Kauffman Tire Inc

Updated February 14, 2015
Updated February 14, 2015
2.8

Mark Kauffman

could be a lot better, good for beginners-bad for experienced.

Current Employee - Auto Technician (Tech III) in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Auto Technician (Tech III) in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kauffman Tire Inc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I feel that this company has a better than average benefit plan. And their facilities are new & modern. I feel that it is a great place for in-experienced workers to break into auto biz. with above minimum wage pay. However...

Cons

I believe that I could achieve so much more if this company would let me. And I know my counterparts (tech 3- senior techs} feel the same way! I feel that corporate & management "strong arms" its technicians with many of its policies. Its their way or the highway mentality. I've literally been in the auto repair business all my life, & these folks treat my knowledge and experience as if it's nothing. I've never worked for a company where as my managers didn't know as much or more as I did of automotive. My managers tell what to to do & how long it should take, but couldn't fix a sandwich! An idea or suggestion on my part is ignored and to be ask my opinion is unheard of. I just feel my talent is being wasted.
     Hourly only-bonus is non-existence. My hourly rate is lower than any flat -rate wage I've ever earned by several dollars. You will get 40 hours, maybe 2 OT, but that' its ... so consider that if you interview! Its a steady pay-check at best.
     6:45 Saturday morning "company meeting" every week... I'm still scratching my head...for what? Polyester uniform shirts- no exceptions. In August when it s 90+ degrees with 90+ humidity...Really?

I think your aloof & dictatorial style hurts your business. We could earn a lot more if you would listen to us. (NO YOU ARE NOT) This why you have high turn over & are advertising on every employment website in existence. Maybe try to RETAIN employee's instead of REPLACE them! You have a good thing, but there's plenty of room for improvement. P.S. You are NOT the Chick-Filet of the auto business for this reason.

Dec 9, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for the feedback, both positive and negative! We value our employees tremendously and are constantly looking for ways to improve.

No direction.

Former Employee - Support Center
    Former Employee - Support Center

I worked at Kauffman Tire Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable work week hours. That's about it.

Cons

There never seemed to be a real plan for anything. Business had gradually eteriorated and there was no planned pathway to get it back on track. Just quick fixes for the moment. Which end up making things worse. I don't think the owner knows how to map out an integrated long term plan.

As long as the owner only attempts short term fixes for everything there's little hope for long term improvement. Quit flying by the seat of your pants.

Prepare to be bulldogged while Big Brother listens.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Kauffman Tire Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, and more OT than you'll ever want. Seriously, you're not seeing your friends/family until Sunday. Great, but extremely short, training. Not a bad job if you get placed in an already great store.

Cons

Sales -- Again, was hired with zero car knowledge, yet my training was barely three days (when it used to be an entire week). Stores that exist in high traffic areas obviously do extremely well, yet those in low traffic/high competition areas struggle for most of the year. Prepare to be bombarded with weekly, if not daily, accusations that you aren't doing your job when your numbers do not match their projections for your store. Store/Assistant Managers are stretched to their limits between surprise store visits, daily phone calls, and the fact that every single customer phone call is recorded and sent directly to corporate.
         Remember that crafty customer from yesterday that tried to whittle you down below cost and then backed out when you refused to lose the store money? Well today you're getting a harsh phone call from upper management because you didn't close the deal. Or maybe you did make that deal, but now you're being chewed out for losing money. Either way you'll lose. If you strike out enough on the phone, you'll be called in for a special meeting where your phone calls are played in front of your peers, while upper management belittles you in front of everyone. Other meetings consist of the high management going on and on about the time they gave a poor family four tires for $50 total, but then five minutes later they will verbally slap you around for not selling someone premium tires or for giving a loyal customer a special discount.
          Corporate will cherry pick and look after their favorite managers, even in lower income stores, no matter how bad they are. Even if they shave down your hours, and constantly stab you in the back. And they never listen to you, once they decide you are the "problem. I spent about 10min explaining to him that our consecutive low numbers were due to the fact that we were stuck in the middle of two of the highest grossing stores in the entire district. I gave them some ideas on how we could fix the issues and after my speech, they looked absolutely dumbfounded. Then they quickly rebounded and spat out the same non-sense again. I put in my two weeks notice the next day and never regretted it.
          Lastly, Kauffman Tire has done some very shady things in the past. Including finding ways to legally get rid of injured workers that are still trying to make an honest paycheck. The worst happened a few years ago, when they decided to close several stores right at Christmas time with literally no warning! Tech hands, managers, and sales clerks a like showed up that morning to several semi-trucks parked in front of their store as they loaded up their inventory. The “lucky” employees were sent to other stores, some almost two hours away from their current location. Others were just let go all together, and had to go how at Christmas without a pay check or job.
          In summation, if you want a decent paying job with a limited future, this might be the job for you. You'll need a fair amount of sales experience and car knowledge regardless of what someone tells you. Don't expect to see your friends or family at all, and holiday traveling is completely our of the question anywhere even close to high selling months. Be prepared to have your integrity constantly questioned the moment your store's numbers are up to par, and never forget that Big Brother is monitoring all of your phone calls. RUN!

Stop your bulldog tactics and constant screening of calls. This all adds far too much unneeded stress to an already stressful work environment. Take better care of your tech hands! Find a way to get them a bigger percentage of their work projects, because they are why you're still in business. Finally, get rid of that ridiculous yearly company retreat that's just for corporate and managers. You wine and dine yourselves in a fancy hotel, while leaving the rest out (and it's not even that good of a party). How about an old fashioned company family picnic day? A few cheap hotdogs makes you feel far more appreciated than knowing that your bosses are out getting drunk.

