Kastle Systems

Updated July 29, 2014
3.6

Kastle Systems Co-Chairman & CEO Piyush Sodha
Piyush Sodha

Out with the old, in with the new!

I worked at Kastle Systems

Pros

-Leadership knows what products to put money into

Cons

-Execution of everything
    -Pay
    -Stated goals and the path to get to them are widely disparate

1) USE MONETARY INCENTIVES TO ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS!!! Your current business model encourages working just hard enough that you don't get fired.
    2) Your stated goal is to be a "Top 50" company to work for. However you offer no 401k matching, no true bonus, quietly removed your education assistance program, require a 3 year commitment to receive a promotion, and expect college educated employees to work for 12/hr in the call center or 15-16/hr in client services.

Great people - solid company with some fixable executive/management shortcomings

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Kastle Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As others have said, the people are awesome and are absolutely what make Kastle a special place to work for. In spite of some of the other reviews to the contrary, the executives do seem to care about the company and are investing in it in many smart ways - from moving almost every office to lower cost locations to investing in the technology and product to build a lead and differentiate the company from our competition. Like the quarterly social events as well as the fruit/doughnuts/popcorn/soda on fridays.

Cons

I see too many people set up to fail by being put into jobs that they are either not well suited to perform or simply don't have the resources to perform adequately. If additional resources are requested, human resources can be a bottleneck because there is only one lower-level employee - the VP of HR slot has been vacant for over a year, as has the CFO position. While my manager is good about commending good work, most other managers and the senior leadership seems much more apt to scold for negative and take those opportunities to deny employees compensation increases. Also, work-life balance can be put to the test at times, with most employees having been moved to salaried positions and now being required to respond to customer needs 24/7 without any corresponding increase in compensation. No corporate 401K match.

Its commendable for the senior leadership to be customer-focused, however you also need to start being more employee focused as well. That goes beyond just creating programs such as "fitness first" (which is great), but it also includes visiting the 1st floor and checking in and seeing what YOU can do for THEM. Don't just visit employees when there is a crisis - invest in them as an employee and as a person.

Great Company, Great Legacy, Bright Future

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Kastle Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ownership has made significant investments in our techology, people and processes and they continue to innovate. Leadership genuinely demonstrates care for it's employees while balancing the fiscal responsibilty associated with sustaining a successful business. The vast majority of our employees are highly engaged and regularly put the needs of our customers and company first. Opportunities for professional growth abound.

Cons

Employees are often asked to wear many hats although in today's economy I believe you'd be hard-pressed to find very many companies that don't need to ask their employees to do a little more in order to ensure the health and ongoing success of their businesses.

Continue to invest in new technology, infrastructure and your people. And, keep the free popcorn and donuts coming on Fridays :)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very dysfunctional organization with disconnected senior level management and dedicated loyal and caring employees.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Kastle Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very conscientious workforce that is under appreciated by executive management. Good strategic plan for growth with innovative technology solutions in development.

Cons

Difficulty accomplishing organizational objectives due to departmental segregation and disconnected communication. Operational strategies are not well thought out. Band aids are too often the answer to deeply rooted operational shortcomings and cultural conflicts. The end result is reoccurring issues with no long term solutions....remember Bill Murray in Ground Hog Day?? Very reminiscent of Kastles problem solving capabilities.

Bring in good talent with great people skills. Understand the answer is not work more hours...it's working smarter. Understand the importance of life/work balance. Hold onto good employees...they are worth every penny you pay them. Too many have walked away.

Overall good company

Former Employee - Service Technician  in  Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Kastle Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Dedicated employees and good customer base

Cons

To many individuals wearing more than one hat. Could benefit from staffing up departments a bit more. Management could do a better job supporting their employees.

Like working for family - in a good way.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kastle Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really appreciate the support I have recieved while working here. I really feel like the people I work with care about me and my family and that we're a team. The staff appreciation events are great. This place may not be what I envisioned when I went to college but I really like working here. The customers are generally very pleasant and appreciative. Our office is well-lead and our manager is often singled out for kudos by the DC main office.

Cons

Expectations can be a bit higher than you can sometimes deliver. The workload can be very heavy. The benefits decisions are made by the company headquarters in Northern Virginia (DC) and as a result our benefits aren't that great as they were slected on the basis of cost and ease of use for the employees in the DC office. You can sometimes feel like the branches (like ours) are the step-children of the DC office and as such the DC office always gets the best stuff (appreciation events, vending perks, etc) and we have to make due with the leftovers.

More staff. There are some hats that shouldn't be shared.

It could be a lot better than it is

Former Employee - Customer Care Operator  in  Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Operator in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Kastle Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some really knowledgeable, dedicated, and driven employees at this company who will bend over backward to make sure that customers and fellow employees get the help they deserve.

Cons

Those employees I talked about in the PROS section? They are seriously outnumbered by the egomaniacs, drama queens, and do-nothing nobodies that companies like this seems to attract. Overall the company has decided that the bottom line is far more important than its customers or employees. Call center operators average a measly $12 an hour, far below average for other security call centers. Communication between teams and departments is non-existent, with procedures and policies changing on an almost daily basis with little to no warning from management. If you desperately need a job, and Kastle comes calling, it's better than nothing. Make sure you keep your resume active, though, because you don't want to stay for any real length of time.

If you want to reverse your trip down the spiral, you should start doing a number of things. First of all, listen to the employees that actually interact with customers on a daily basis. They know more than you do what your companies want. Second, pay your employees more than you do now, as it is insulting to the hard working people. Third, ditch the shift bids and schedule employees like every other company does.

It's like boot camp for the corporate world.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Kastle Systems

Pros

Learn how a company should and shouldn't operate.
    Gain entry level experience.
    Gain technical knowledge of security

Cons

Under paid and unappreciated.
    No real formal training. It's trail by fire.
    No room for advancement.

If you really want to make this your legacy, invest in the people, not in your horrible half baked ideas.

When Kastle come calling, run FAST!

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Kastle Systems

Pros

The people/lower-levels within the organization are good-natured, genuinely kind and work hard.

Cons

C-Levels could care less about anyone but themselves. No raises. Pay is below industry standards. No professional HR function. No training. No 401K matching. Just awful.

It's unfortunate that I am faced to write this review. While I enjoyed working with my peers and clients, the atmosphere that the CEO, CFO, and VPs created was sub par. Do they care about the clients and their needs? No. Do they care about the employees and their needs? No. Do they care about the company operating in a morally acceptable way? No. What do they care about? Maintaining their flashy lifestyles, fancy homes and million dollar bank accounts while they only pay the phone operators a whopping $10 an hour. Terrible to say the least.

Maybe try to care about your employees rather than making that extra dollar.

Find another job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Kastle Systems

Pros

- if you need a job

Cons

-employees aren't appreciated, the company has the attitude that everyone is replaceable
    -bad benefits
    -low pay
    -poor leadership in managers

Stop acting like your employees aren't important, offer more opportunity for advancement and offer more challenges! Give people a reason to WANT to stay. If you haven't noticed, nobody wants to stay at Kastle, they're just there because they don't have a better option--yet.

Worked for Kastle Systems? Contribute to the Community!