Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices Reviews

88 reviews filtered by
3.8
Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices Founder & CEO Dan Rodrigues
Dan Rodrigues

Pros
  • There are great people in all departments, more than I've seen at previous employers (in 8 reviews)

• Kareo is constantly trying new ways to keep their employees happy and providing a great work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is ok, but sometimes can be challenging with our fast paced growth (in 8 reviews)

• Kareo promotes "work life balance" but there is none, especially in engineering (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

An energizing and purposeful place to work!

Current Employee - Marketing in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Kareo is a fast-growing, venture capital backed software company on a mission to help small practice physicians leverage technology for the betterment of their practice and the patients they serve. It has the fun culture of a young company and the processes and talented management team of a more mature one. Kareo has a rock star support team, super smart engineers and a product roadmap that is destined to support doctors and their staff succeed. The company has multiple locations in the U.S. and is now serving over 25,000 medical providers across every state. The founder/CEO is a successful lifelong entrepreneur who is dedicated to deliver the team and culture needed to pursue the mission and succeed as a company long term. The company has a fun culture that celebrates success and allows for fun employee events. There's also all the mini-benefits you'd expect including free sodas, free smoothies on Thursdays, Yoga classes and Crossfit during the week. Oh, and the larger offices in Irvine and Las Vegas are fun, collaborative and beautifully furnished spaces.

Cons

The Irvine office is beautiful but it's a bit of a walk to the parking garage, there are opportunities to improve on the 401k plan value, would like to see a few healthier daily options for drinks (vs. just sodas).

Stay focused on the mission to serve small practice doctors, hire people who are empathetic and supportive of that mission, continue supporting and reinvigorating the culture that made Kareo such a great place to work and continue looking to fill roles, as possible, with internal talent.

This is the one you should read

Former Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Zero unless you like working and average of 10-12 hour days for a kuerig machine and a bunch of teeth rotting soda

Cons

Select * from Kareo
    Just working here is a con. No work life balance. Don't let their materialistic mindset cloud your judgement. The engineering side of the house is a joke along with management. Network operations has zero leadership, DevOps management can't figure out what's going on with their employees and churn is extreme at the company. They like to burn through engineers like you wouldn't believe, literally people leaving every two weeks.

None, they didn't listen to my input then why would they now.

Time to move on

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Irvine, CA

Pros

Nice furniture, new computers, cool building and okay benefits.

Cons

The culture has changed. Everything started to go downhill after a great supervisor in support left. Marilyn cared and talked to everyone. She has been the only lead that would take time and try to talk to everyone in the department to acknowledge how we felt. She always had activities that would make us compete with eachother. Although they were cheesy, we all appreciated it as it took our eye off of our day to day activities. Now, it's nothing but meeting numbers. Current supervisors are a joke. They act like they are working but are on social media, reading health blogs, looking at videos most of the day or in "meetings". Many great people have left this company and everyone that I talk to is not happy.

Save your time it's not as great as it appears on social media.

take a look at your current management

Dec 8, 2014CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on Kareo. While it is inevitable that “things will change” and that those things may include the transition of people and the adjustment of culture ... More

False promises and not what they make you believe.

Former Employee - Support in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Support in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people. The people at Kareo are the only reason I stayed for as long as I did. I have made friends for life.

Cons

If you aren't in Product Dev or Engineering than you're a nobody. Others have said the same in their reviews and it's the truth. There is a huge divide between the Support/RCM/OnBoarding teams versus those that "matter." Last year the ProductDev and Engineering people were given nice Bose headphones for Christmas...no one else was given anything. People in those departments are given raises and promotions but they are still unhappy and overworked. That doesn't happen elsewhere (the raises and promotions). The rest of the staff in the support roles aren't recognized or valued, just replaced by a subpar employee in Costa Rica since the company now only tries* outsourcing its staffing. Don't believe me about the favoritism, read the response back from the CEO on the June 6th GlassDoor review. If it wasn't true then why would he defend it when he hasn't defended any of the other negative reviews? He wouldn't want anyone to actually think he or any other executive favors certain employees over others, right?! Truth be told, I don't really think those that he "favors" really even favor him. Same goes for the vast majority of the executives with the exception of two: the VP of RCM and VP of Sales. They are the only two who are consistently nice, will smile at you, and try to interact with you. Otherwise, prepare to be ignored and not spoken too. Oh, and if you're caught behind "the doctor" or the CEO, they will not hold the door for you. They will literally let it slam in your face, regardless if you're male or female. Simple common courtesy, no?

