Kean University Reviews

Updated February 17, 2015
26 reviews filtered by
3.9
CEO

1. Kean is an supportive environment.

Current Employee - Academic Specialist in Union, NJ
    Current Employee - Academic Specialist in Union, NJ

I have been working at Kean University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment to work in great place to learn.

Cons

You are always expected to do you best

2. Academic Advisor

Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Union, NJ
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Union, NJ

I have been working at Kean University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great way to network and find professors that need help on a project. Flexible hours.

Cons

HR is extremely strict about not working more than 15 hours a week. Other than that, there are no cons.

Advice to Management

Increase weekly hours.

3. great place to work

I worked at Kean University

Pros

great working environment for a student

Cons

a little tedious work life

5. Academic Specialist

Current Employee - Academic Specialist
    Current Employee - Academic Specialist

I have been working at Kean University

Pros

Great flexibility and meaningful work.

Cons

no benefits given to Academic Specialists.

Advice to Management

have Academic Specialists receive benefits.

6. Great university

I have been working at Kean University

Pros

Great campus community, learning and involvement opportunities. Flexibility for part-time employees.

Cons

Under appreciated - where I should get paid more based on my completion of responsibilities/duties at limited part-time hours (maybe it depends on department and departmental budget).

7. Not too bad

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Kean University as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of great people
    You can learn a lot in the environment

Cons

sometimes checks are late
    some leadership needs to change

Advice to Management

Create a company culture.

Okay at first; sporadically got worse

Former Employee - Academic Specialist in Hillside, NJ
    Former Employee - Academic Specialist in Hillside, NJ

I worked at Kean University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment with friendly and helpful coworkers. Semi-flexible schedule. Free on campus gym membership. Faculty/Staff parking. Able to attend on campus daily/weekly/monthly events. Free food/drinks left over at end of events.

Cons

You're forced to work at least three days a week since Academic Specialist don't get paid for working eight hours in a day (maximum of 15 hours/week). You can't make up hours from a previous week. No benefits. No promise of becoming full time if you're interested. No guarantee of continued work when your "contract" is up. Some Academic Specialist's (like myself) are hired to work in a job that's meant to be full time. Also, the seriousness of some of the work Academic Specialist do can have big consequences. I was in a serious part-time position and the work I did impacted many students. I think Kean hired Academic Specialist to test out how much hours are needed to fulfill a specific job function in a department. Academic Specialists are hired on a "project-based" assignment contributing their skills and abilities for a short time period and their job shouldn't be treated as if it were a full time job. It was continuously and very overwhelming and frustrating to manage my workload in the hours given, regardless of how efficient or effective I was with my work. I felt bad when I usually didn't have the time to finish something and it had a negative impact on students. I assessed this early on and pushed and worked harder to provide data to substantiate good reason to make my position full time. I asked and was told time to time that it would happen, but down to the end they made budget excuses.

Advice to Management

Understand an adhere to the needs of a job and take action to facilitate the work process. If you know a full time job is needed to help then make it happen. Listen to your employees and meet their needs to coincide with yours. Treat your employees with fairness and respect. Also, coach, mentor, and stick up for them when they need you. If a full time job with real pay and benefits can be made, do it. Don't lead them on or beat around the bush. Be more assertive and aggressive in your request to your boss about the serious circumstances currently going on with a position and the need to change it so their are less losses. You lose good hard working people when you belittle them and treat them like they're easily replaceable.

9. Overall, my experience at Kean University has been very enlightening but also very difficult.

I worked at Kean University

Pros

The pros of working here include getting a steady salary, great coworkers, very flexible hours as a student, many opportunities, and dedicated staff members.

Cons

The cons of working here are not having a great organizational system, the chain of command is not followed as much as it should be, there are many inconsistencies within the company, and quite difficult for any career advancement.

Advice to Management

As long as the directives/rules follow through to the right chain of command, all the way down to the student staff members, then working should be a more pleasant experience for everyone, given the appropriate amount of training and display of consequences if one were to break those rules/directives.

10. It was a great experience I've been employed here for three years and it was such a learning experience.

Current Employee - Frontend Receptionist in Union, NJ
    Current Employee - Frontend Receptionist in Union, NJ

I have been working at Kean University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to apply my communication skills by communicating to patients and staff members. Also, I had a chance to grown within the company and now I help train new student employees.

Cons

As a student employee, you can't work more than 20 hours even during the summer.

Advice to Management

There is personal growth within the company. I took on more responsibilities each semester.

11. Kean's heart is in the right place. They offer many affordable programs to attract a diverse student body.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Union, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Union, NJ

I have been working at Kean University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful, convenient location accessible by public transportation.

Cons

Compensation is shockingly low, professional development is non-existent, work hard and play nice is not a concept here.

Advice to Management

Take the right steps to attract and retain visionary leaders to challenge and motivate staff, and who create a culture of collaboration, teamwork and a commitment to excellence.