Kelby Media Group

2.3

Scott Kelby

Bye.

I worked at Kelby Media Group

Pros

Some of the greatest creative minds in the industry. Cool work place. Young, hip vibe. Good benefits and pay.

Cons

Management forces seasoned professionals to train newer employees everything they know thus training themselves right out of a job. No loyalty after years of service. Abrupt, rude leadership in some departments.

Start treating your people like people and not pawns on a chessboard or you'll lose more good employees like me.

Run fast and far from this employer

I have been working at Kelby Media Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very few pros. The employees are great and super talented.

Cons

Sinking ship with the only ones steering it in denial of their abilities.

Start listening to the people who have been there and see a positive direction to help you. There are some upper management people you rely on that simply tell you what you want to hear for fear of losing their jobs and continually blame departments or employees when they need to take responsibility themselves. You need to pull your head out of the sand.

You job is never secure here. Skill means nothing. It is all nepotism and favoritism

I worked at Kelby Media Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Casual dress, benefits, good people in the lower ranks. The idea that education comes first really makes you proud to be a part of the KelbyOne team.

Cons

Management does not listen to skilled workers. They make bad decisions that cost the company money then they throw workers under the bus. They continue to think and make decisions the same way that they have for years and wonder why they end up in the same situations. After you work there you realize the company is all "Form over Function".

It is time to put the blame for your leaky money boat where it belongs. Your management team is showing you things through rose colored glasses to protect themselves. If you want to educate people, you need skilled people, not a bunch of "Yes Men".

Career Decision Fail

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Kelby Media Group (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great product. Talented co-workers. Good benefits.

Cons

You can't make this stuff up. Each day brings new fear, criticism, and disgruntlement company-wide. They bait and switch, and think it's your honor to work here in any capacity. One way street. No stability.

Sell the business to someone who can manage people.

Great Product Poor Management Egomaniacs in Charge

I have been working at Kelby Media Group

Pros

Kelby Media has a great product.

Cons

Kelby Media has a great product. Unfortunately, the people in charge have no idea how to neither run a business nor nurture their employees. The egos and delusional propaganda run rampant. Those in charge have created a mentality where they encourage employees to throw each other under the bus for having a different opinion.

Kelby Media hires new employees without a job description, to only set the new hires up for failure. They have a 90 day “probation period” which upper management AND HR throws in new hires’ faces constantly. They also hire employees only to change their job titles without being told. There are many new hires that came in believing their job description was one thing, only to find out they are demoted and their descriptions changed to something totally different, hence setting up new hires for failure and termination.

Everyone spins their wheels trying to make management happy and does extra work to only have it thrown out. There is NO communication between departments. You are to obtain information through osmosis and expected to know what everyone is thinking.

Older employees are encouraged to harass new employees especially if the harassers and bullies are family friends of the owners. The owners barely come out of their offices and when they do, they ignore employees. Management screams “They are fair and just” only their actions demonstrate the complete opposite. Even with proof of mismanagement and harassment, you are not given a chance nor receive any help. This is a terrible vicious cycle and unfortunately EEO cannot help you. Kelby Media leaves no paper trail of harassment reports. They do, however, keep all records of employees who try to defend themselves. That file is called “Problem Employees” and they are soon terminated. Coming to work terrified daily is not a way to live.

This company is NOT organized, not legitimate and very much catered to the egos of the owners and their friends. They treat new trainers the same as employees, poorly if you are not a friend of the Kelbys. The Kelbys and their upper management will use you and throw you out once you have served your purpose. Anyone applying to this company should be weary. Any new trainers should also be weary when trying to be signed to this company.

No one understands why Adobe continues to support such a disaster of a company.

Shut down or lose the egos. Stop claiming you are "Christians", when you actually encourage employees to destroy people's careers with your emotional abuse and poor management skills.

Totes Magotes

I have been working at Kelby Media Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

LOL super easy work, fun peeps and high pay.

Cons

Lots of olds still roaming the halls but soon they'll retire or die off. No Christmas bonus but plenty of time off.

GIve Christmas bonuses!

Company that lost its heart and it way

I worked at Kelby Media Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay was ok
    A very nice gift card on thanksgiving every year

Cons

More alot of hats, nothing like rent a hotel conference room and then telling the company,we need to save money,and then let people go and then upper management gets new cars. No possible chance of a promotion.Fake upper management.

Daily internet sales are really low, seminars and photoshop world are less and less. No longer making DVDs. Lyndia.com must be loving this.

Great Potential with Misdirected Leadership

Current Employee - Employee in Oldsmar, FL
    Current Employee - Employee in Oldsmar, FL

I have been working at Kelby Media Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The talent of the people who work for the company is amazing and they create some of the best training in the business.

Cons

The Leadership of the company seems to have lost the heart of the staff working for them. What used to be a family-like environment has become a group of stressed out employees working for the family. The only job security here comes through being related. While the guys out front seem to be having a good time teaching, the rest of the staff is stressed out and overworked due to poor planning and poorer communication. A key issue is that there is no avenue to address any grievances: Upper management has several problem areas that are "off limits to discussion" and anyone daring to bring up those issues does so at the peril of their job, even while those very issues hinder the ability to carry out their job satisfactorily. So while the top folks share their vacations and and adventures freely on Social Media, they are not as carefree and sharing with their employees. I wanted to work at this company in order to be aligned to a man with integrity and character, but I have since come to realize that this man is more concerned with how many likes he gets on his blog post than whether or not he is demeaning and demoralizing the very people working for him.

The sad thing is that I love the company and I think the folks working here are some of the best in the business hands down. That is what makes it so hard to see so many people getting beat up and cast aside because Scott and the Gang have a new toy to play with and can't be bothered to show up or take time to plan. The Emperor has no clothes and you will be fired if you bring it up.

I am not writing this out of anger nor because my job is in peril, but rather as a hope that someone in Leadership will read this and have a change of heart about how this company is run. None of us wants to leave this company, but so many of us are looking for ways to escape. I fear that this letter will fall on deaf ears and be attributed to sour grapes or jealousy by those that have the power to change things. Truthfully, I am not jealous nor bitter. I am writing this before any major issues arise that affect me personally so that I may speak from a neutral platform. I can see the writing on the wall and I want to warn any potential prospects that may want to join this "dream company" that there is a lot of disfunction behind the curtain.

You claim to be Christians and yet it feels like you have lost your way.

great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oldsmar, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oldsmar, FL

I worked at Kelby Media Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

photoshop world, working with fun and hard-working people

Cons

not really any cons, one of the founders (Not the Kelbys) made me feel like the job was not secure, but the Kelbys and others are great! Hard working and fun!

I love my job.

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Kelby Media Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

KMG is an awesome place to work. You can come to work in shorts and flip flops, the work itself is very easy and the hours are great.

Cons

I don't feel challenged. I just sit here and do what the upper managers tell me to and that's that. I have stopped trying to get my ideas heard because they fall on deaf ears. We just keep going through the same motions over & over expecting improved results. But at the end of the day I get my paycheck and that's all that really matters.

Revamp your entire business model and make some real $$$. You have great potential but you're stagnating.