Karmaloop

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Greg Selkoe

Overall, a fun place to start

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsKarmaloop is a good place to start out. It's great while you're young and eager to work. Lots of young employees and a fun atmosphere. Great location in Boston and employees are passionate about the culture.

ConsVery fast turnaround in all departments, wouldn't expect to be here for a long time.

It was an easy gig.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you got a blog with lots of followers then a lot of people will use your repcode. Or if you got lots of friends that loves shopping online that has a street wear fashion, then they use your repcode. In the end they get 10% off their order and you get 10% of each dollar they spend.

ConsI did not experience any major cons. Usually the cons were just not having people using your repcode.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing an amazing job.

Flag Review
    Karmaloop HR Director responded to this review Jun 19, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks so much! We really appreciate your feedback and are very optimistic about the outlook for the Company as well!

"Greg Selkoe is a Good Boss and cares, Karmaloop is Good Place to Work"

Merch (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsFun, young, fast paced job, Lots of Dogs, interesting people, given responsibilities and space, industry leading website. Met a lot of amazing people.

ConsNot always clear direction or organization, younger staff lots of them have never had another job have unrealistic expectations and some people work hard others don't and take advantage, not enough middle Managment, people who are not qualified doing some positions, some employees think they are smarter or no more than they do dogs when they poop on floor

Advice to Senior ManagementI read some of reviews and that made me want to write mine. I think some were really unfair to Karmaloop and to Greg and Dina. I have been here at karmaloop over 5 years. I have had opportunity to work with Greg Selkoe and have learned far more about business and how running a business is so different and hard compared to what you thought. He works as hard as anyone in company, he has always listened to me. I think there are a lot of young people who never worked anywhere else and think Karmaloop should be like Google or something it is a street wear site guys! I have had several other jobs in retail unlike a lot of people they have no idea what it is like, the money issues or way people are treated anywhere else I would like some people to work at my last job and last boss they would quit in 5 minutes. I would say if you want to come to a fast paced fun creative enviornment which I will admit is not the greatest work life balance but if you like this type of clothing or style this is best in world come here. If you want boring 9-5 with mean boss, people who are not passionate about the place and rules and regs go work in Corperate enviornment... I was always surprised how much access you get to Greg Selkoe himself you won't get that at many places and he wrote me a grad school recommendation. So as far as I concerned I am greatful for opportunity and love Karmaloop! if it is not for you, and I admit it is different than you should just try some place else and find out what real world is like

Flag Review
    Karmaloop HR Director responded to this review Jun 19, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for the feedback! We appreciate all your kind words!

Greg sure does make himself available to all employees! He has an open door policy and appreciates all the employees and all their
    ... More
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer service specialist (intern)

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsFun, interactive environment with young and excited employees. The location is right downtown and there are great out of work parties. There is a high energy needed because it is a fast, hardworking, and learning pace.

ConsNot much development which leads to high turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave employees learn more outside of their department, and keep them interested.

Meh

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosexcellent exposure to streetwear world
    prime office location
    wear whatever you want to work

Consseems like there is constant turn over amongst all departments
    low pay when compared to competitors
    little work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementReally sit down and evaluate your teams to find where where workflow problems are happening, and how they could be solved, learn how to better delegate so people aren't overeworked.

Couldn't wait to get out

Boston, MA

ProsCompany is still run like a small company so you have the ability to work on a lot of different projects.

ConsEverything had to be done yesterday, people got called out for being late to a meeting when senior management was on time. All the other times folks had to sit and wait for them to get there.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to take the advice of others.

Great friends, no management

Boston, MA

ProsYour coworkers are all great and will become your friends
    You can bring dogs to work
    Very lax environment
    Ability to take on tasks that are beyond your level of experience

ConsUpper management makes bad and uneducated decisions
    People get laid off for no reason
    No training
    Underpaid employees
    No one is happy

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that your employees' happiness is important to the success of your company
    Employees need to get trained and have managers in order to grow

Kind of a messy company

Boston, MA

ProsIt's super hip, super young, and pretty fun. The office is a really great space, and there are dogs running around (if you're into that). They have a lot of connections in the Boston area, and some of the people are really cool. Analytics is really lacking for an ecommerce company.

ConsSometimes it seems like no one knows what they are doing. Not being the standard 'professional' is a plus to some, but it gets old really fast when work doesn't get done and people still act snobbish. There's a serious lack of training (again: many people don't know what they're doing) and any sort of progressive structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep and continue to hire bright young minds who align with karmaloop's brand; drop the ones who just want the name to flaunt at parties.

Ship sinking fast - Do yourself a favor - Don't come here

ProsSome cool people and you might become "cooler". Founders Greg & Dina are great leaders and very good people -- if you work hard, they will treat you well.

ConsNot that he would ever read this because he's in his own "world" but - retarded, "snake like", incompetent COO. The guy doesn't care about his employees, sets unrealistic expectations that leads to rushed projects and work, and the worst part is he never takes any sort of responsibility -- Blame, Blame, Blame. The only reason that guy is in the position is because he is Greg's Friend. Greg is a smart guy, but his biggest business mistake was appointing a clown at COO. He has no value and collects a massive paycheck - Basically Greg is doing the work of a COO and a CEO.

The guy is afraid of numbers (anyone who knows about business knows that data is a key to making decisions), and makes terrible decisions because of it. He treats Karmaloop as his "lottery ticket" in life and his Red Eye to retirement. The reality is, everyone in the company sees this (but can't say this because of the COO's insecurities and tyrannical management style) and soon inventors will understand this and kick him out. He doesn't set any priorities and everyone is working on "everything" at once so it gets done poorly.

The truth is I feel bad for Greg because he appointed his friend and I am sure that Greg regrets it at this point in the company's life-cycle.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreg and Dina - do yourself a favor -- get a real COO or VP of e-commerce before its tool late.

More layoffs...

Operations (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsEmployees there are young and cool but don't last long, so you may make some friends.

ConsWell for such a cool company they sure lay off a lot of employees, currently Karmaloop just let go of over 30 full time employees near 20% of the company per the Boston Globe, fired their CFO, and now have a temp CFO. I don't know how many CFOs and Accounting Managers they have had over the past 5 years but I want to say about 6 or 7 (not a good sign).

While I was there people would be fired just about daily, and there were layoffs constantly, the issue was management was inexperienced and did not put together proper budgets and forecast sales. They would then fire people for a few months then when business picked up hire fire and repeat.

Management is vicious verbally assaulting people daily. If Karmaloop calls you about a job and tells you about there unique corporate culture tell them they can keep the uniqueness and you would prefer to have a stable career with upside potential. The only people who should take a job at KL are people desperate for a job and who are right out of school.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a experienced executives, and concentrate on marketing and branding that is what they are good at, in the end you will benefit.

Worked for Karmaloop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Karmaloop reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Karmaloop CEO Greg Selkoe . All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Karmaloop employees.