Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices

Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices Founder & CEO Dan Rodrigues

Dan Rodrigues

Pros
  • Kareo is constantly trying new ways to keep their employees happy and providing a great work environment(in 7 reviews)

• Got to learn a lot while interning with the company while working with a lot of great people(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is ok, but sometimes can be challenging with our fast paced growth(in 7 reviews)

• We are growing so fast and with that we have to develop processes to streamline work flows and till then you have to do trial and error(in 4 reviews)

On the surface, great.

ProsOf course, the perks. Benefits, drinks, parties and all the other fluff to keep you entertained. I will admit, they certainly keep everyone entertained (depends on who you ask). Free drinks [alcohol too].
    They pay you well.

ConsThe culture isn't exactly what it seems. If you fit in, all is well.
    The company used to be transparent -- not so much. Not as honest or focused on the 'details' as they may have been before.
    HIPAA is a very big concern they are "working" on, but honestly hasn't been fixed.
    The system is always down somewhere somehow and they give talking points sometimes hours later. Customers and employees alike are under stress because of the lack of communication between departments.
    Positions are made with people in mind, yet they keep up hope by letting anyone interview. Hint: It doesn't really matter.
    As stated before, certain departments are obviously the golden children.
    "Outsourced" employees or employees rushed to floor cause more issues than Kareo can focus on at once.
    Some people in very high positions are not qualified to handle the matters they do. Not said out of spite, but reality.

Ah, and they ask us to leave good reviews to trump up the image as well as spending time during training to keep Kareo at the top of search engines.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistency. Follow the rules you claim to follow. Treat all employees and departments equally and with respect.
    Leads, Managers, higher ups... Call your customers and employees back. There should be no reason that one should have to wait over a week for an incomplete email or unclear call. Not only is it bad service, it's downright rude. Don't get too big for britches.

Does management care about us?!?

RCM Account Manager I (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGreat work culture. Free soda and coffee. Awesome break room and month mixtures.

ConsManagement doesn't listen to our concerns. They keep piling their employees up with work when they are overwhelmed. NO quality work is put out. Client cancelation or escalation are threaten with write ups. IS CEO DAN AWARE OF HOW POORLY MANAGEMENT IS HANDLING THIS DEPARTMENT? The moral of the department is extremely low. Everyone is talking about finding a new job because we are not getting the help that is needed. Employees can not handle the many accounts that are given. Employee hard work is not being recognized. RCM department has an offshore team who keeps screwing up all the accounts and Kareo employees are being blamed and getting written up or threaten. They are too busy fixing offshore team mistakes to get any work done. Usually by the time they find the mistake its already too late and the customer is angry. People who speak up get in trouble and people who are quiet are scared to speak the truth and lose their job. It is a lose lose situation. When you ask for help upper management/leads are too busy to help you. You end up getting the blame even when you are asking for help.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people. Show you care about the client and want quality work and stop overwhelming your employees with clients they can not handle. Don't tell your employees that they are not for Kareo if they come ask for help. Listen to your employee. Ask about their questions and concerns to understand what is and isn't working. Help your employees.

Bring your "A" game

Software Engineering (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsEngineering doesn't settle for second best. Standards are high, work hard and play even harder. This is a tight knit group. Be prepared to stand up for what you believe in, and relax off hours with "great" friends. This is what Kareo is about. Be part of a team and part of a family. Do you want to be part of something this special?

Better benefits and compensation than most companies. Monthly mixers, lunches paid for, and an engineering leadership team that is working to make sure they take care of their talent.

A SaaS company in Orange County that is freeing our Doctors to focus on patient care? Using technology to build amazing products? Be part of something greater than yourself?

The technical teams (software and network operations) are getting it done and have an amazing pool of talent, and they deliver "results".

Gauntlet thrown to other companies in Orange County...BRING IT!!!!

Oh and our CEO knows his stuff!!!

ConsListen, nothing is perfect and you have to put up with some nonsense with people that started their careers here. There's a bit of drama from the corporate IT side that seems like a complete waste of time...yawn...drama...distraction....and no one taking appropriate action to remedy this.

There are politics at play it seems instead of just cutting people lose and getting others that can contribute to the culture. Some have gotten a bit tired of dealing with this, best to make a clean sweep and set us up for success.

