Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices

Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices Reviews

Updated Apr 6, 2014

Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices Founder & CEO Dan Rodrigues

Dan Rodrigues

Pros:
  • "Kareo is constantly trying new ways to keep their employees happy and providing a great work environment"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Got to learn a lot while interning with the company while working with a lot of great people"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "We are growing so fast and with that we have to develop processes to streamline work flows and till then you have to do trial and error"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The demands created by a fast paced, growing company may not be for everyone"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overworked, Underpaid, Engineer looking for new workplace!

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices full-time for more than a year

ProsHR sending an email telling everyone to fill out a 5 star survey on this site.

ConsKareo promotes "work life balance" but there is none, especially in engineering.
If you enjoy salaried wages and being forced into working OT, 60+ hours a week, without additional benefits or wages this place is for you! Don't expect to take a vacation either, even with their new Open PTO policy they're promoting. Wage compensation is below destitution for South OC.

This company will lie to you to get you in the door, they try their hardest to be a big player in Irvine, CA but they're not. Don't fall for their we pay your benefits scam or their stock options. Notice that most of the reviews on this site are from customer support, they were given rewards to fill out surveys on this site 5 starring their love of Kareo to help bury honest reviews on this site and fluff their rating. Best workplace of Orange County is also a sham, internal emails were sent making it mandatory to be filled out by department and individuals singled out for not filling it out or not providing a 5 star ranking! Us engineers are burnt out and looking for new jobs!!!

This company talks about Facebook, Google, Netflix, Zappo's and others A LOT. So much so that they're trying to be those companies, they strive to make their culture like those big guns by forcing it on their employee's. If you work on the engineering side you better make sure you participate in their cultural events because if not you'll be attacked with emails telling you that you have to participate. I'm 100% uncertain how any engineer is to participate in cultural events that are forced when they're working 60+ hours a week and burnt out.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to force your culture on your team
You're not Zappos stop trying to be someone you're not
Stop moving groups around
You've already lost great workers that were dedicated but beat up by incompetent management

Flag Review

Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices Human Resources responded to this review

Mar 2, 2014

We welcome all feedback and greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide your insights. While we have encouraged our team members to provide reviews, our only direction has been that they be as ... More

If you love to work day and night Kareo is for you.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices full-time for more than a year

ProsThey have a lot of caffeinated drinks because the company expects you to work long hours. Kareo does have great mixers every month.

ConsIf you live to work this job is for you. When you work for Kareo your family comes second to them. Work place life balance does not exist at Kareo. Kareo is very fast paced and management change their minds quit often on what problems they want to tackle.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and compensate them for all the hours they put in after a project is done.

You are a resource to be used up

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices for more than a year

ProsChallenges are there from a technical standpoint.
The office is decorated to look cool and hip.
Some real smart people work here and you can learn alot of new stuff.
Support, Sales and Marketing are king here they get good treatment and they go home at the end of the day.

ConsIf you have friends and family, you'll suffer for working in the engineering, product or operations teams.
Pay does nothing to make your broken life any better.
Products are sort of crappy.
Managers are young and often worthless. They make dumb decisions and suffer no consequences.
Consistent network issues.
People are out for themselves and will let you hang rather than step up and help.
Engineering sucks here. People might work as much at other places, but they get paid more with bonuses.
You see the reviews here? Not many from folks outside of support. Support folks drink the kool-Aid because it's fine for them. Some of them aren't that professional or bright and they get paid really well. So great scores.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit the death march.
Fire or punish crappy managers.
You're company ratings are a sham, boosted by your support teams.
Quit baiting and switching employees in the courting process.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Salary, Poor Managment

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe salary and benefits were great. I enjoyed most of the people with a good location. There was always a great place to catch lunch.

ConsManagement always changing policy and moving quotas monthly. This was a hostile work environment and I always dreaded going into the office. The only time it was safe was when upper management showed up for a visit from Irvine

Advice to Senior ManagementThe lower management had issues and wanted to make you feel intimated. I hope that you have solved the issue.

Don't believe everything you read in some of these reviews. Most are HR boiler points.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

ProsFree coffee. Free soda. Technology good.

