Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck Reviews

2.2
Ivan J. Dolowich & Michael A. Kaufman

1. Great Place to Work and Grow A Career

Former Employee - Associate in Woodbury, NY

I worked at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

KDV is a great place to work. Period. The head of the insurance practice group, who is also the co-managing partner of the firm, is one of the best attorneys in his industry. Although he is a master of his trade, he always took the time to provide guidance and really listen and debate novel issues when they arose. The insurance practice group provides associates with autonomy and even junior associates are regularly tapped for input on overall strategy for the matters they handling maters. On top of that, the firm brings in high-level, challenging work. Of course, the firm expects its associates to work hard and produce good work product, but the firm rewards the hard work. I didn't join KDV straight out of school but I can honestly say that I became a lawyer at KDV.

As for the partners in the other groups, they are all really good people. I mean really good human beings. Their is no caste system and all the partners that I worked with treated the associates with respect and professionalism, just as they would treat their partners.

On top of being a great place to work and learn, it's also a fun place to work. And not just fun for a law firm, but genuinely fun. The attorneys and staff are more than just business colleagues. They are friends.

Unlike many firms in its industry, KDV is a true meritocracy. You will get out what you put in.

Cons

Other than the coffee, there is nothing bad about the firm.

This place is one of the worst law firms to work for- stay away

Former Employee - Attorney in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Attorney in New York, NY

I worked at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck

Pros

Some really nice people on the staff and some good lawyers trying to do the right thing.

Cons

They are many. But the real problem starts at the top. The name partners are a bunch of idiots obsessed with filling their own pockets at everyone else's expense.

Advice to Management

Grow up

Pass This Place Up

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck

Pros

Secretarial staff and professional peers are fine people; attorneys in the employment practices and professional liability practice groups are genuinely good folks at all levels; great view of the Pacific and the hills. No other positives.

Cons

You will enjoy working in the insurance coverage/bad faith practice group at KDV if:
    - you like to be demeaned by partners who don't care about you and don't appreciate that you are doing their work;
    - you like to work for people who lack management and leadership skills and care only about their egos;
    - you don't mind being micro-managed by partners who are usually not in the office and don't care to review your work in a timely manner; and
    - you are able to take strictly verbal instructions, do what is asked, then don't mind when the partners don't remember what they told you to do and tell you to do it all differently once they finally get around to reviewing your work 30 days later.
    These are only some of the issues. Best to look elsewhere, whatever they pay you isn't worth the aggravation.

Advice to Management

Get a clue, pay attention, fix the problem.

5. Good work, competitive salary, poor management

I worked at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck full-time

Pros

There is a collegial work environment among attorneys and support staff. There is also frequently interesting matters. The firm largely generates quality work product. For the area, the salary offered is decent.

Cons

Management can and does ignore workplace issues. HR is of little to no help in resolving or even addressing such issues. Issues are allowed to fester and without any remedy offered or conceived.

6. Top Notch Place to Work!

I worked at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck full-time

Pros

My experience at KDV was top notch. The partners in the Long Island Office's Labor and Employment Group are bright, skilled attorneys who are ready and willing to take associates under their wing to teach them the tools necessary (both practical legal skills and business acumen) to move up the ranks. The work environment is very collaborative and I always felt involved on the strategy and handling of the case from the day it came into the office and was assigned to me. Partners of course review work (their names are on the docket after all) but are always willing to sit down with you, point out why changes were made, and critique of work was always delivered in a constructive and meaningful way. The Chair of the L&E Group was like a mentor to me. He has an impressive book of business and a terrific relationship with those clients. However, he is not a partner that "protects" his clients and will give associates direct client contact and exposure - which can be tough to find at some firms. He makes known to his associates his offer to come on any meeting an associate can line up to try to bring in a new client to the Firm (and will of course give the associate the credit for that client). To top it off, KDV is a fun work environment with nice people to spend your work days with. In the time I worked there, I never heard any offensive or inappropriate comments, as some reviewers have suggested, and I find it hard to believe that occurred. For young attorneys who are hard working and eager to grow their career, this is a terrific place to get groomed and stay. I only left to go to take a position out of the law firm arena, and when I need to retain outside counsel, KDV will be my first call.

