Kellen Company

Updated December 15, 2014

Peter Rush

Meeting planner

I worked at Kellen Company

Pros

Phelps hope and good employees

Cons

Work tons for little money

Hr sucks

House of cards

Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kellen Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There’s a nice sense of friendship with the staff in my office and it can be good to work on some of the big association conferences. You get to travel to the meetings. There is usually some kind of office holiday party and a summer team building day. The medical benefits seem good.

Cons

I read all the reviews here and I agree with most of the negative comments. Especially about the lack of work and life balance. I am not sure what I can add except about something that bothers me. This thing where The Kellen Company encourages the misperceptions that come along with saying they are employee owned. Maybe they like the way it sounds because it sounds warm and many people make assumptions without asking questions, yet “employee ownership” is only a way to set up a company for tax purposes and allows for easier borrowing of money for the owners of the company. The Kellen Company is not employee owned in the sense that it is employee controlled or a cooperative where every employee would share in company decisions – far from it. The Kellen Company is a very paranoid and secretive company and decisions are made by a very small group of men. If you ever push for someone to explain what it means with someone there who understands it, they will tell you that they are just a corporation with an ESOP. It stands for Employee Stock Ownership Plan and probably the most best example of a company with an ESOP was Enron. Remember how well that went?
    The ESOP doesn’t help anyone there except for the people who have been their for many decades and hope to retire from there someday. It certainly doesn’t help the regular people who work there for a few years before leaving. The company also pushes the limits of the ESOP rules as far as they can go, legally, with things like vesting terms and payouts. Since the company gets its ESOP shares valued by a third party every year, they like to buy smaller companies to make it seem like they are growing. (An almost Ponzi-like strategy that must be repeated, year-after-year). For a company whose leaders seem to makes every decision based on its affect on protecting their financial stake in the company, they are the very definition of “penny wise and pound foolish.” For instance, they will criticize employees for very minor expenses yet never downsize any of the extra staff in the companies they acquire. I think its a house of cards and one day a strong wind will blow right through it.

That is hard because I want to say stop being so arrogant. Hire people who will challenge you. Stop being such micromanagers. But that is not going to work so my big advice is: sell the company while you can.

Guess it Depends on your Department

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Kellen Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good office environment. Everyone very smart. Best people I have ever worked with. The people really make the experience. Excellent learning opportunity. The work is challenging. Benefits are good (medical, dental, school reimbursement), I like the casual office culture. The work itself is serious but fun. I meet interesting, high level executives. No one breathing down my neck. CEO and other senior executives are pretty friendly and caring. Continual training and education, in our office and nationally.

Cons

I hear that not everyone in all offices have same work values, same experiences as my office. We take on and work hard for clients who don't pay what they should. That translates into low and slow salary increases and the need for additional staff. That's what really really sucks.

Need more levels to be promoted and grow. More flexible holiday schedules (I think we're the only company in the U.S. that works on presidents day)

Excellent Association Management Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Kellen Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Employee owned with good benefits. Long history of good client service

Cons

Reserved, impersonal working environment, not much "fun"

Good place to start, but not stay...

I worked at Kellen Company

Pros

I did enjoy co-workers, corporate structure, and ability to learn new skills.

Liked the ability to tele-commute.

Benefits and company holidays are nice.

Cons

Overworked, truly underpaid, long hours, and conferences are hell. Most management do not know how much their staff actually does. Very little appreciation shown to hardworking staff while higher ups sit back and delegate and do not take responsibility for their work.

Team moral is low due to favoritism.

Pay attention to workloads you give. Overloading current employees to save money on hiring new staff is counter-productive.

Give everyone an invitation to the annual summit to learn and grow new skills.

Good teammates, horrible work-life balance

I worked at Kellen Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My peers were the only bright spot at this company.

Cons

Employees are truly over-worked and underpaid. Upper management has no regard for their employees and definitely does not listen to the challenges of the staff. The work-life balance is non-existent and there are no plans to change this. Potential candidates are sold on an 'employee owned' set-up for this company, but, the benefits of this are almost zero.

Take a step-back from doing for yourself and actually listen to the employees. Treat people the same, no special circumstances for only certain employees

Growing Fast

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Kellen Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great colleagues and work atmosphere, access to special events, diverse client base, flexible schedules available. After a few years of little growth, company has added ten big new clients in the last year. Annual bonuses as well as shares of company given to all full time employees.

Cons

Co-pays and deductibles are expensive with current medical plan. Dental is OK.

Some services are not up to par with majority at company - make sure weak areas are addressed. Keep Growing!

Great company but isn't competitive in pay

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kellen Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Job security. I like my co-workers and they hire competent people. They promote within and support their employees.

Cons

Their pay isn't competitive and many people in leadership positions are old school. Younger employees only stay 3-5 years before moving on. They're going to get stuck because they have a lot of people close to retirement age and no one younger to step into those positions.

Excellent

Current Employee - Manager of Communications in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager of Communications in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kellen Company

Pros

Employee Owned; we share in the profits of the company; teamwork; loyalty of employees to company; challenging work; monthly team events from ice cream day, time off for picnics; holiday events; employee appreciation day; chili cook off.

Cons

health premiums are high; senior management are workaholics;

Listen to employees points of view

Kellen Company cares about Us

I have been working at Kellen Company

Pros

Great team. Good training to work with AEs from other offices, especially China and EU. Management very flexible and fair when it comes to time off. Excellent benefits package. Lots of training and educational opportunities. We all work pretty hard but in return there are parties, unlimited personal days, flexible hours, you can work from home without a hassle, etc.

Cons

Don't really dislike -- consider a heads up. If you handle PR for the associations, there are some evenings and weekends away.

Promote from within when possible. More staff meetings to communicate what is happening on client accounts, especially the ones we don't work on. We want to know.

Kellen Company Photos