Karmaloop Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Greg Selkoe

Pros
  • If you got a blog with lots of followers then a lot of people will use your repcode (in 5 reviews)

• Can wear whatever you want, some cool people, you will learn a lot because you are being worked so much (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management makes bad and uneducated decisions (in 7 reviews)

• Zero work-life balance, and don't even think about taking any time off (in 4 reviews)

1. It was alright

Pros

Nice people. Great location. Young staff

Cons

There was no exact job description. Interns were kind of a lost cause. The lack of communication between employees and the structure made it difficult for interns to actually understand what they are doing

Advice to Management

Have a structured internship program

2. This wasn't a professional company, it was a drama-filled high school

Former Employee - Developer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at Karmaloop full-time

Pros

Relaxed dress code, or perhaps "lack" of dress code is more accurate. You could wear your everyday T shirts, tank tops, shorts, and jeans or whatever. I guess the only hard rule was that you had to wear clothes and that you couldn't be running around in your underwear. You could bring your dog to work, as long as it wasn't a big dog I guess. It was fun to play with some of the dogs that would wander around the offices.

Cons

This company had the most toxic and unfriendly work environment that I had ever experienced. It was like being in a high school full of drama instead of a professional company. There was little communication and cooperation between some departments, and it often felt like you could cut the tension with a knife, especially around times when people were being laid off, which wasn't an uncommon occurrence at the company. The technology department was treated like dirt. The CEO Greg was giving away an extra T shirt one day to one of the developers, but instead of handing it over to him like he was a human being, he just threw it at him like he was trash. I'm not sure that the developer even wanted it. The marketing department would get catered lunches once a week while the developers got pizza once or twice when we worked overtime (which was often), but considering that many developers are generally paid high salaries, I guess that's fair. It didn't help to make you feel any less like a second-class employee though. I heard second hand that one of the C-level executives once scolded a girl from marketing for her apparent poor performance by threatening to make her sleep with one of the developers as punishment. It was pretty insulting to learn that we were so poorly regarded that anyone would consider using us as a punishment like that. We're human beings just like anyone else. Extremely poor work-life balance. You only get 2 weeks of vacation, and you're discouraged from using them during high sale seasons such as around Black Friday. You're also expected to work overtime during these periods as well. It's not unusual for people to be working on the weekends, from customer service reps to people in marketing.

Advice to Management

Don't foster a toxic working environment, treat ALL of your employees with respect, and hire professionals who are qualified for their jobs, and that applies to C-level positions as well.

3. Marketing Intern

Pros

I gained a lot of experience that has led to other job offers.

Cons

I was over worked, under paid, and poorly managed my whole time at Karmaloop.

5. Amazing Team

Pros

- amazing team based environment - creative ideas inspired - easy to have your voice heard

Cons

- hard work and long hours but it's worth it - lots of company turn over

6. Interesting and challenging work place.

Pros

There are some great people who work there. The work is challenging and the problems are interesting to solve.

Cons

Tight deadlines are a normal occurrence.

Highly Unorganized

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Karmaloop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young culture in the heart of downtown Boston.

Cons

Upper management plays favorites, promotions are based on who you know rather than actual performance. Management will have employees working long hours to figure out practical strategies and solutions only to over ride these solutions and act on their emotional and illogical thoughts processes. This was perhaps Karmaloop's biggest flaw and ultimately one of the main reasons why they recently filed for bankruptcy.

Advice to Management

Let your department heads actual lead their departments, hire people who are qualified for their positions.

A train wreck

I worked at Karmaloop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some cool people. The location was good and the work was fast paced. Plenty of parties and beautiful people.

Cons

Too many to name. The worst management I've ever seen hands down. I had PTSD from my experience working there. I had to take year off in order to get my head on straight again. It was a horrible experience. It was like being gang raped by clowns.

Advice to Management

If Greg was serious about helping the company he'd fire himself. Quite frankly I'm amazed he's avoided being charged with fraud.

The company is finally Bankrupt!

Pros

I guess Kanye is buying them out for pennies on the dollar according to Fox News Boston, I wonder if he will still let you bring a dog to work lol.

Cons

This company will be a case study at a business school on how to not run a company. Almost everything the COO and CEO did was toxic. They have fallen very far from being a publicly traded company, did they really ever think they could be an IPO? I will be reading the news carefully to see if the executives will be found guilty of any fraud or illegal acts. The company was built on debt, it was all smoke and mirrors and I am shocked they were ever able to raise any funding ever. I hate to kick someone while they are down, but the CEO and COO have this coming from poor employee treatment to their smug attitudes, and lack of business knowledge. I am sure there will be a line a mile long to testify at the bankruptcy hearings about the CEO and COO.

Advice to Management

Well we all told you this a long time ago you were on a path of destroying what could have been a great company, and you did it, great job!

if all you want to do is get paid some change and party this place is for you

Current Employee - Social Media Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Social Media Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Karmaloop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

can't lie, the company culture is fun. LOTS of little dogs running around and you can wear whatever you want. perf for a college internship that you just need to satisfy credits for since they dont make you work too hard.

Cons

fun comes at a cost. the experience you get here and be spun into something if you are good at turning nothing into something. But for the most part, don't work here if you are planning to make it a stepping stone to advance your career. The pay is horrible and you see where all the leftovers from everyone's low salary goes when/ if you ever get invited to the CEO's penthouse condo. Appearance is everything and if you don't look the part you won't get hired, regardless of your skill level. but then again, if you have skills at what you do and you want to make a career of it, try RueLALA or UsTrendy instead.

Advice to Management

learn how to VALUE your employees and take a little more pride in how you run your company rather than just focusing on how to get the bottom dollar.

Good experience

Pros

Cool vibe and learned the basic of organizing as an intern. Got free stuff when making a little extra effort to help out.

Cons

My manager didn't seem to care that I was around nor made an effort to make sure that I was learning anything. I had to create my own projects and really put my foot in the door to make some sort of impression. Manager overall seemed disinterested in me

RSS Feed </> Embed