Cons

There is little I can say about KDV that was not positive.

7. Great place to work

I have been working at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leadership. Management really cares. Fantastic work life balance.

Cons

Improve on mentoring. Other than that great Firm!

Toxic Work Environment. Hostile, Abusive, and Demeaning Partners and Senior Associates. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!

Former Employee - Litigation Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Litigation Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The location. Sadly there are no other "Pros" to list.

Cons

Against my better judgment and the advice of numerous legal recruiters who've all dealt with this firm in the past I decided to accept their less than generous offer. Within a few short weeks I found out why they had such a terrible reputation within the legal community and why it was so well earned. This has to be one of the worst law firms to work for, if not the worst law firm in the greater Los Angeles area. To call this place a hell hole is putting it kindly. It is a constant revolving door of associates and assistants who quickly become disillusioned within a few short weeks of working there.

When you start you receive no training whatsoever, yet you are expected to know all of the firm's policies and procedures. It's a sink or swim environment set up to make you sink no matter how hard you try. To add to that most of the partners and senior associates fall into two categories. They're either abusive, hostile, and demeaning sociopaths who will spare no opportunity to berate you for failing to follow their ridiculously vague instructions or they're completely anti-social/passive aggressive. Regardless whenever a mistake is made rather than talk to the person privately and try to correct the problem they're quick to run to HR behind your back and begin building their case against you to have you fired.

There is a constant blame game going on at firm with partners blaming associates and assistants, associates blaming assistants and staff blaming each other for their own shortcomings. Lots of back biting and politics to say the least. Regardless of how hard you to try to appease your supervising partner you will be treated as if you're sub-human and constantly berated and abused. Once one of the partners or senior associates has a problem with you the abuse will continue until you either resign or are terminated.

If the abusive and toxic work environment wasn't enough, most of the partners and senior associates are either lazy, incompetent or both. They will never miss an opportunity to pawn off work to their assistants and paralegals, while billing the client for that work. While most firms have one or two difficult personalities, incompetent management, or bad staff members that they're not willing to let go. The Los Angeles office has all three.

To top it off they're extremely cheap. Their salaries are well below the market average. They also refuse to purchase any of the latest software such Legal Solutions, Adobe Pro, or Relativity. Instead they use obscure, obsolete software like Net Docs and Gaaiho which are time consuming and inefficient.

You've been warned. Do not make the same mistake that I did. STAY AWAY!!!

Advice to Management

There is no advice that I can give you. You are well aware of the problems at this office and within the firm in general. Yet you choose to turn a blind eye and continue to allow partners and senior associates to abuse both associates and staff so as long as they continue to bring in more clients and more money for you to line your pockets. You've already lost numerous talented hard working staff and associates and will continue to lose more.

Overworked and underpaid

Current Employee - Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Attorney in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck

Pros

There are none. Not even one.

Cons

KDV is a horrible employer. You do not want to work here! No one does.

Advice to Management

There is not enough time to give advice to this upper management

Agressively hostile and volatile partner management in certain units

Former Employee - Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Attorney in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent salary and location, some good attorneys.

Cons

Angry, volatile, out-of-control leadership in certain units; lack of direction from home office so long as unit is bringing in business. Unusual billing instructions, such as how to "disguise" time spent on summary judgment motion. Once you are on the "bad list" of the lady partner, rumored to be "friends" with the manager, you are dead meat.

Lousy place to work

Former Employee - Attorney
    Former Employee - Attorney

I worked at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some decent nice people in the rank and file. But upper managements behavior makes even that suffer.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin. The place is a revolving door for attorneys and staff who in general become completely disenfranchised within a few short months. The two "managers" are so disconnected from actually running the firm that it is falling apart in front of their eyes. To make matters worse their own legal skills are virtually non-existent. Not many worse places to work I am afraid.

Advice to Management

Grow up and treat people like you would like to be treated!

RSS Feed </> Embed