Kaye/Bassman

Jeff Kaye

Educational

Former Employee - Project Consultant in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Project Consultant in Plano, TX

I worked at Kaye/Bassman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Culture, training, employee engagement and activities

Cons

low pay, long hours, unexamined heiarchy

make sure searches are solid

If you want a telecommunications job, want to work long hours, and in charge of your own salary then this is for you!

Former Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Kaye/Bassman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Office is very motivating and motivated, great senior staff. Open door policy, everyone willing to help and give advice.

Cons

It's in Plano, you MUST complete at least 4 hrs of phone time per day. It is a cubicle job, don't let being a "recruiter" fool you into thinking anything is face to face. Be careful of what "team" you choose as they are all different and run VERY differently.

Great!

I have been working at Kaye/Bassman full-time

Pros

you can grow your career if you have the drive and passion

Cons

Sometimes you have to work with difficult people in order to succeed.

keep up the good work

No Six Figure Silver Platter Here, But...

Current Employee - Search Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Search Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Kaye/Bassman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training - one reviewer wrote "I recruited for 2+ years before starting at KBIC and I could truly say that it wasn't until KBIC that I learned how to recruit." It's a shame they quit after learning to recruit. @ KBIC you receive an opportunity to succeed in exact proportion to your desire and drive to succeed. You can start your own business with very little investment compared to potential ROI.

Cons

Working at KBIC will force you to face and deal with any obstacles that are keeping you from being as successful as you would like to be. The biggest obstacle is YOU. @ KBIC, like real life, you cannot cheat the system long term and somehow get paid more than the market value of the services that you provide.

Continuous Improvement - Keep doing what you are doing - always working to get better personally and constantly working to improve the opportunity for others.

Culture of transparency - Continue to pull back the curtain on what people have done to become successful, it inspires belief, confidence, and the necessary long-term commitment.

Continuous Training - Just like pro athletes practice in the off season and between games - excellent training enables you to continue to improve the skills needed to succeed.

Accountability environment - Continue to focus on reminding everyone that everyone ALWAYS has a choice - You can take 100% responsibility for your own success and use the tools and resources provided wisely OR you can choose to squander the opportunity and blame everything but yourself for your failure

Great training, but horrible place to work...

Former Employee - Search Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Kaye/Bassman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Their training program is second to none. They literally wrote the book on recruiting. When I was there, training lasted 6 weeks and it was 6 of the most miserable weeks of my life. Think of it as a recruiting boot camp. They are trying to weed out the weak. I recruited for 2+ years before starting at KBIC and I could truly say that it wasn't until KBIC that I learned how to recruit.

Cons

No one makes a lot of money their first year and few will make enough to even make ends meat, so don't believe their lies and sales pitches. If you're good, you may start to make some money by your 3rd year. Aside from the money, or lack there of... Think of the worst micromanagement that you have worked under or heard about and times that by 25. That's KBIC.

They paint a pretty picture of how awesome they are and how much money you'll make. Neither are true from my experience. No one makes a lot of money their first year and few will make enough to even make ends meat, so don't believe their lies and sales pitches. If you're good, you may start to make some money by your 3rd year. It takes that long to pay them back. That's right pay them back. You pay your own salary, for your own resources, business cards, convention expenses, KBIC shirts, jean Fridays, everything. They basically give you a computer and turn the lights on for you. Everything else is on your dime. That's why it takes so long to make a buck. You're in debt to them and it just keeps adding up the longer you're there.

Aside from the money, or lack there of... Think of the worst micromanagement that you have worked under or heard about and times that by 25. That's KBIC. Every person that has an office with a window thinks they run the joint and they will be sure to let everyone else know they do. You will have 25 micromanaging people with little man syndrome breathing down your neck every second of everyday. It never stops. If you're not following their structure to a T... they get on to you. If you're doing everything they ask, but just have some bad luck... they get on to you. If you're a top biller and you're making them all rich... they get on to you to work harder and tell you you're not hitting your full potential. And they do all of this publicly and for everyone to see. That's their culture they're are so proud of. They call it accountability, but they need to get a dictionary and learn what accountability really means. Publicly degrading employees is not accountability, it's wrong and it's your life if you go to work there.

Very political and controlling environment

Former Employee - Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I worked at Kaye/Bassman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits a good and they could have a great environment with changes in how they manage their staff

Cons

Partners have too much power you can be great producer and have a very bad partner to report to and they can ruin your career

Upper management should be more involved in an employees performance and not let others walk on those that are doing a good job and are committed to the company

I worked there for 4 years, then left for a different recruiting firm

Former Employee - Search Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Kaye/Bassman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I will always be glad I joined KBIC and the recruiting industry. I received training and mentoring from some of the very best in the business. I view it as a graduate degree plus residency training in recruiting and I am grateful for the education. I loved that my paycheck was the result of algebra, with no upper limit. Most of the people are truly wonderful and interesting human beings. I left abruptly when I got a great offer from another recruiting firm, but KBIC paid me residual commissions owed to me based on cash that my clients paid to KBIC after my employment ended, in compliance with my contract with KBIC. I was impressed by this payment following my last day of employment.

Cons

Many people hired won't make it past six weeks, then even more people won't make it past six months. Much of this falloff is due to failure of the individual to work as hard it takes to really learn recruiting, but some attrition is due to bad luck. If you make it past six months, you will likely be a recruiter for life.

Protect employees from the bad behavior of the partners. In the past, if a partner was a big biller, they could act with impunity. That has changed mostly, but still can occur. Generally management's heart is in the right place, but newer employees can be vulnerable.

Great Starting Place For Your Career

Current Employee - Project Cunsultant in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Project Cunsultant in Plano, TX

I have been working at Kaye/Bassman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get freedom to work when/how you want after you have demonstrated your ability to take the lead.

Cons

It's rare that someone experiences the level of success they anticipate in their first year. KBIC's model is for a person to learn a focused niche. You can't do that in a short amount of time.

Management is relative to each practice. There are different Managers in each practice. Some are good and others are great.

Really enjoy seeing my growth

Current Employee - Project Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Kaye/Bassman full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ability to grow, great culture, fun environment, hard work is rewarded

Cons

Lots of hours in the beginning but it gets easier and you get more effective

Keep doing what you're doing by motivating a rewarding the team!

I worked at KBIC for 6 months.

I worked at Kaye/Bassman full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good training for those that are new to recruiting.

Cons

Your phone logs are scrutinized every day and you will get in trouble if you literally have 2 minutes between a phone call.
    Phone time is the most important metric at this company
    Turnover is extremely high
    No base salary - you are paid on a draw.