Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices

Updated December 17, 2014
3.7

Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices Founder & CEO Dan Rodrigues
Dan Rodrigues

Pros
  • There are great people in all departments, more than I've seen at previous employers (in 8 reviews)

• Kareo is constantly trying new ways to keep their employees happy and providing a great work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is ok, but sometimes can be challenging with our fast paced growth (in 8 reviews)

• Kareo promotes "work life balance" but there is none, especially in engineering (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

great company overall

Current Employee - RCM KVO in San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)
    Current Employee - RCM KVO in San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)

I have been working at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices full-time (more than an year)

Pros

awsome activities.
    good environment.
    growth.
    salary
    involvement.
    great people.
    good services.
    awsome software for doctors.

Cons

not so good working schedules.
    since it's growing changes are a bit hard.

getting a bit more involved with the outter offices.

Opened my mind to new scopes in the healthcare field

Current Employee - Medical Scribe in San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)
    Current Employee - Medical Scribe in San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)

I have been working at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I sent my resume and I got a call for an interview in less than 2 weeks. I started the recruiting process when the HR manager called and we set up a meeting. I did a writing test based on medical questions: terminology, acronyms, fill-in sentences. Then I started with the process and training, which I quickly understood.
    Managers and chiefs are approachable.
    Friendly co-workers

Cons

So far, I have no complaints. At first I didnt know what to think about the job because it is not the regular job for a medical doctor (at least here in Costa Rica), but after the training and all the process, I saw that there are other scopes to explore and take advantage of in the medical field. Right now happy and looking forward at the job.

This is the one you should read

Former Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Zero unless you like working and average of 10-12 hour days for a kuerig machine and a bunch of teeth rotting soda

Cons

Select * from Kareo
    Just working here is a con. No work life balance. Don't let their materialistic mindset cloud your judgement. The engineering side of the house is a joke along with management. Network operations has zero leadership, DevOps management can't figure out what's going on with their employees and churn is extreme at the company. They like to burn through engineers like you wouldn't believe, literally people leaving every two weeks.

None, they didn't listen to my input then why would they now.

Fantastic Experience

I have been working at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vary talented executive management team
    Consistent and clear messaging from the CEO to all levels of the organization
    Fun atmosphere
    Great product
    Strong positioning for the future
    CEO has always been very approachable
    Advancement - I have been promoted 3 times in 4 years.

Cons

As with any high growth company, Kareo constantly tweaks processes, workflows, org structure, and requirements. Only a con if you don't like that type of environment.

Continue to do what you are doing - keep adding to the product, perfecting the services/support, communicate to entire organization on a regular basis, and asking for input from the customer facing employees.

An energizing and purposeful place to work!

Current Employee - Marketing in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Irvine, CA

Pros

Kareo is a fast-growing, venture capital backed software company on a mission to help small practice physicians leverage technology for the betterment of their practice and the patients they serve. It has the fun culture of a young company and the processes and talented management team of a more mature one. Kareo has a rock star support team, super smart engineers and a product roadmap that is destined to support doctors and their staff succeed. The company has multiple locations in the U.S. and is now serving over 25,000 medical providers across every state. The founder/CEO is a successful lifelong entrepreneur who is dedicated to deliver the team and culture needed to pursue the mission and succeed as a company long term. The company has a fun culture that celebrates success and allows for fun employee events. There's also all the mini-benefits you'd expect including free sodas, free smoothies on Thursdays, Yoga classes and Crossfit during the week. Oh, and the larger offices in Irvine and Las Vegas are fun, collaborative and beautifully furnished spaces.

Cons

The Irvine office is beautiful but it's a bit of a walk to the parking garage, there are opportunities to improve on the 401k plan value, would like to see a few healthier daily options for drinks (vs. just sodas).

Stay focused on the mission to serve small practice doctors, hire people who are empathetic and supportive of that mission, continue supporting and reinvigorating the culture that made Kareo such a great place to work and continue looking to fill roles, as possible, with internal talent.

Stepped on and Used upped

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices

Pros

There are some very talented and skillful people working at Kareo. Most are friendly and willing to help out when they can.
    Kind of a cool environment when you have a chance to take a breath and enjoy it.
    The software is one of the best out there and is easy to use when it is working properly.
    The company is on a rapid expansion plan.... So it is growing by leaps and bounds

Cons

You are pushed beyond your limits. There isn't enough help to get the job done. Clients have to wait days/weeks/months to get the answers they need.
    Cannot remember the last time I worked a normal 40 hour work week. Not sure there is such a thing as an 8 hour day at Kareo.
    Talented, friendly people work here, but they are bogged down and have their own issues and clients and so help is hard to find. Supervisors just don't answer their phones or emails. Managers are MIA half the time and VPs are in constant meetings that are more important than a day to day problem or issue.
    Outsourcing support is NOT what's in the best interest for any one. How many clients have to melt down about the poor support before we hear them?

You need to realize that the "culture" is not enough to make up for the demands of the job. Those of us that care about Kareo and the clients are getting burned out and are getting very little support from those above us. Having to wait days/weeks for support or engineering to fix something-- or even look at something for a client is just not good service. Stop playing around with the system and make what you have perfect first. All you are doing is ticking off your clients and burning out your employees.

Dec 23, 2014CEO

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback here on Glassdoor. I appreciate seeing reviews from current members of the team and I can tell from your comments that ... More

Always an exciting day at Kareo!

