Keas Reviews

Josh Stevens

Awesome!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Keas as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Really friendly staff and a lot of fun. Management is very friendly I enjoyed talking to them.

Cons

Schedule is slightly challenging but it was nothing to hard. It was overall a great experience though.

A team oriented job that pushes you to be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Keas as an intern for less than a year

Pros

This is the kind of environment that is open and honest! To me, this is a great thing! You're never wondering what anyone's thinking of your work, because they'll let you know. There's a kitchen open to everyone filled with healthy food options. You're in an environment that promotes health and fitness which is pretty rare!

Cons

Like I said, it's an honest company! It's not for anyone without thick skin. Just know not to take anything too personally, because they're just pushing for the best!

Keep it up!

Great mission driven company.

Current Employee - Sales  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Keas full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's great to work at a company whose mission I really believe in.

The leaders of the company really want to change health in america. All of them have internalized how they can leverage the tools keas sells customers to improve their own health and day to day habits.

The product really gives motivation and positive reinforcement so individuals can make better health decisions.

Finally, the people are first rate. The work-ethic is very high.

Keas hires really smart people who are also good people to work with.

Keas is a very special place to be a part of.

Cons

Keas has grown over the last year from "start up" to "real company". That means if you are looking for a first job with a more "play" environment versus work Keas isn't it. Its actually is building a real growth business and has acquired Fortune 500 customers. the community within the company evolve from the "first gen startup-y" people to the second gen "build a business" team of people.

You are growing an amazing business that helps people and makes money - stay true to that!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent team oriented culture and a great work environment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Keas full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management is transparent with decision making and is open to feedback and suggestions from employees. Everyone is focused on creating an excellent product and serving customer needs. There's a strong commitment toward the agile process and applying best practices in engineering. Industry experts are regularly invited to present to the entire company. There are plenty of opportunities for individual growth, development, and mentoring. Benefits are generous, and there's a mandate for everyone to live a healthy lifestyle.

Cons

Because its customer base consists of large enterprise companies, the schedule can become chaotic at times, which results in having to work longer hours on occasion.

Avoid allowing the customer to dictate requirements or direction too much. In the long run, taking a stand on the definition and evolution of the product will lead to the company gaining more respect with its customers. Other than that, you're doing a great job!

Hot start-up in a Hot space

I have been working at Keas full-time for more than a year

Pros

We all know where the health tech space is headed…wayyy up. Keas is in position to come out as the leader of the pack when it comes to corporate health and engagement platforms because of it's focus on delivering a winning product and providing excellent account management.

Keas is making key hires to support the growing list of customers and things are looking very positive. We closed out the year with 2 huge deals, putting us out even further ahead of the competition. Looking forward to seeing how successful Keas will be in the coming years!

Also, the kitchen is usually stocked with plenty of (healthy) snacks and drinks. =)

Cons

None - I'm grateful for the opportunity.

Keep doing what you're doing, learn from mistakes and keep the business moving forward.

Great culture, smart people, egos checked at the door.

Current Employee - Finance/Administrative  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance/Administrative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Keas full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ability to influence the direction of a company, massive opportunity and potential.

Significant opportunity to contribute and learn.

Fast paced environment with super-smart people.

Lots of responsibility and accountability.

Cons

Resources are still scare so you have to be scrappy. That being said I really like the challenge. It encourages innovation.

Keep doing what you're doing.

A Winning TEAM

Current Employee - Product  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Keas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

High-performance environment. If you liked playing sports in high-school or college, or like team-based activities, you will love Keas. Probably the best business team I have ever worked with. Keasters are data-driven, results-driven, and outcomes-focused. They pull together in a passionate and driven way to win customers, serve customers, and keep customers.

Openness and directness expected and encouraged (and not for everyone - so if you are hyper-sensitive - probably not for you). Its often said "what is the alternative?" to not speaking hard-truths and being very direct with each other about performance. So true! Most folks appreciate direct and honest feedback. And even when feedback may be a bit harsh, the result of a brutally honest environment is no guessing where you stand, no office politics, and a focus on results, learnings, individual and team improvement.

The management team is always looking for ways to grow and improve, which is unusual, and inspiring. "Lifelong learning" is often shown and told iin weekly stand-ups when folks share stories about what they have learned and how they are using those learnings to evolve and improve the Keas strategy and business execution.

After many years "finding itself" as a start-up, a new management came in, set high standards, cleaned house, and brought in a new team showed by exampled how to live up to those standards. The bar of performance continues to get raised- as the team always looks to acheive "personal best" performance and record team performance. Keas is now a growth story that never could have happened without this cultural transformation. After many years at Keas, I am glad I stuck around for the "re-birth" of this company! :)

Cons

The tough part of a sports-team or performance-team culture, is that when the weaker players get cut - it hurts on a personal level because the team is close, most people know each other, and everyone works intensely.