Your days are numbered from day 1

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellenwood, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellenwood, GA

I worked at Kauffman Tire Inc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Paid weekly. Training is good. You can use it after you leave to take their customers.

Cons

From the day you start your days are numbered. I started as a wholesale driver which was good at first and then when you are doing ok management gives you some lame excuse about how its slow and full time is 32 hours a week. Then you are back on the bottom again. Then moved into inside phone sales which was even worse. I watched a lot of good hard working people who gave 110% to this company only to be demoted or worse, Just let go with no explanation. People who had been there for years. Just some lame excuse. This place is notorious for letting good employees go. A friend of mine at the Ga Dept of Labor said they are well known for it. Like top 20 company in Ga. It will happen. Its like No-one gets out alive. I just up and quit and when I started a new tire company I could not believe how many of their wholesale customers actually dislike this company and their management. I am glad I left and have no intention of ever going back.

Nothing really to say. Stop with the excuses already. Kauffman tire is well known for it in the wholesale market.

Dec 15, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate all feedback and wish you the best in any future endeavors!

Disappointed

I worked at Kauffman Tire Inc full-time

Pros

Worked with a lot of great people. They carry a lot of major brand tires to sell. Very nice facilities.

Cons

No consistency whatsoever. There's a different plan every week. Very little employee recognition, other than management. Instead of being an industry leader. They are an industry follower. They spend a lot of time and effort trying to be like "the other guys".

Managing through fear and threats can work. But it kills moral and there will always be a revolving door for your employee's. Your employee's should work hard for you because they want to give you their best. Not because they are afraid you are going to fire them. Give more praise to non-management employee's, show more appreciation.
    More and more of your customer's are buying from Kauffman as a last resort or because they have no other option. Less are buying because they want to buy from Kauffman. I guess that's a result of increasing prices and decreasing service.
    If you have a solid plan for growing and increasing your business, stick with it for more than a week. But remember not all markets are the same.
    "No more overtime at any location!". Cutting hours is understandable in business. But is it worth sacrificing customer service and employee moral at every location? If you have a location that is already short handed and you cut overtime for all hourly employee's. How do you plan on taking care of your customer's properly? Make non-hourly, non-management employee's work more? They can't do it all.

Kauffman use to be more unique and not so "corporate". It felt more like a family run business.

With all this being said, Kauffman is a good company with great potential.

Dec 9, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate the feedback but hate the disappointment. All suggestions are valued, thanks!

Restrained potential

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Kauffman Tire Inc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Difficult to come up with pros. There are a few good people in management. And those few work hard and have integrity.

Cons

Due to ownership that lacks many basic management skills the company struggles. Communication is poor. Other than the few good people in management roles, most executives are just 'yes' men. Ownership doesn't like to be questioned. Many good ideas are ignored. There seems to be a real lack of strategic direction.

Perhaps take some courses to develop your leadership and management skills. Learn how to communicate. Learn how to develop and motivate people. Develop a detailed long term strategy and plan.

Dec 9, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Our people are our strongest asset and greatly esteemed, many thanks for the advice.

More than the Job Title

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Roswell, GA

I have been working at Kauffman Tire Inc full-time

Pros

Great people to work with, good environment. Automotive business as it stands is busy, but you always have Sundays off.

Cons

I can't save overtime to be a con, because who does not want to make more money. Con would be that depending upon the promotion going on you might not get a day off during the week. More labor hours than you think go into working as well.

Dec 9, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

We strive to be the best employer with the best environment, thanks.

Driver

Former Employee - Driver in Ellenwood, GA
    Former Employee - Driver in Ellenwood, GA

I worked at Kauffman Tire Inc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Paid weekly. Saturdays off. The training is ok.

Cons

Poor bonus program. They are constantly changing the rules on you. They say and claim they are not making money and cannot give raises and then open new stores that don't do any business. Then claim they had a record year. They do not care about their employees. They treat you like a number. You are constantly ridden..It is a damned if you do,,damned if you don't job. I worked there for a few years only to be laid off for no reason. Management changes a lot. Everyone there stays nervous because they are always letting people go.

Stop hiding behind the economy. Treat your employees better. Get the Morale back up. Hire from within the company. Because all you will do is let the people you hired go.

Dec 9, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for the helpful points.

Working at Kauffman was unique experience for me but different from any place I have work at I enjoy the moment.

Former Employee - Swing Tech in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Swing Tech in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Kauffman Tire Inc full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They believe in family , when you have those kind of values its a pleasure to work for a company like that.

Cons

There is room for growth within the company you do get time to spend with the family during the holidays ,You do get compensated for awareness letting the customer know if there is something that should be taken care of.

Keep up the good work

Great to hear, thanks!

Family values with no glass ceiling to your career....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kauffman Tire Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You are not a number here. If you have good work ethic and drive you will be taken care of. I have been here for over a decade and have no regrets. If you want a particular job all you have to do is earn it. It always feels good to tell people where you work and not worry about others bad experiences. Benefits are best in the industry as well.

Cons

None really worth speaking of.

Always remember you have smart people around you. You hired them. Don't forget to ask the people in the trenches their thoughts.

Dec 9, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

One of the many reasons we favor promoting from within, our employees!

Kauffman Tire Inc Photos