Keefe Commissary Reviews

Updated March 17, 2015
9 reviews filtered by
John Puricelli
1 Rating

1. This will probably be one of the easiest jobs you'll ever have.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Charles, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Charles, MO

I have been working at Keefe Commissary part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

All the supervisors are pretty laid back and really nice people. Everyone is very professional and they're always there to help you.

Cons

They're big on schedule. You cannot be late for anything. They expect you to on time for work (obvi), lunch, breaks, meetings, etc. if not it'll mess up your scores and maybe any chances on any promotions or bonuses.

2. Terrible hours, incredibly short and infrequent breaks, abusive customers, abusive coworkers, and abusive supervisors.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Keefe Commissary full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Unlike the prisoners I serviced, I did get to go home at night. Though they ate better than me and wore nicer clothes; especially considering my salary. $12.60/hr

Cons

Cons? How about convicts who get everything from Cheetos to Nikes, and being constantly monitored by "supervisors" who "rated" my performance, by picking and choosing what calls to rate me on; effectively allowing them to rate me however they wanted, regardless of my overall performance. In a nutshell, they could pick the "bad" calls to rate me, which directly affected my "bonus", which was a rather unfunny "joke". Timed to the second, if I was "out of adherence", even for a legitimate reason, they could "ding" me whenever they wanted. Not good if they dont want you to succeed, and most all did not. Just answer calls and take orders from abusive customers as quickly as possible with no regard to true customer service. I was often penalized for trying to provide good customer service, but all they cared about was "total number of calls" and orders taken.

Do not make promises you cannot, or never intended to keep. Do not lie to my face. And at least try to understand the different meanings of "Ms." as a feminine title before trying to belittle me, for speaking up about the unfair and racist work environment. Do not tell me one thing, then blatantly do the opposite.

3. Decent call center workplace

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Keefe Commissary full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management is generally interactive with employees and supportive and they also organize different activities like potlucks and employee appreciation lunches at times. They let you know what is expected of you. Pay is decent for the work required, which is not overly demanding once you learn the basics, though call volume can be overwhelming at times. There are opportunities for advancement within the company from what I can observe. There are also work from home opportunities after you have been there a certain amount of time.

Cons

Adhering to your assigned schedule is very important, which can be difficult for some people. Some of the performance requirements can be difficult to maintain for reasons not completely within the employee's control. Some shifts are until 11pm.

Continue maintaining good communication with employees.

5. My experience was somewhat ok at Keefe.

Former Employee - Order Puller in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Order Puller in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Keefe Commissary part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best reason I liked working there was receiving montly bonuses for accuracy in pulling orders.

Cons

Most of my co-workers were difficult to work with.

6. I have learned so much about the service indusrty

I have been working at Keefe Commissary full-time

Pros

Great Company Employee minded and great leadership

Cons

Distance to travel for work

Where is my get out of jail free card?

Former Employee - Account Manager in Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Fontana, CA

I worked at Keefe Commissary full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Its not that hard to sell honey buns, Snickers bars, or bags of Cheetos to jails.

Cons

There are only a couple of people in this organization that really make any money. Everybody else is traveling around like crazy just to make a decent living. The work environment is horrible and you will be treated nicer in a jail than you will in your own office. Employee morale is nonexistent and management's attitude is that everybody is replaceable.

Winning teams are not built on fear.

Good for college students that just need a job, bad for a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Keefe Commissary

Pros

Working in the front office, I made life long contacts and learned valuable on the job experience

Cons

-Management takes no responsibility for their actions
    -Great employees are not rewarded
    -Working in a smaller region means absolutely no room for advancement
    -Admin workers do not receive bonuses
    -Mostly male oriented, not many females in important positions
    -Annual reviews are a joke

Do a better job looking internally and make "drop ins" at different locations to see exactly how things run when daddy isn't around

9. Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Onsite Commissary Manager in Goochland, VA
    Former Employee - Onsite Commissary Manager in Goochland, VA

I worked at Keefe Commissary

Pros

There is great potential for advancement. Great vacation benefits; 3 weeks a year after your first year. Pay is good, could be better, but there is room for growth.

Cons

You are working in a prison, so you have to be able to handle the added stress. If a prison closes, you are out of work.

10. Interestingly interactive.

Former Employee - Delivery Agent
    Former Employee - Delivery Agent

I worked at Keefe Commissary

Pros

This company is great for students who are getting into criminal/administrative justice line of work. Those who want to get a fulfilling experience in understanding how the jail/prison system works. Great staff to work with.

Cons

Management has changed over the years. The work hours are not what it used to be. In this company you want to work more hours; since this company is very stingy with giving out hours, that is the only downside to working for this company. If you live very far, your income will go towards gas money.

Hopefully by not cutting to much hours, you can retain a better staff. The only reason why most people stay in this line of work is that there is to much unemployment out there that finding another job is not worth it.