time instructors, and they dangle this out there and tell us to apply. Of course there are only a few openings, and they didn’t hire by using seniority. No one was told who got the jobs. So Kaplan, you hire a few full time adjuncts, give them benefits, and screw the rest of your long term part time adjunct faculty over by stealing our classes. You don’t care that people rely on this income, and you just pull the rug right out from under them. This income pays mortgages, food for families, rent, car payments. For lack of better words, Kaplan, you SUCK! I hope Karma gets you all.