Katz, Sapper & Miller, LLP Reviews

1. One of the best places i have ever worked

Former Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Katz, Sapper & Miller, LLP full-time

Pros

The people i worked with genuinely cared about my career and me as a person. Company is still relatively small, so your voice can still be heard and you can have an impact on,the firm. ESOP made me feel like a real owner.

Cons

Work can be grueling, especially during busy season.

Great snacks (KSM Consulting)

Former Employee - Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Katz, Sapper & Miller, LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very hands-off management style with a very nice open work space. Free snacks and beverages in the kitchen. The practice is split into two groups (the Business consulting group and IT Services. Business consulting is a professional and knowledgeable group.

Cons

IT services on the other hand can not be described the same. IT Services looks and acts and dresses like a group of college drop outs. The leadership team is disorganized nor are they competent IT practitioners. The lack of maturity in the leadership team is reflected in the work product and in the way the IT Service practice conducts themselves as a whole.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Realize that the cliquish work environment does not foster productivity nor will it help build a competent Services group.

KSM Consulting- Skeptical of Business Practice

I worked at Katz, Sapper & Miller, LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent, most coworkers at my level were very sharp.

Cons

At first I was very excited to take a job at KSMC, as I was offered a variety of experiences in addition to professional growth. What I got was the exact opposite. One client experience, no manager-level concern for professional improvement, and a culture of favoritism that poisons the company from the inside. Frankly, I have never worked for a company so ingrained in its own politics. The managing director has managed to develop a business that is entirely inclusive to sycophants, which indicates his desire for control. A year long attempt at scaling the business had failed, leading to the resignation of CFOs, Admins, and normal consultants (myself). The management team is extremely selective in regards to information shared with the rest of the company, which had made me extremely skeptical of the business practices as a whole. They preach a "not a 9-5 business" that scores "ever-changing, interesting projects." However, if you aren't in the inner circle, prepare to be dumped to a cash-cow state contract in a project where poor performance isn't disciplined. I never again want to be part of a business where revenue relies on exploiting clients who aren't intelligent enough to realize the endless churn of "crises" is easy $$ for the company managing it. Time and time again I tried expressing my concerns, asking for advice and new ventures to take part of. I was met with vague plans that turned out to be complete lies. Finally, upon turning in my resignation, I was met with a disappointing lack of professionalism. Not a single exit interview was scheduled (I received the "silent treatment" from my managing director, who previously told me that he "wanted to hear every concern" and would "keep [me] because [I] was a valuable asset." My manager didn't even shake my hand -- after 1.5 years of dedication to his project alone. Leaving this company was the best thing I could do for my career.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees Get rid of the "head-nodding" culture Be more transparent Don't arbitrarily take bonuses Fulfill promises

5. I worked specifically with KSM Consulting and mostly enjoyed the collegial atmosphere at the practice.

Current Employee - Management Consultant Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Management Consultant Intern in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Great people to work with. Very down to earth and willing to offer help on any task assigned. Very open workspace, with managers and analysts working in close proximity Benefits are great.

Cons

Consulting practice is still quite young so it may not be the best place for someone who is looking to 'rise up' the firm.

Advice to Management

Perhaps could do well with a more diverse workforce in the near future.

6. Consistently...one of the best places to work.

I have been working at Katz, Sapper & Miller, LLP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am one of several hundred employees. And like my fellow employees, I have voted to make KSM one of the Best Places to Work in Indiana for the past 10 years. This speaks volumes of the culture at KSM.

Cons

Not all individuals are accustomed to the fast-paced environment of public accounting and thus may not thrive.

Advice to Management

The leaders of this firm foster an environment in which employees are challenged aid in the growth and success of the firm.

7. What You Really Should Know....THIS PLACE IS FANTASTIC!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

I came from another firm and I certainly hope that employees know and understand how special the Katz environment really is. While they work hard to provide great amenities such as a cafe with free food, busy season meals, the ability to provide service to the community and wonderful other perks, that is not what is most important. What is most important is that leaders, directors, partners, and others., have an open door policy and treat you as a human being - not as just a worker. No firm is perfect; but any flaws are more than made up by the continual asks for feedback. Leadership (including Directors, Partners, Human Resources, Chief Operations Officer, Managing Partner, and others) really want to improve.

Cons

Nothing. This is public accounting and everyone should know about the hours commitment and the continual work-life struggle. This is not a Katz issue, this is an industry issue. Believe me, I worked many more hours in a much worse culture where I came from. Katz does its best at making the environment very special.

Advice to Management

When you're a firm of this size, you will always have detractors. I believe these are just the jealous people who, for whatever reason, couldn't cut it and now want to lash out as it makes them feel good. Don't listen to it. Katz is THE BEST PLACE TO WORK - PERIOD. Again, I've worked in other CPA firms - THIS PLACE IS FANTASTIC.

Avoid - Partners for Partners!!

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Great offices, good client list with challenging work. Access to clients is pretty decent and opportunities for growth is fair if you are among the chosen few.

Cons

Zero feedback other than during annual review - which are rarely timely. Access to Partners is limited as they are rarely around other than during busy season - busy playing golf and vacationing during off season. Regular abuse of firm assets such as event tickets - rather than client entertainment - generally used for family or date night. Not unusual to see Partners entertaining friends and family at the expense of the firm - they treat funds as if it is their own bank account! Would prefer to see excess pushed back into the firm and/or salaries/bonuses for those of us who make the Partners look good and help keep their salaries high.

Advice to Management

Partners live in their own world. May be beneficial to provide some sensitivity training and develop ongoing systems for timely feedback to staff. Also might recommend managing Partner's beliefs that they can do anything just because they are a Partner - the firm is an ESOP - we all own some of the firm - and, without the team, you may not be able to continue to pay yourselves so much. Treat us like we are valuable - not just a the few who stroke your ego.

avoid.

I worked at Katz, Sapper & Miller, LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They feed you well during tax season.

Cons

If you like micromanagement this is the place for you! Business is very silo oriented and people don't share much information. Not a fun place to work at all!

Very little formal training, weak management and little sense of being a valued member of the team.

I have been working at Katz, Sapper & Miller, LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Comp is respectable. Participate in charitable causes within the community.

Cons

Partners on pedestals while others work goes mostly unappreciated. Not an upbeat office atmosphere. Ask lot's of questions before you accept a job there and get their expectations in writing rather than relying on vague interpretations from management.

Advice to Management

Hire outside consultants to identify your areas of improvement. There are plenty of things to work on. Then implement their suggestions.

Trust me I am a Partner.....

Former Employee - Senior Management in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Katz, Sapper & Miller, LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Branding works but not supported by actions

Cons

Manipulative smart people. Partners will do anything to keep their $500k plus salaries.

Advice to Management

Truth will set you free

RSS Feed </> Embed