Kaydon Reviews

James O'Leary

1. No career ladder.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muskegon, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muskegon, MI

I have been working at Kaydon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Since the IT staff is way too small to handle the backlog, it is unlikely I will be laid-off.

Cons

Management has stated there will NEVER be any levels between "pee on" and Director.

Listen to what your employees are saying. Admit you are not perfect.

2. Poor leadership after move from NC

Former Employee - Plant Manager in Longview Plant, SC
    Former Employee - Plant Manager in Longview Plant, SC

I worked at Kaydon

Pros

Nice building and offices thanks to previous occupants of the building.

Cons

Processes are not engineered to produce good parts. Employees are not trained to make good parts. Managers are not supported. HR does not exist.

Make your processes capable, train your employees and stop turning over managers.

3. Worst place I've ever worked

I worked at Kaydon

Pros

The salary was decent and the time off program was good.

Cons

Working environment is terrible - the people and the building. It is very old fashioned in every sense of the word. Managers live in the 1970's and 80's where everyone was not treated the same. People have worked there for 20-30 years and have no interest in changing with the times. There are holes in the roof that floods on a regular basis. It's a real safety hazard.

Clean house and start over or move to a different state. The leadership at the Baltimore plant has their head in the sand. They know how badly people are treated and do nothing about it. They wouldn't because they treat their own the same terrible way.

5. Unbelievable Experience

I worked at Kaydon

Pros

Cleanliness, Great working environment, business growth

Cons

Learning how to setup and run machines

6. Summer Intern, refused offer to come back full time

Current Intern - Design Engineer Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Current Intern - Design Engineer Intern in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kaydon as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Being a design engineer at Kaydon is not bad - you get to put your hands into a little bit of everything engineering related. You get to go to every training meeting, you are considered as an asset in projects, and you will learn a bunch. While it looks like a dump (and frankly, parts of it are), the equipment and techniques are state of the art. Furthermore, everyone is quite friendly.

Cons

I declined a position at Kaydon because I see myself being there for only 5 years - the job gets repetitive fast (Rings and Seals are only so interesting for so long) and there is no room to grow. Also, I understood that raises are miniscule at best and the company is beginning to stagnate.

Improve the company's value, not only the bottom line. This means putting more money into research, fixing the money holes in the plant's roof, and, in general, doing what Koppers used to do.

7. Regional Sales Manager

Former Employee - RSM
    Former Employee - RSM

I worked at Kaydon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good people, great products, solid company that is heavily involved in military and wind energy farms, not your typical bearing company. High tech, high accuracy, solid products..

Cons

Travel is plentiful, niche product results in major economic swings, feast or famine, rotating upper management personal has caused some issues in compensation, ie paying out bonuses due for targeted sales campaign..

Work you to death with little to no support to get the job done!

Current Employee - Engineer in Sumter, SC

I have been working at Kaydon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people on the shop floor are great, but only if you can earn their respect.

Cons

No support from upper management. The company is cheap and does not want to pay fair market value for good employees. They allow continue to allow incompetent employees to stay and to continue making mistakes. They do not believe in promoting within either.

I would suggest you start looking at your current employees for help on solving your issues. Bearing knowledge does not come easy and it has been proven time and time again that it is very difficult for outsiders with no prior bearing experience to be successful at Kaydon. I have seen a Material Science Engineer with a masters degree and a Aerospace Engineer with a masters degree both fail miserably and have zero success at Kaydon. One lasted a year and the other only 4 months before they left.

9. No Career Path

Current Employee - Information Technology
    Current Employee - Information Technology

I have been working at Kaydon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Low stress. Low demands. Very few rules. Boss only micro-manages areas he thinks he is good at. Let’s me manage areas he doesn’t understand. Short drive to work.

Cons

Ancient technology. No opportunity for promotion. Infrequent and lousy raises and bonuses. Arrogant and condescending leadership. No contact with human resources.

Listen to your employees. Just because they earn a fraction of your salary does not mean they are stupid.

10. OK for the arorspace type of employee.

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Muskegon, MI
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Muskegon, MI

I worked at Kaydon full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Out of Automotive but old .

Cons

Poor train system that were old.

Need new system to operate business.

11. An extremely challenging environment

Current Employee - Engineer in Sumter, SC

I have been working at Kaydon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It will challenge you to the nth degree. It gives you the opportunity to do some good meaningful work and to learn a lot of stuff

Cons

Not a lot of support from upper management at times, overwhelmed the majority of the time, and you are expected to put in a lot of hours and work weekends

Allow your support staff to do their jobs