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Irvine, CA

Pros

As a marketing intern I am faced with all sorts of exciting/new projects that are exposing me to not only marketing experience but also to the business side of medical software that caters to small practices. Everyone is super knowledgable about the company and their department goals. Everyone has a "get it done" mentality that is very inspiring.

Cons

Lots of new faces at first but now after a few months at Kareo I have been able to meet almost everyone.

Keep up the good work!

Dec 8, 2014CEO

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your experience at Kareo. As a fast growing company, there are many opportunities to learn and grow here – great to have you!

There are ALWAYS whiners, don't listen come join us and be part of an amazing company

Pros

GREAT place to work! Most of the current staff are rock stars (in all locations)! Innovative minds are here! Engineers, Sales, Design etc. There is alot of knowledge here! Kareo has very big goals and big future plans; that means hard work, long days sometimes and tough decisions. Being a part that that is exciting and should be viewed as such. Whiners will always whine there is no getting around that no matter where you work. The "pot stirrers", drama queens and whiners are finally moving on! That's good for us. Those kind of people pull any company down. They are unable to adapt to change or to even consider seeing things differently and then twist that into something its not to make up for their own inadequacy and save face.
    We are in hyper growth, things change quickly and you must be able to adapt. I see nothing but a bright future for Kareo! I'm in it for the long haul!
    This company cares for its employees and shows that in many ways. Benefits are amazing, training is everywhere but you must be a go-getter. The culture has changed and will continue to change, that's not a bad thing.

Cons

Current staffing is poorly coordinated and customer service is suffering for that. A few departments that affect the entire company are in disarray.

With rapid growth comes mistakes and knee jerk reactions to situations. This is a time that everyone needs to take a small step back and view the bigger picture. Reconfigure thinking and don't become unraveled. Be sure that customer service is always the #1 objective, no matter the price. Be more aggressive in hiring where it is needed and do it quickly. Cut the dead weight loose and don't look back

Dec 8, 2014CEO

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. I think your comments provide an important perspective that will contribute to providing the visitors of this website a more balanced view of life at Kareo ... More

Bye bye, Culture!

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Irvine, CA

Pros

You will be working with awesome people that will share your pain of how miserable it is to work here.

- Free coffee and soda! Yay...(sarcasm implied)
    - The marketing team does an amazing job showing the world of how great Kareo. Basically it's a bad book with an amazing cover. #kareoculture #not
    - The most of the leads in Customer Support do care about their employees.

Cons

- The company and their goals are not as transparent as it used to be.
    - For the longest time, we thought the CEO cared about his employees. He is more focused on making money and how the company is viewed from the public's eye.
    - No raises. I'm sorry, but the excuse of saying that we are being paid pretty well for what we do compared to positions within a similar industry is a lie.
    - Culture is dead.
    - To get rid of people, management simply state that Kareo is going in a certain direction and therefore they your role has been eliminated. Do you get an option of going in that direction with Kareo? Nope! Real reason is because you have opinions and I tired of listening to your input.
    - There's a whole lot more, but I'm too burnt out being disappointed in a company I used to love.

Mr. CEO and Management, please be honest with your employees. If the company is not making enough money to give their employee raises, then just say so. As far as culture goes, there's no point in bringing it back to where it used to be. People are burnt out and you don't even see it. Customer Support, Customer Sucess, Enrollments, RCM, Engineering, Product Development, etc...we are burnt out! Please help us!

Dec 23, 2014CEO

Thanks for taking a few minutes to share your thoughts about Kareo and I’m sorry to hear that we are not meeting your expectations. Successfully and positively growing a company (revenue and people ... More

So many politics - might as well be in DC

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people, the life lessons, the business lessons and did I already say the BEST people?? That should do it!

Cons

Where to begin. It once was a place filled with high hopes, room for advancement and positive learning. As agendas changed so did the environment (last 2 years). It went from focusing on being one of the best workplaces, to almost feeling OBLIGATED to BE the best workplace but with little elbow work to be that. Lots of finger pointing and within the last year it's like every man for themself!! It's truly SO SAD. Culture shifted from organic to calculated with many battles fought just to keep employees happy and shielded from the HORRIBLE politics. As the eyes and ears, many grievances were brought to attention but little was ever done. Instead you were penalized for going to your manager. Penalized, fought with, made to feel horrible about yourself, you catch my drift. Numbers, baby. Show them the money or move out of the way!! People started to leave and it was pretty depressing to continue the uphill battle but alas the turnover is speaking for itself. I'll never forget what a Director once said before he left, "you know, I used to believe but I don't anymore. It's not worth it". Sad.

The "open door policy" you once preached should REALLY be reestablished but unfortunately no one trusts management so that's probably a waste of time. They can smell the agenda and are not as dumb as you may think. As someone previously stated, complaints on here are taken as a witch hunt to find out who wrote them and why. Lots of private meetings will happen when in fact, it's not the employees it's YOURSELF you should be trying to change. Honestly, the hole is dug so deep I don't think anything can be done. Your people are so stressed and anxiety ridden that throwing mixers at them won't fix the problem.

Dec 8, 2014CEO

First, I’d like to say that your feedback is appreciated. As CEO, it’s never easy to hear that the company you built over the last 10 years has a few frustrated current or former employees. I don’t ... More

Kareo Medical Office Software for Small Practices Photos