Keene State College

Keene State College President Jay Kahn

Jay Kahn

Decent student employment

Student Assistant (Current Employee) Keene, NH

ProsGood work environment, I got to pick my own hours, great relationship with coworkers and boss, gain experience that is good enough to put on a resume, better than working in food service or retail

ConsLow pay, a lot of bureaucracy when trying to get things done and make changes, some coworkers very judgmental and talk behind backs

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your students!

Difficult place to work

ProsGreat benefits, good salary, some autonomy in positions. Direct supervisors generally competent, caring and considerate. Management promotes inclusiveness and participation.

ConsTop heavy upper management structure, lack of transparency in management, misaligned corporate culture. Inappropriate levels of technology concerning IT services and tools provided to support "real world" college mission.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsolidate management positions, particularly in finance and IT. Redistribute routine IT account administration activities to non IT personnel at lower pay grades. Stop providing IT services and tools non-essential to college mission. Use savings to hire / improve salaries for academic teaching staff.

Best place to work in Keene New Hampshire

Admissions Reception (Former Employee) Keene, NH

ProsEveryone seems happy to work there and are very helpful for you to achieve your career goals. I never seen anyone in a bad or foul mood. It is a very busy office and the time goes fast.

ConsNot enough hours and it was a temporary position.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, they were all very supportive. I would suggest they purchase better phone equipment and chairs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great employer for students

Lab Monitor (Current Employee) Keene, NH

ProsMake money while in school, flexible schedules, great people to work with, gain experience in field, bi-weekly pay checks

ConsPay isn't the greatest, but that's to be expected in a student hourly position.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think management should consider opening up more opportunities like the CS Lab Monitor. It is a great way to gain CS experience. Other departments should definitely do something similar, whether it be tutoring or monitoring a facility where students can work.

Goodfor my schedule,wished formore advancement potential

ProsGreat! allowed flexibility as a student and I was recognized for good work. I truly liked helping students and staff and I always felt appreciated

ConsSo bearocratic and don't expect to make a lot. Serving's better for cash as a student, but working for the school almost guarantees a good reference.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer students positions with more responsibility with higher income potential, instead of seeking employees elsewhere. Students don't all have parental support financially, and offering better part-time work will ensure they're part of the community

Worked for Keene State College? Contribute to the Community!