Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck Reviews

Ivan J. Dolowich & Michael A. Kaufman
1 Rating

1. Great Place to Work and Grow A Career

Former Employee - Associate in Woodbury, NY

I worked at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

KDV is a great place to work. Period. The head of the insurance practice group, who is also the co-managing partner of the firm, is one of the best attorneys in his industry. Although he is a master of his trade, he always took the time to provide guidance and really listen and debate novel issues when they arose. The insurance practice group provides associates with autonomy and even junior associates are regularly tapped for input on overall strategy for the matters they handling maters. On top of that, the firm brings in high-level, challenging work. Of course, the firm expects its associates to work hard and produce good work product, but the firm rewards the hard work. I didn't join KDV straight out of school but I can honestly say that I became a lawyer at KDV. As for the partners in the other groups, they are all really good people. I mean really good human beings. Their is no caste system and all the partners that I worked with treated the associates with respect and professionalism, just as they would treat their partners. On top of being a great place to work and learn, it's also a fun place to work. And not just fun for a law firm, but genuinely fun. The attorneys and staff are more than just business colleagues. They are friends. Unlike many firms in its industry, KDV is a true meritocracy. You will get out what you put in.

Cons

Other than the coffee, there is nothing bad about the firm.

2. Top Notch Place to Work!

I worked at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck full-time

Pros

My experience at KDV was top notch. The partners in the Long Island Office's Labor and Employment Group are bright, skilled attorneys who are ready and willing to take associates under their wing to teach them the tools necessary (both practical legal skills and business acumen) to move up the ranks. The work environment is very collaborative and I always felt involved on the strategy and handling of the case from the day it came into the office and was assigned to me. Partners of course review work (their names are on the docket after all) but are always willing to sit down with you, point out why changes were made, and critique of work was always delivered in a constructive and meaningful way. The Chair of the L&E Group was like a mentor to me. He has an impressive book of business and a terrific relationship with those clients. However, he is not a partner that "protects" his clients and will give associates direct client contact and exposure - which can be tough to find at some firms. He makes known to his associates his offer to come on any meeting an associate can line up to try to bring in a new client to the Firm (and will of course give the associate the credit for that client). To top it off, KDV is a fun work environment with nice people to spend your work days with. In the time I worked there, I never heard any offensive or inappropriate comments, as some reviewers have suggested, and I find it hard to believe that occurred. For young attorneys who are hard working and eager to grow their career, this is a terrific place to get groomed and stay. I only left to go to take a position out of the law firm arena, and when I need to retain outside counsel, KDV will be my first call.

Cons

There is little I can say about KDV that was not positive.

They only care about money

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, NY

I worked at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Promotions were given internally first and most of the staff and associates are amazing to work with

Cons

Upper management really just doesn't care about anyone. Their only concern is filling their pockets. Its such a shame because they do have a good staff that they do not deserve. They do not address ANY HR issues you have, regardless of the situation, or how often you beg for resolution.

Advice to Management

If your calling yourself a managing partner, act like one.

RSS Feed </> Embed