Costa Rica...where to start with that? Well, they have poured lots of time and money into moving Support and Enrollments off shore to save money (money that would never been considered to be given back to Kareo's tenured employees who have NEVER been given raises!). The employees there all quit and they can't even keep them employed longer than a few months before they find better things than Kareo. They are only now after almost a year and half of not hiring here, hiring again because everyone is jumping ship to other departments or leaving all together. It speaks volumes when so many people leave all at once!

Anyone interested in a management role will certainly be hired from the outside because no one internally is groomed to move up. They almost exclusively hire from the outside. Many people in various roles have come from another company called Hire Right. If you have worked there you will for sure be hired! If you haven't, say you did and I'm sure they will still hire you! No need on thanking me for the tip, you're welcome! But seriously, they really only hire management from the outside and usually these people have absolutely no healthcare experience. They don't know the industry or the way things work but are left to manage a group of people and make decisions based off things they do not know. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

Those in management roles, in large part, shouldn't be. They aren't experienced enough or educated with the industry to properly do their job and support their teams. Some haven't got a clue how the system operates but manage to get promoted to manage Support when all they really contribute is loud laughing and complaints about the product they support. Some leads really enjoy making their own coffee all day and walking around looking important and busy. That's easy to do when you delegate all your work and escalations to various reps to do it for you. There are RCM and Training (the team that just continues to "eliminate" positions) managers who openly speak poorly about their employees in the kitchen about their employees (can you say lawsuit?) and a person in charge who doesn't even know that certain team members don't know how to take calls (Costa Rica for the win, again!). I won't even start with the individual who hardly shows up because they are probably too hungover and forwards weeks old emails to other departments from the comfort of their home.

Kareo promises transparency. They are anything but. The only thing they value is the image they personify and ensuring they can beat out their competitors. They aren't open, they really don't care about their employees, and good luck ever advancing your career. They don't have any career growth opportunities and they don't invest in any of their employees. You'll never get a raise (I never got one in almost three years) and forget even having your titled spruced up (a fair request once you've accepted you'll never get a raise) even though you've always had incredible reviews each year. Rather, they take away monthly incentives and in some cases lower the commission structure for some teams.

There is no solid communication from the top to the bottom and more often than not the last ones to learn anything are those impacted the most. Executives make changes but never ensure the pions are notified. Doesn't the saying go "you're only as strong as your weakest link?" While on the topic of communication, be careful if you're the only one with expertise on a certain subject. Kareo doesn't feel it's important to train or share information between teams because they jump so fast from project to project. Therefore, there are often times 1-2 people who actually know anything about a particular subject. God forbid that one person isn't there...there isn't anyone else to ask because no one knows anything. It isn't because people "can't handle the pace" as many reviews state...it's simply because there isn't really any cross training done. And ask your manager, forget it!

Take a look around and see what Kareo is becoming. There is a reason everyone is leaving and it probably starts at the top like most things do. Stop pointing fingers and acknowledge that the Titanic has hit the iceberg. The head of HR is gone, the EA is gone, the culture is nothing more than some soda in the fridge, and all the fun hard working employees are leaving to be appreciated elsewhere. People are miserable. One "reviewer" thinks people like me are lazy and nothing more than a whiner. Well this whiner sent emails to various department heads and very openly and quite candidly spoke up for how other employees felt. Nothing ever changed and that is the real reason for all the negative reviews. It's the only means in which we whiners can express how we feel without being swept under the rug. Last I checked, that was the point of these reviews...not to have fake ones created by HR.

Dec 8, 2014CEO

Thank you for taking what was clearly a substantial amount of time to share your feedback about Kareo and your experience as an employee. I am sorry to have lost you as I can tell this was an ... More

What a tangled web they have woven

I have been working at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people make you stay

Cons

Where to begin. This place is so not transparent from the inside you might as well walk around with a blind fold. Processes change week to week. The entire management team has aged 10 years and look so beaten down. Every department looks like a giant he said she said game. So much turnover that it makes your stomach turn to come into work. I am very lucky to be on my final interview somewhere else. Management is usually in hiding and in meetings all day so good luck to you trying to get help. There is no career advancement, pay is bad unless you are an engineer and our culture is burnt to the ground. Buhbye.

