Katy ISD

Lenord Merrell

Great People All Around

Former Employee - Middle School Teacher in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Middle School Teacher in Katy, TX

I worked at Katy ISD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Teaching in this district was wonderful and staff members are treated fairly and with respect. Worked in a middle school and had wonderful experience with principal, asst. principals, team, department, grade level, etc. Little things come up here-and-there and of course there are always some disgruntled employees who are unhappy with the current system, but overall I enjoyed my experience. Left because we moved out of state.

Cons

It can get overwhelming with the tremendous amount of growth in the area. Middle school of grade levels 6/7/8 had roughly 2,000 students, which made the hallways and the classrooms cramped at times. But this is the nature of the K12-Education-beast though, in one of the fastest growing cities (and in one of the fastest growing states) in America.

Keep doing what you're doing - thank you for valuing your staff members enough to train them during the school year... please don't cut that out amid the budget cuts!

PARA

I have been working at Katy ISD full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Days off during the summer and holidays off.

Cons

Salary could be deceiving. They add work load but same paycheck.

explanation of salary based payment to paras once they start after august. No one explained my salary would be less than what it was explained, now my salary is avgd as about $8 an hr for a full time job. I was making that same avgd amount when i worked PART TIME. Ridiculous. No one explained i Had to figure it out myself.

Loved the people and environment

Former Employee - IT Field Engineer in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - IT Field Engineer in Katy, TX

I worked at Katy ISD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing employees, positive environment, steady work, stable company.

Cons

no advancement, salary was sub par.

Give people incentive to move up and do a better job for a raise.

Poor leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Katy, TX

I worked at Katy ISD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Just like any district, you will find kind people who can help if you seek them out. It's also well respected, so if you can hang in there for a bit you will build your resume.

Cons

There are administrators who are bullies on power trips. They delighted in pushing others down and would fabricate information to make employees look bad. I was given very little training on my actual job role, but made to sit through hours of pd that didn't apply to me in the slightest. The work load was out of control. I was working late at night, every weekend, and through every lunch. Needless to say, compensation didn't match the effort. There was also no appreciation for hard work. That said, things vary from role to role, campus to campus. Make sure to interview them back about work culture for your role of interest.

Keep a closer eye on your administrators, treat employees fairly and with respect, stop dumping responsibilities on the "low person on the totem pole."

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Teacher in Katy, TX

I worked at Katy ISD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I had a great experience at Katy ISD.

Cons

There were no cons to working in Katy.

Great place to teach

Former Employee - Teacher in Katy, TX

I worked at Katy ISD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Teaching in Katy ISD is a wonderful experience.

Cons

There are no cons to teaching in Katy ISD

A rewarding job that it not to be taken lightly.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Katy, TX

I have been working at Katy ISD full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a great district with wonderful kids and supportive staff. I have never had a day where I couldn't find a job, and I have only encountered one school to which I will not be returning (due to the ineptitude of the special education teachers).

Cons

Little to no opportunities for summer work, or for a consistent paycheck due to school holidays and half days. Also, there is no guarantee that the teacher you are supping for left you with any prepared materials, instructions, or forms, so you have to think and work quick on your feet, and be flexible/adaptable.

Please, make sure each teacher has some kind of sub folder filled out and available in the classroom. Too many teachers have either mostly empty ones or none at all. Also, please provide some sort of special needs training course during orientation or during the year to help us be more helpful in the classroom.

Mixed bag

Current Employee - Middle School Teacher in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Middle School Teacher in Katy, TX

I have been working at Katy ISD full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fair class sizes, great relationship with principal, decent pay.

Cons

No push for teachers to lead or grow, we're just bodies in the rooms. Health insurance is awful - you can do better on the health insurance exchange. The district is split by I-10, and as another reviewer noted, administrators at the district level see it as a level playing field. But when so many of the resources (technology, volunteers) come from PTAs, there is a tremendous split between what Cinco Ranch area schools have and can do and the limits of Title I campuses.

Those who work in the ESC and make decisions seem extremely disconnected with what happens and what is needed in the Title I schools.

I am a high school teacher in a good district..

I have been working at Katy ISD

Pros

THe pay is really not too bad.

Cons

The hours can be really long, then the pay is not too good.

Looking for Cookie Cutter teachers instead of innovators.

Current Employee - Teacher in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Katy, TX

I have been working at Katy ISD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Technology- the district has money to spend on resources, Most (not all) schools are higher income families

Cons

hours, not a lot of room for over-achievers, not enough support with the resources provided. Upper Management thinks all parts of Katy are the same-- even the Title 1 side.

Let your teachers spread their wings. They are better than you allow them to be.