Advice to Senior Management"A" players. That's what we want. Don't let anyone settle for less or force us put up with nonsense. We say get on board or move out of the way. We have people here that care and won't settle for second best. Turn us loose and watch what happens.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work -- Fast Paced and Good Culture

Network Operations (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

Pros- good group of people
    - culture
    - contributions to community
    - smart leaders, and down to earth
    - interesting products
    - multiple locations, vibrant cultures in each
    - a lot of technology
    - monthly celebrations and recognitions
    - social media footprint that brings everyone together
    - senior leadership that is always willing to take the time for employees

Cons- technical debt that has to be managed (think that may be due to the nature of healthcare as a whole though)
    - not always enough time to get things done, but that's not really different from pretty much anywhere else
    - open seating can be a bit hard to concentrate at times, but there are plenty of quiet places

Advice to Senior Management- keep promoting and supporting the culture

It's great if you're in product dev

ProsAll the hardware is new. The office is in a nice location. Great break room.

ConsThe CEO proffered department has always been product development. I understand that product development is very important but please don't forget of the other departments as they are also contributing to a successful company.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize all your staff. A simple "hi, how are you doing" from a VP or higher (exception of James Armijo) or at least making eye contact while walking past someone could mean so much. Talk to your employees, show you care.

Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices CEO responded to this review

Jun 11, 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback. I’m sorry to hear that you feel I favor our product development team. I can assure that I care deeply about all of our team members and I work hard to spend ... More

A lot of smart people and good culture.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsThere are a lot of smart people with various backgrounds from different industries. Everyone is passionate about their work. Exposure to different technologies. Environment promotes open collaboration between groups. The culture is progressive and work is challenging. Hours are flexible which helps provide some balance between work and life. Love the ping pong table.

ConsWork/life balance is ok, but sometimes can be challenging with our fast paced growth. No 401k matching.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to refine and communicate company vision and stay focused on longer term objectives.

Good Company, good culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGood Technology, good culture and people.

ConsLimited career movement, The building that Kareo is in is difficult to park and get to.

Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices Human Resources responded to this review

May 20, 2014

Thanks so much for the feedback. Please talk to your manager or HR regarding career advancement. We’d love to hear your ideas on how we can provide our employees a more meaningful employment ... More

Even at their worst, Kareo is pretty good.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGreat office, perks like lunch, yoga, flexible hours, etc. Very talented people and a diverse workforce. Excellent vision helping small practices.

ConsLong hours, lack of growth and limited vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your talented people, and empower them. Let them work on the items that are most impactful to the customer, not shareholders.

May 8, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback!

Be cautious and use as a stepping stone

Anonymous (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsKareo is a good company to gain experience in the Healthcare field and to prepare to get ready for your next step. The experience and the company look great on a resume and it was fun working there.

ConsHuge lack of experience in Healthcare field from some of management and most of the employees. Don't expect to get mentored, you will be on your own. Management is smart, however, like I mentioned before don't expect them to help you grow. I read some of the reviews from current and former software engineers who I have worked very closely with some of them, and my opinion is yes most of what they said is true. So if you are a Product Manager, Project Manager, Business Analyst, or Software Engineer just know you are a resource to be used up. My advice is to be cautious and honestly don't get your hopes up to high about future opportunities and career growth. Overall the positive things of the company outweigh the negatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are going to work there, gain experience then leave. Your most experienced people are going to look elsewhere for better opportunities.

Engineers beware. Know what you are getting into.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsYour coworkers will be among the smartest and friendliest engineers you will ever work with. Even software engineering management is friendly to a fault.

You'll learn a lot through trial and error, and gain insight into how a startup works.

Coworkers hang out after hours, the company is pretty open minded about race/sexual orientation/alternative lifestyles.

ConsThe biggest con is that the company has obtained a lot of funding so it is under tremendous pressure to grow and develop product quickly. This means that there will be lots of pressure on you as a software engineer to build stuff under tight deadlines. A lot of times, the deadline will be set before it is fully decided what will be built. Sometimes, product management will change their mind about what to do shortly before the deadline.

This manifests itself as having a new product to be developed every quarter -- because the board meets every quarter. Product development will then take a month or two to design the product, giving engineers around 2-3 months to build a fully featured product.

Kareo is very title focused -- see the website and discover how many directors to employees there are -- so there is some infighting and political maneuvering to make each department look good. This means we sometimes do not focus on the customer, and you'll have to do your time before being promoted or given a raise because each department has different budgets. This also means that technical decisions are often made for political, not technical decisions.

The product management/user experience/design teams are too large compared to software engineering. Given that the CEO is product focused, engineering concerns like code quality/refactoring/upgrading technologies is given a backseat. Prepare to work on a codebase with a lot of technical debt.

Historically software engineering reported directly to product development. Because of this historical organization, as an engineer you will not be asked for your input into product design / direction.

This may or may not be a con, but there is a strong pressure to conform to company values and culture and promote the company on LinkedIn, Facebook, and even Glassdoor.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can come up with an idea in 15 minutes, but sometimes it can't be accomplished even given a quarter.

Company culture / engineering morale has taken a hit even given our successes.

Worked for Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices? Contribute to the Community!