Can you be more personable? You are scary.

Dec 8, 2014CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write this review and I’m sorry to hear that you are considering a change. If you do decide to leave Kareo, I wish you the best of luck in your new role and I hope that ... More

Overworked, Underpaid, Engineer looking for new workplace!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

Pros

HR sending an email telling everyone to fill out a 5 star survey on this site.

Cons

Kareo promotes "work life balance" but there is none, especially in engineering.
    If you enjoy salaried wages and being forced into working OT, 60+ hours a week, without additional benefits or wages this place is for you! Don't expect to take a vacation either, even with their new Open PTO policy they're promoting. Wage compensation is below destitution for South OC.

This company will lie to you to get you in the door, they try their hardest to be a big player in Irvine, CA but they're not. Don't fall for their we pay your benefits scam or their stock options. Notice that most of the reviews on this site are from customer support, they were given rewards to fill out surveys on this site 5 starring their love of Kareo to help bury honest reviews on this site and fluff their rating. Best workplace of Orange County is also a sham, internal emails were sent making it mandatory to be filled out by department and individuals singled out for not filling it out or not providing a 5 star ranking! Us engineers are burnt out and looking for new jobs!!!

This company talks about Facebook, Google, Netflix, Zappo's and others A LOT. So much so that they're trying to be those companies, they strive to make their culture like those big guns by forcing it on their employee's. If you work on the engineering side you better make sure you participate in their cultural events because if not you'll be attacked with emails telling you that you have to participate. I'm 100% uncertain how any engineer is to participate in cultural events that are forced when they're working 60+ hours a week and burnt out.

Stop trying to force your culture on your team
    You're not Zappos stop trying to be someone you're not
    Stop moving groups around
    You've already lost great workers that were dedicated but beat up by incompetent management

Mar 2, 2014Human Resources

We welcome all feedback and greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide your insights. While we have encouraged our team members to provide reviews, our only direction has been that they be as ... More

If you love to work day and night Kareo is for you.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have a lot of caffeinated drinks because the company expects you to work long hours. Kareo does have great mixers every month.

Cons

If you live to work this job is for you. When you work for Kareo your family comes second to them. Work place life balance does not exist at Kareo. Kareo is very fast paced and management change their minds quit often on what problems they want to tackle.

Listen to your employees and compensate them for all the hours they put in after a project is done.

Don't judge a book by it's cover.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

- You'll meet many of the most nicest and hard-working people if your lifetime.
    - Free soda and coffee.
    - Free juices on Thursdays.
    - Free yoga 2x a week.
    - Quarterly mixers (not monthly as advertisted).

Everything above is advertised correctly on Kareo's Careers webiste.

Cons

Now to the Cons...

The marketing team does one heck of a job to make Kareo sound and look like Kareo is a place where dreams as make of. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Hence, don't judge a book by it's cover. To be honest, I don't know how they got Kareo to be voted as one of the top places to work in Orange Country. Are they getting these results from employee surverys or are they surveying employees from our Vegas office? I think it's very funny how they hired actors and models to portray Kareo employees for what ever ad campaign they will be promoting. If you noticed, most of the positive reviews are from the Vegas and Costa Rica offices and the negative reviews are from the HQ in Irvine. Sadly, most of the negative reviews are from the Customer Support and RCM teams.

When it comes to managers and leads for the Customer Support, Implementations, and Enrollments teams, I believe that each person is awesome at what they do with what little resources they are given. It is easy to point fingers your direct supervisor and put all of the blame on them. Unfortunately, it is their job to keep all the soliders in line, but I believe that the real issue stems from the executive level.

I feel as though each person in the Customer Support, Implementations, and Enrollment teams are overworked and underpaid. Don't give us the excuse and say that people within a similar department among other companies in our area make the same or less than we do and use that as a reason to not give us raises. You should compare what our individual roles are and how we contribute to the teams. It really comes downs to if you want happy employees, you should compensate them well if not better to the companies you are comparing us with. How you can advertise that Kareo has grown 550% over the past 3 years, yet not fairly compensate your employees for the hard work that they do for you?

