Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices

Updated December 10, 2014
3.7

Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices Founder & CEO Dan Rodrigues
Dan Rodrigues

Pros
  • There are great people in all departments, more than I've seen at previous employers (in 8 reviews)

• Kareo is constantly trying new ways to keep their employees happy and providing a great work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is ok, but sometimes can be challenging with our fast paced growth (in 8 reviews)

• Kareo promotes "work life balance" but there is none, especially in engineering (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic Experience

I have been working at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vary talented executive management team
    Consistent and clear messaging from the CEO to all levels of the organization
    Fun atmosphere
    Great product
    Strong positioning for the future
    CEO has always been very approachable
    Advancement - I have been promoted 3 times in 4 years.

Cons

As with any high growth company, Kareo constantly tweaks processes, workflows, org structure, and requirements. Only a con if you don't like that type of environment.

Continue to do what you are doing - keep adding to the product, perfecting the services/support, communicate to entire organization on a regular basis, and asking for input from the customer facing employees.

An energizing and purposeful place to work!

Current Employee - Marketing in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Kareo is a fast-growing, venture capital backed software company on a mission to help small practice physicians leverage technology for the betterment of their practice and the patients they serve. It has the fun culture of a young company and the processes and talented management team of a more mature one. Kareo has a rock star support team, super smart engineers and a product roadmap that is destined to support doctors and their staff succeed. The company has multiple locations in the U.S. and is now serving over 25,000 medical providers across every state. The founder/CEO is a successful lifelong entrepreneur who is dedicated to deliver the team and culture needed to pursue the mission and succeed as a company long term. The company has a fun culture that celebrates success and allows for fun employee events. There's also all the mini-benefits you'd expect including free sodas, free smoothies on Thursdays, Yoga classes and Crossfit during the week. Oh, and the larger offices in Irvine and Las Vegas are fun, collaborative and beautifully furnished spaces.

Cons

The Irvine office is beautiful but it's a bit of a walk to the parking garage, there are opportunities to improve on the 401k plan value, would like to see a few healthier daily options for drinks (vs. just sodas).

Stay focused on the mission to serve small practice doctors, hire people who are empathetic and supportive of that mission, continue supporting and reinvigorating the culture that made Kareo such a great place to work and continue looking to fill roles, as possible, with internal talent.

Always an exciting day at Kareo!

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a marketing intern I am faced with all sorts of exciting/new projects that are exposing me to not only marketing experience but also to the business side of medical software that caters to small practices. Everyone is super knowledgable about the company and their department goals. Everyone has a "get it done" mentality that is very inspiring.

Cons

Lots of new faces at first but now after a few months at Kareo I have been able to meet almost everyone.

Keep up the good work!

Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices Response

Dec 8, 2014CEO

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your experience at Kareo. As a fast growing company, there are many opportunities to learn and grow here – great to have you!

Poised for Great Things!

Current Employee - Marketing in Irvine, CA

Pros

Kareo is a high-growth, fast paced company focused on improving the success of its customers - small medical practices. This mission is very motivational, although the demands created by the company's aspirations aren't for everyone. The company has made some big strategic bets over the last few years, and I'm enjoying being part of a team working on big goals that will really make a difference. The overall team is young, friendly, dynamic, and team oriented. There are great people in all departments, more than I've seen at previous employers. Pay is competitive.

Cons

By design, this isn't a place that's stable. The company has big aspirations which causes a very dynamic and fast changing environment. This can be hard for team members not used to this pace and ongoing change. As the company grows and evolves, things will change. Many will be good changes, some won't. Again, people who embrace fast paced environments get this and embrace it. But not all do and this is hard (since some won't transition well).

Don't get so focused on the end game, you miss what's happening now! We have a great culture and team and this will be a part of our success. Let's double down on it and grow into a company that is great for employees, great for customs, and makes our investors happy as well.

Interview Process was Great!

Pros

The company works to make sure the employees work in a positive atmosphere. During the interview process, the requirements and job description was made very clear. A double interview process helped to ensure that I was a fit for the company as well as making sure I wanted to work for them.

Cons

There is minimal flexibility for shifts offered.

