Kaplan University Reviews

Reset

Awful... just awful

Former Employee - Education Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Education Advisor in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great co-workers, benefits are ok.

Cons

Leadership is terrible at all levels: no management skills, treat people like commodities; some are uneducated and many promoted past their edge of competence, which they try to cover up by micromanaging. Kaplan's moral compass broke many years ago. Professional development opportunities are slim to none; morale is non-existent. Most people stay because they have become complacent. Employees are expected to be like little worker bees- pound out the phone calls and make sure to hit their daily metrics.

Advice to Management

- Encourage departments to work together. - Take a look at recruiting and admissions practices- most of the students require a robust developmental education program to even begin to start taking basic college level courses. - Work on your reputation... not by fancy advertisements, but by treating your employees well and offering opportunities to grow professionally.

If you are looking for a traditional higher ed career look elswhere. Run like a business, not a college.

Pros

Many, but not all, on site colleagues care about serving at-risk, underserved students and changing lives. Efforts to retain students go beyond many other colleges, even those that claim to care most.

Cons

Being for-profit, for many employees, presents challenges that lead to ethical drift or at least the temptation of ethical drift, and that is an energy drainer, whether one gives in or resists.

Advice to Management

Review the failures of Viet Nam. One key reason we lost was because of grandiose leaders who thought they knew better from 5000 miles away what needed done on the front lines. Flip the org chart upside down. Stop being so isolated and learn from the huge amounts of wisdom that exist outside of the organization - stop being so incestuous.

Education Advisor

Current Employee - Education Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kaplan University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

An opportunity to learn about the online college and ever expanding education industry, has pretty good benefits. The work life balance is good. If you love people it gives you the opportunity to have a positive impact on people, by building relationships and helping them to achieve their career goals through higher education.

Cons

As the economy suffered, like many companies they've learned to run on a leaner staff. The day to day task are extremely out of line and don't commiserate with the salary. They've gotten away from the culture that challenged you, but left you feeling fulfilled. There is a workhorse mentality that doesn't do well to show appreciation in valuable ways that make their employees feel truly appreciated.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basic that made this University Great! Reestablish the culture that make it a great place to work, because the gifts of appreciation were of value and not cheap attempts to appear that you care. Remember happy employees make for happier students.

5. Chaotic at best

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

The on-site cafeteria was the best part

Cons

Constant turnover, lackluster management, no visibility

6. Senior Admissions Advisor specializing in the Military

Pros

I had the opportunity to help our Active Military, Vets and their families to get an Accredited Academic Degree.

Cons

It's a call center environment.

Advice to Management

Can't honestly say what management is like today.

7. Thinking About This Great Business :-)

Pros

They are visionaries, understand how to adapt and take care of their teams :-)

Cons

If anything, I hope they continue to expand internal professional development.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work :-)

8. Working for the Campus is not good; Online is a the Golden Child

I worked at Kaplan University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for Kaplan for 8 years. The first 6 were great. I liked the company but more so the people I worked with. I was able to build my team, train, hit my goals and get rewarded for it. I had great support with my first 3 bosses. But no where for me to go up in the company.

Cons

Poor leadership from the top down. I had 6 bosses in 8 years. The last 3 were the worst, no leadership skills. The last one had didn't know how to lead, work with women nor could make his own decisions. The corporate office functions like a high school - if you are in the right group you are protected. If not, you will not be valued.

Advice to Management

Remeber your purpose the student and educating them. Instead of failing people up, cut the fat and non-performing so that the lower levels can have the resources need to operate. There is nothing wrong about being the best educator in the for-profit sphere. Paying big dollars to top folks who don't make an impact is a shame to the hard working folks helping to make the bottom line.

Can't find a job making more $ for what we do...

Current Employee - Admissions Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Admissions Specialist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Kaplan University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High salaries for those who've been in the business/company for 5+ yrs (not so much for new employees). Great benefits package compared to the competition.

Cons

Easily replaceable by others who will work for far less $ and that point is driven home daily. KU used to be a great place to work. Now, only the salary and benefits package are keeping me here. It went from a university to a sweatshop. Our goals are constantly increasing, but our salaries are stagnant. Favoritism and unequal opportunities abound, but everyone on a team has the same goal. So it doesn't matter if one advisor gets 20 good leads and another gets 2, you both have to have 20 enrollments to keep your job. We're not allowed to drum up our own business so you better hope you can take enough to get by (from those who are fed and aren't able to follow up like they should). There is enough business at the table for everyone to eat, but some are given steak while others get beans. Why can't we all have hamburgers?

Advice to Management

Use conversation rates to judge employee performance, not shear number of enrollments when the opportunities aren't dispersed equally. Let your advisor's records speak for themselves. Just because someone is in a bit of a slump doesn't mean they aren't valuable employees. If an advisor has had a solid performance for 5+ years, you shouldn't fire them for a few recently missed goals. There is no job security, even for the top-producers. We ALL wonder when we're going to get the tap on the shoulder to be walked out of here.

10. Best entry level position as a starting career path a few years ago

Pros

Great team and co-workers, supportive of new ideas

Cons

Management structure and procedures were constantly changing

11. Salary

Current Employee - Education Advisor in Chicago, IL

Pros

Business Casual dress code. Office accessible by train.

Cons

Too many rapid changes to processes.

RSS Feed </> Embed