Also, when it comes to staffing, it was a mistake opening an office in Costa Rica. Yes, you saved money in regards to cheap labor, but look at the quality that is given. How many customer complain about the service they are provided from the Costa Rica reps? Also, look at the the quality of work they produce? In their defense, their culture, language, and views do not match with ours here in the US. It is not about insulting them. It is about finding teams that have values and ethics that are aligned with the ones set by the company.

My advice is to go back to the roots and bring back that passion and drive that help create a company culture that was unrivaled and made employees proud to be a part of the Kareo family. We used to be excited to come to work, but now many of us have been actively looking for other opportunties. You are losing the people the once believed in Kareo and believed in what use to be good.

Feb 3, 2015CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write this review of your experience working at Kareo. While I would certainly like to see fewer negative reviews like this one here on Glassdoor, I value your opinion ... More

Stepped on and Used upped

I have been working at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices

Pros

There are some very talented and skillful people working at Kareo. Most are friendly and willing to help out when they can.
    Kind of a cool environment when you have a chance to take a breath and enjoy it.
    The software is one of the best out there and is easy to use when it is working properly.
    The company is on a rapid expansion plan.... So it is growing by leaps and bounds

Cons

You are pushed beyond your limits. There isn't enough help to get the job done. Clients have to wait days/weeks/months to get the answers they need.
    Cannot remember the last time I worked a normal 40 hour work week. Not sure there is such a thing as an 8 hour day at Kareo.
    Talented, friendly people work here, but they are bogged down and have their own issues and clients and so help is hard to find. Supervisors just don't answer their phones or emails. Managers are MIA half the time and VPs are in constant meetings that are more important than a day to day problem or issue.
    Outsourcing support is NOT what's in the best interest for any one. How many clients have to melt down about the poor support before we hear them?

You need to realize that the "culture" is not enough to make up for the demands of the job. Those of us that care about Kareo and the clients are getting burned out and are getting very little support from those above us. Having to wait days/weeks for support or engineering to fix something-- or even look at something for a client is just not good service. Stop playing around with the system and make what you have perfect first. All you are doing is ticking off your clients and burning out your employees.

Dec 23, 2014CEO

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback here on Glassdoor. I appreciate seeing reviews from current members of the team and I can tell from your comments that ... More

So many politics - might as well be in DC

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

The people, the life lessons, the business lessons and did I already say the BEST people?? That should do it!

Cons

Where to begin. It once was a place filled with high hopes, room for advancement and positive learning. As agendas changed so did the environment (last 2 years). It went from focusing on being one of the best workplaces, to almost feeling OBLIGATED to BE the best workplace but with little elbow work to be that. Lots of finger pointing and within the last year it's like every man for themself!! It's truly SO SAD. Culture shifted from organic to calculated with many battles fought just to keep employees happy and shielded from the HORRIBLE politics. As the eyes and ears, many grievances were brought to attention but little was ever done. Instead you were penalized for going to your manager. Penalized, fought with, made to feel horrible about yourself, you catch my drift. Numbers, baby. Show them the money or move out of the way!! People started to leave and it was pretty depressing to continue the uphill battle but alas the turnover is speaking for itself. I'll never forget what a Director once said before he left, "you know, I used to believe but I don't anymore. It's not worth it". Sad.

The "open door policy" you once preached should REALLY be reestablished but unfortunately no one trusts management so that's probably a waste of time. They can smell the agenda and are not as dumb as you may think. As someone previously stated, complaints on here are taken as a witch hunt to find out who wrote them and why. Lots of private meetings will happen when in fact, it's not the employees it's YOURSELF you should be trying to change. Honestly, the hole is dug so deep I don't think anything can be done. Your people are so stressed and anxiety ridden that throwing mixers at them won't fix the problem.

Dec 8, 2014CEO

First, I’d like to say that your feedback is appreciated. As CEO, it’s never easy to hear that the company you built over the last 10 years has a few frustrated current or former employees. I don’t ... More

Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices Photos