Offer more hands on training during the training process. While watching a power point is good, actually working on an account that is able to do everything displayed is better.

One of the best places to work as a software developer

Current Employee - Software Developer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Irvine, CA

Pros

- a product team with a very focused view on what feature is valuable
    - a ux team that will make everything you create pleasant to look to use
    - a development team that will surround you with peers that will teach you more in a year than anything thing else

Cons

- there is legacy code that still needs to be transitioned out

- when there are 20 great things to do that are "necessary", but there is only time for 10, focus on 5

Best company I have worked for. Ever.

Current Employee - Customer Success in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success in Irvine, CA

Pros

Regardless of the other negative reviews on this site, this company does care about the people here. There are events funded by the company, incentives everywhere you look, and I get to work with excellent people. I would recommend this company for anyone who is qualified to take a position here.

Cons

Nothing is perfect, neither is Kareo. There are areas where communication could be better between management as well as interdepartmental personnel.

The culture rolls from the top down. Keep up the positive culture you have managed to cultivate! Great work!

Kareo really makes you feel like part of a team!

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It's a great group of people that love what they do and know how to enjoy it. The culture in the office is like no other-- you want mixers with corn hole and ice-cream sandwiches? They have it. In office yoga and meditation? No problem! Everyone is hardworking, passionate, and ultimately inspirational. Although I was only an intern, they treated me like I had been there for years as an employee. I felt welcomed.

Cons

I think the only challenge I had working at Kareo was always staying later than I should. I would get caught up in the event s going on at the end of the day or would just keep working and not realize what time it was. It's hard to get out of the office.

Keep doing what you're doing. I couldn't imagine a better company to work for!

Summer Marketing Internship

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Irvine, CA

Pros

Everyone here is very kind and welcoming. The environment at Kareo is very unique in that it is very fun and everyone seems to genuinely enjoy working here! They have lots of fun activities like yoga, boot camp, and mixers where all the employees can get to know each other- so although it was intimidating to come into such a large office- it was easy to get to know everyone. The entire marketing team is extremely friendly and approachable and very easy to work with. I never felt out of place! In the 3 months that I had this internship, I was able to be involved in the management of their social media, involve myself in the pre-production for their future trade shows, and work with outside vendors. I definitely gained a lot of social skills and tactics that I will take with me into my professional life. I always had something that I could be working on and it wasn't just work that didn't matter- I truly felt like a component of the company and that my work mattered. It was nice to be trusted and given the opportunity to help with some of the big marketing campaigns, including the Friends of Kareo program, and also #KareoChat on twitter. I was also given the chance to sit in on marketing team meetings and to shadow people. This was just a summer internship, but I truly hope to one day work for a company that is as vibrant and unique as Kareo!

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of... maybe just that their workplace laptops were a bit outdated.

Bring your "A" game

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Irvine, CA

Pros

Engineering doesn't settle for second best. Standards are high, work hard and play even harder. This is a tight knit group. Be prepared to stand up for what you believe in, and relax off hours with "great" friends. This is what Kareo is about. Be part of a team and part of a family. Do you want to be part of something this special?

Better benefits and compensation than most companies. Monthly mixers, lunches paid for, and an engineering leadership team that is working to make sure they take care of their talent.

A SaaS company in Orange County that is freeing our Doctors to focus on patient care? Using technology to build amazing products? Be part of something greater than yourself?

The technical teams (software and network operations) are getting it done and have an amazing pool of talent, and they deliver "results".

Gauntlet thrown to other companies in Orange County...BRING IT!!!!

Oh and our CEO knows his stuff!!!

Cons

Listen, nothing is perfect and you have to put up with some nonsense with people that started their careers here. There's a bit of drama from the corporate IT side that seems like a complete waste of time...yawn...drama...distraction....and no one taking appropriate action to remedy this.

There are politics at play it seems instead of just cutting people lose and getting others that can contribute to the culture. Some have gotten a bit tired of dealing with this, best to make a clean sweep and set us up for success.

"A" players. That's what we want. Don't let anyone settle for less or force us put up with nonsense. We say get on board or move out of the way. We have people here that care and won't settle for second best. Turn us loose and watch what happens.

Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices Photos