Kaplan University

Updated September 5, 2014
2.9

Kaplan University CEO Gregory Marino
Gregory Marino

Pros
  • Pay is good and usually schedules floating holidays around major holidays to allow employees more time off (in 7 reviews)

• Great training to keep skill set sharp, good benefits and great co-workers (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • This is a high pressure sales job (in 5 reviews)

• They watch your every move and they are a sales job (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible culture.

Former Employee - Director  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Kaplan University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Having worked at Kaplan makes me appreciate how much better other companies are to work for. The experience made my skin so thick, I can take anything.

Cons

Overall, most of the employees are negative, miserable, unpleasant, and unapproachable. The handful of employees who don't fit into this category only stay there because they feel trapped, since management continually reminds people that they should "be grateful that they have a job". The overall culture is one where everyone is out for themselves and it's a big CYA environment. It is common practice to be in a meeting where people are openly criticized in front of everyone.

There are a core group of employees who have been with Kaplan for many years and have formed their own group that has the same feel as a high school clique. They treat everyone else like an outsider, they only support the agenda of those inside of their clique, and the company forgives them for their lack of maturity and professionalism because of their institutional knowledge.

There are huge gaps between the intent of the company that is articulated by the CEO and what actually happens in the day-to-day operations. High performers who are unethical are continually rewarded by upper management who turns a blind eye to their practices.

The executive leadership believes that being an employee-focused employer means to deploy programs such as allowing employees to wear jeans everyday, when they miss the mark on truly appreciating the contributions of each individual.

It is a common practice to promise a promotion to someone, only to continually pile on more and more work to be used as a carrot to get the promotion. And even when the employee meets the performance criteria set forth, the carrot is continually moved and excuses are given as to why the promotion doesn't occur.

The HR department is not an employee advocate and will retaliate against employees who speak up about their leaders using fear and intimidation practices. Workplace bullies are rampant and protected.

It's probably time to clean house and remove the leaders who have created such a poor culture. Unfortunately, it starts from the very top, so I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. My advice to employees: leave. There are so many better places to work.

A stressful temporary work situation

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor  in  Plantation, FL
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Plantation, FL

I worked at Kaplan University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun working with peers at times
    Very fulfilling working with students because you're making a difference
    Good job to have if transitioning jobs

Cons

High rate of turnover (about every 6 months there is a mass firing)
    Stressful to meet quotas
    Department and individual goals constantly changing which sometimes puts you in the less favorable position
    Job is never secure
    Care about profits over employes
    Management deceives employees that it will be a new prosperous career but its a people mill

Be honest about the rate of turnover so people can have more stability and security in home life.

Decent job experience.

Former Employee - Admissions Advisor  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Admissions Advisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Kaplan University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay and tuition is covered %100.

Cons

Working every Saturday and having a tough quota to meet.

Don't make it such a numbers game.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working with knowledgeable professionals

Former Employee - Tech Support  in  Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Davenport, IA

I worked at Kaplan University as an intern for more than a year

Pros

The professionals at Kaplan University Davenport, IA. Bring their real-world experience to the class room as well as provide leadership to those employed with the organization.

Cons

The down side (if any) is the limited time for those employed through the student work study program which limits hours to 1000. There is always more to learn by being allowed to stay on under the tutelage of professional and there for would be to the advantage of students to be there longer.

I think that students who show dedication to duty and attention to detail should be offered an opportunity for full time employment!

Great learning experience...not the best management

I worked at Kaplan University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learned Alot, Nice People, Working Hours

Cons

Targets, Goals Unclear, Management too high level

Get down to the trenches more often and really understand the flaws of the operation

Current Professor: Sad and Pessimistic

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor  in  Town Line, NY
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Town Line, NY

I have been working at Kaplan University part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

On-line learning tools are powerful and it's possible to develop real relationships with students. Some of the faculty are excellent and care about everything they do.

Cons

There is no opportunity for growth or advancement. The school's business model is based on not paying faculty a fair rate. I am working more hours today than I was three years ago for about 40% less pay. Although I enjoy much of what I do for Kaplan University I feel as if I am being cruelly taken advantage of.

Encourage faculty to JOIN A UNION. Management should spend a couple of years working part-time for no benefits and for about 20% of what they are making now.

My experience has been positive

I have been working at Kaplan University

Pros

Cons

Late work hours, not family friendly and no room for growth

Think outside the box, groom your employees to be the best that they can be. Transparency is key.

Awful management and zero appreciation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kaplan University as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Easy work, ability to work remotely

Cons

Poor communication, mishandled leadership, unqualified supervisors, no accountability, unrealistic expectations

Solicit advice from people who actually know what they're talking about - don't stick managers in supervisory roles for positions they don't understand.

Great people, but long way to go

I have been working at Kaplan University

Pros

Great people, fun work environment

Cons

Multiple layoffs, lacks vision and employee communication

Listen to your employees - Especially the Admissions Advisors

Greed is good

Former Employee - Manager  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Kaplan University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance if in right department

Cons

They like to sell to anyone who will listen that they are in it for the students. Complete lie. The senior execs, from Andy Rosen to Greg Marino (who got to his position because he is related to the former president of Kaplan Jonathan Grayer, not because he is qualified per rumors) are in it for the money and could care less about the students imho.

bad bad bad

Worked for Kaplan University? Contribute to the Community!