On the other hand, this approach is the same approach winning teams take in pro sports. While I would not describe the culture as "sports" focused - the parallels to running a pro-sports franchise are recognizable - you can't win games if you carry folks who don't want to play everyday to win...and who would rather play their own game than be on a team.

If you are a quieter, sensitive, person, or if you prefer to work more solo, or be "on your own" and be "left alone to do your own thing" Keas is probably not for you - because the culture requires individual performance and teamwork almost equally.

I think the management team was too slow to cut weaker players in 2013. I also think they have learned they need to move even faster on this in the future because this has been an open topic of conversation about how we grow and strengthen our recruiting in 2014.

Success breeds success! Keep doing what you're doing!

"A" players who love what they do and want to be with other "A" players"

Current Employee - Design  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Design in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Keas full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture of merit, or hard work, and of innovation. If you have an idea, concept it, share it, and make it a reality - management encourages and wants strong folks to "run with it" and make the business their own. Everyone is treated like a player with a seat at the table - if you like that kind of "own it" culture - you will love Keas!

Cons

Not for everyone. Keas recently shedded some folks who didn't make the cut - and it was hard for the culture - but the reality sunk in - "B" players do not survive at Keas. As Keas you are evaluated on your contribution and your level of participation, your personal leadership, and your ability to execute with little or no drama. Works for me - but not for everyone who need a "softer" place or one that is not outcomes or accountability-based.

Keas is growing...blowing up by leaps and bounds - keep it up!

A high growth start up, really change peoples lives!

Current Employee - Marketing  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Keas full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company is on fire (from a revenue growth perspective)! Keas is a rapid growth environment and evolving quickly with huge potential for advancement. The company positively impacts people, helping employers engage their workforces in leading happier and healthier lives; what you do makes you feel good!

Cons

Rapid growth and evolution means employees are pressing hard to win. Keas is a work hard, play environment where high performing employees are rewarded and thrive. For employees looking for structure, stability and status quo -- Keas can be an uncomfortable place.

Keep the momentum rolling and we need more people to keep up with demand!

Amazing product. Terrible management.

Former Employee - Staff  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Staff in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Keas full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is an amazing product that I, and you, will truly believe in. It will most likely go places, but ONLY under new management.

Cons

You'll learn a lot about what Keas does by their website: keas.com

I accepted the offer for my position because I believed in the product (still do). The product is designed to get people healthy in a fun way: through an interactive game. A really, really great product.

The problem lies with management.

How to best explain this is to say: Imagine a company that is very well funded with a great product being run by a 2 year old with the terrible 2s.

They lack direction. They don't have the knowledge to properly run a company. And they throw hissy fits when things don't go their way. How is this exhibited?

They sell a product before the product is finished.

The company is run, and dictated by the sales department. Why is this a problem?

If sales leads the direction of the product, the product is unable to evolve naturally. The product will be poke and prodded by different clients who need this, or need that, or the other. You are then left with a mish mash of sewn together needs, which destroys the product, and will eventually destroy Keas.

Good companies (yelp, twitter, facebook, square) don't allow their product to be dictated by sales. They focus their attention on the product and Voila! the product sells itself. The product does not bend to the needs of every client. Can you imagine what Yelp, or Facebook would look like if they listened to every paid advertiser and accepted all their requests. You'd have giant ads, with little room for social media.

If you're looking to work for Keas, this is what you should keep in mind:

The product is sold on the basis of what it "will do", instead of what it "does do." This leads to unrealistic deadlines, set by sales (not by engineers or creatives who can tell you how long it'll take), which equals extreme pressure regardless if you're in the sales, engineering, client services, marketing, or creative department.

Most successful companies simply say: This is a great product and all these features are available NOW. Not "will be" available.

And Keas has hired, and continues to hire great people. Smart. Out-going. Hard-working. Problem solvers. Think outside the box-ers. Work well under pressure. Etc. But....

Rather than work on the structure of new product releases, or new communication techniques with current and future clients, management lays blame on staff, and lets these smart/hardworking/incredible people go. Again, and again. One staff member after another. Sayonara! See ya never!

But you see: It's like any relationship: if you're constantly having problems with one person after another, and that problem is the same problem (they don't do this, or that, or the other) you have to look at the common denominator. And that common denominator is: you.

In summary: the problem lies in management itself. Not in the product. Not in old staff. Not in new staff. But simply, in management.

Let go (layoff) of yourselves. Get new jobs. And let more capable people run the company. As is, the company will fail.

Worked for Keas? Contribute to the Community!