Keane

Keane Reviews

Updated Mar 28, 2014

Keane President & CEO John McCain

John McCain

Pros:
  • "Onsite opportunity is good if employee stays more than 3 years"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Flexible, excellent work/life balance, opportunities for growth and advancement"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work life balance, too many critical functions offshored"
    in 9 reviews
  • "No career growth(expect onsite opportunity that too depends on purely luck)"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

What a mess

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Keane

ProsWill receive your pay check on time.

ConsManagement has no clue other than counting the dollars..People are just headcount, clients are just cash cows. Have been pretty good at fooling the Japanese bosses, just by managing up.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company to someone else, spare the clients and employees...

No work life balance.

Boston, MA

I have been working at Keane full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat place to build your resume.

ConsNo work life balance, too many critical functions offshored.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter recognize key talent or kiss it goodbye when the econony improves.

It's a paycheck

Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Keane as a contractor for more than 10 years

ProsThey hire very skilled people. Benefits are not bad though health insurance premiums shot up 20% this year. It's a great place if you're looking to work with a hybrid onshore/offshore model for development or QA. The mantra has generally been "get the job done for our customers, we won't micromanage you if you can produce results" and for the most part they've stuck to it. I've been fortunate to work with some great managers and expand my skillset considerably.

ConsIt's very easy to feel like you're "out on an island" if you are on a client site (as I've been all 10 years I've worked for Keane/NTT Data Americas). Upper management communication from "on high" in Boston is very poor and was even before the Caritor acquisition. The Caritor acquisition all but destroyed the company--I went 4 years without a raise even with good to excellent reviews and people were leaving in droves, especially on the sales side. Things have turned around a little bit since the acquisition by NTT Data but there's still no local office administrative support anymore, everything's been pushed out to India. Technical training and enhancement seems 100% geared toward offshore Indian staff and leaves nothing for those of us who are domestic US. Pay is a bit low for the industry from what I hear from friends at other companies. Appraisal/salary process seems to change from year to year to year and is usually arbitrary, disjointed, confusing, and never happens on time, plus raises are tiny to nonexistent because they are shifting to a quarterly bonus system where a small fraction of employees on a contract will get a small bonus. Some delivery managers are invisible or overworked because they're also expected to do work for the client instead of just handling the NTT Data employees on the account. Career opportunities internally are limited, extremely hard to find on the company website, and very hard to apply for--"mobility" typically consists of getting told "we're sending you here" when your current contract runs out and you're given the choice of accepting it or leaving the company. The management team brought in post-Caritor aren't miracle workers, but they're trying, and at least they aren't Mani.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication from your practice leads and middle management on down to those of us in the trenches, not just the occasional company email from some SVP or John telling us about a grand initiative--delivery managers and the folks right over them often seem very remote from those of us at client sites. Improve your appraisal and salary adjustment process and stick with the same one for more than one year. Improve your company internal portal (which is impossible to use) and make it easier to find and apply for internal positions.

Decent place

Assistant Project Manager (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Keane full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunities to work on different projects. Good learning place with exposure to different clients.

ConsSenior mgmt poor. Pay is not that great. Poor onside benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees more

Worked for Keane for 3 years.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
Howell, MI

I worked at Keane full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCan't really think of any pros for working for them.

ConsYou are locked in to whatever technology you work with when you start with them. They will not put you on a contract with a customer unless you have at least 5 years experience. If the technology you have experience with dies, you can't move to another technology unless you have 5+ years experience, even if you have a certification.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to treat their employees better!

Overall good with good health care

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Durham, NC

I have been working at Keane full-time for less than a year

Prosgood health insurance, good career development

Consfirst project, so dont know yet ..

stupid co

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Keane full-time for more than 3 years

Proswork life balance is okay

Consno hikes indesignation/pay for years.

Advice to Senior Managementchange your strategies....

Does not give any advance notice when contract is ended early.

Testing Coordinator (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I worked at Keane full-time for less than a year

ProsCompany leaves you alone if your not making waves. Do your job and your left alone.

ConsRelocated for an 18 month contract and it ended in 7. No advance notice. Took a big loss ending my lease early.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have better communication with employees in regards to client issues.

Was a good place but no growth

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Keane as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsIt was good break for me

Found new contracts

Good people

ConsKeane was bought over by other company

No presence in my last assignment

No salary rise for 2 years

Poor moral post sale

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Wayne, PA

I worked at Keane full-time for more than a year

ProsPrior to the purchase of Keane by a VC firm they were a very positive company to work for. They were very supportive of their employees and strived to provide the best service for their clients.

ConsUpon purchase of Keane by a firm in NY backed by a VC the company quickly slid into a downward spiral. The new leadership group will walk over anyone that thinks outside the tiny box of profit. Employees are just a verbal in the wheel of this company, they have no issue burning out the employees. Moral is horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave the company, you don't have a clue what you are doing.

Worked for Keane? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Keane reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Keane CEO John McCain. All 263 reviews posted anonymously by Keane employees.