ConsWork/life balance was terrible. Many long nights. Low cubicle walls were very distracting. No upward mobility. If you were buddies with certain people you could get ahead. Brown-nosing prevalent and successful. Although they love to promote their open floor plan, it doesn't lead to much collaboration between the Dev group and others.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiscourage the brown-nosing/butt-kissing. Leverage technology consultants when needed because some of your technology folks don't know everything. Find out about the talent you have. The Development group (they're not engineers, by-the-way) doesn't have all the answers. Try to leverage all the talent you have, not just those who are buddies with management.

Transparency preached by Upper Management but not followed

ProsFree Keurig coffee
Free soda
Notebook computer to use

ConsSenior Management preaches about being transparent in their actions, but they don't practice what they preach.
When middle managers ask certain questions, they are not given answers and are told to not ask anymore. For a company that preaches transparency, this is unacceptable. This makes for an unpredictable and unsatisfactory environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach.

Be cautious and use as a stepping stone

Anonymous (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices full-time for more than 3 years

ProsKareo is a good company to gain experience in the Healthcare field and to prepare to get ready for your next step. The experience and the company look great on a resume and it was fun working there.

ConsHuge lack of experience in Healthcare field from some of management and most of the employees. Don't expect to get mentored, you will be on your own. Management is smart, however, like I mentioned before don't expect them to help you grow. I read some of the reviews from current and former software engineers who I have worked very closely with some of them, and my opinion is yes most of what they said is true. So if you are a Product Manager, Project Manager, Business Analyst, or Software Engineer just know you are a resource to be used up. My advice is to be cautious and honestly don't get your hopes up to high about future opportunities and career growth. Overall the positive things of the company outweigh the negatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are going to work there, gain experience then leave. Your most experienced people are going to look elsewhere for better opportunities.

Engineers beware. Know what you are getting into.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

ProsYour coworkers will be among the smartest and friendliest engineers you will ever work with. Even software engineering management is friendly to a fault.

You'll learn a lot through trial and error, and gain insight into how a startup works.

Coworkers hang out after hours, the company is pretty open minded about race/sexual orientation/alternative lifestyles.

ConsThe biggest con is that the company has obtained a lot of funding so it is under tremendous pressure to grow and develop product quickly. This means that there will be lots of pressure on you as a software engineer to build stuff under tight deadlines. A lot of times, the deadline will be set before it is fully decided what will be built. Sometimes, product management will change their mind about what to do shortly before the deadline.

This manifests itself as having a new product to be developed every quarter -- because the board meets every quarter. Product development will then take a month or two to design the product, giving engineers around 2-3 months to build a fully featured product.

Kareo is very title focused -- see the website and discover how many directors to employees there are -- so there is some infighting and political maneuvering to make each department look good. This means we sometimes do not focus on the customer, and you'll have to do your time before being promoted or given a raise because each department has different budgets. This also means that technical decisions are often made for political, not technical decisions.

The product management/user experience/design teams are too large compared to software engineering. Given that the CEO is product focused, engineering concerns like code quality/refactoring/upgrading technologies is given a backseat. Prepare to work on a codebase with a lot of technical debt.

Historically software engineering reported directly to product development. Because of this historical organization, as an engineer you will not be asked for your input into product design / direction.

This may or may not be a con, but there is a strong pressure to conform to company values and culture and promote the company on LinkedIn, Facebook, and even Glassdoor.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can come up with an idea in 15 minutes, but sometimes it can't be accomplished even given a quarter.

Company culture / engineering morale has taken a hit even given our successes.

Great company. But growing TOO fast

RCM Account Manager I (Current Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

ProsGreat people, friendly, awesome mangers. No downtime, fast paced. A lot f combined knowledge in our office and everyone is willing to step up and help anyone that needs it. Lots of growth potential

ConsGrowing too fast. Hard to keep up and deliver quality service. Customers suffer for this. Offshore staff is totally overloaded and we just keep piling more work on them. Disconnect between California office and Las Vegas. CA folks are supposed to support us but they don't.

Advice to Senior ManagementSLOW DOWN and be more choosy in clientele. It seems we take ANYONE as a client. Not a good idea.

Kareo in Fast Growth

Las Vegas, NV

ProsFast Growing, Friendly People, Good Service

ConsHard to keep up with fast growth and provide quality service and product due to fast growth

Worked for Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices CEO Dan Rodrigues. All 55 reviews posted anonymously by Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices employees.