Kellogg Company

Updated September 17, 2014
2.9

Kellogg Company President & CEO John Bryant
John Bryant

Pros
  • There is a lot of effort going into maintaining work/life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Benefits are good and when I worked there we had a company car and gas card (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is less than ideal at times, but it comes with the territory (in 47 reviews)

• middle management is lousy, no work life balance, god forbid if u have an opinion about anything (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Majority of employees are contracted workers with no opportunitiy to grow and become hired as full-time employees

I worked at Kellogg Company as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

-Above average pay
    -Opportunity to work on many different projects
    -Raises easy to come by
    -Early leave on Fridays
    -No micro-managing

Cons

-Office is completely run based on who you know, not what you know
    -Contracted workers will NEVER have the opportunity to become full-time Kellogg employees
    -Expected to be available to upper management 24/7
    -No paid time off or paid sick days for contracted employees
    -Expected to come in on days when the office is considered closed, and upper management is not showing up
    -People in specific roles are under utilized, while employees who are at higher levels, and have no idea what they are doing or how to communicate with level 1, 2, and 3 employees are given a mulititude of projects that they have no business being on.
    -Under-staffed

I think if you better utlized the people you have, and stop laying off people without telling them until their last day, the employee moral would be better. Everyone is constantly afraid to lose their job, and because of this nobody will help anyone out, and there is no loyalty in the office. Since you are laying off 15-20 people at a time, and being dishonest about what is going on, nobody wants to be there. The people who did enjoy their job left because they wanted to get out before they got laid off too. You will not have any employees within the year if practices like this keep happening.

Difficult culture, excellent brands, above average pay, weak managers, instability

Former Employee - Senior National Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior National Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kellogg Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Kellogg's has excellent brands and great compensation.

Cons

You'd think for being such an old, conservative, well-established company there would be more stability. During the two years I worked there a series of very negative events happened. They had a major cereal recall which impacted everyone's compensation. Even though everyone hit their targets or would have without the recall, they eliminated everyone's bonus-- but the CEO gave himself a bonus less than 6 months later. They reorganized every 3-6 months, a total of 3 times in the 2 years I was there. Management was very poorly trained in how to manage people-- it is not a warm and fuzzy culture at all. They took away the company cars and moved to a car allowance that wasn't nearly as lucrative. They reduced half day Fridays from March to November to be from Memorial Day to Labor Day-- still a perk but a reduction in benefits. I was disappointed that there were so many layoffs and reorgs in a short time as I wanted to be at Kellogg's long term. I decided to leave the company before the next reorg and pursue a more stable culture and structure. There is little to no training available, they just poach talent that has been trained from other companies.

Make a decision for your structure and stick with it. Train your managers on how to manage people.

Thankful...

Current Employee - Mixer  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Mixer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Kellogg Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people you work with are one in a million....

Cons

Scheduling is never consistent... One day your working then the next they got you off.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Diversity is a myth

Current Employee - Finance Manager  in  Battle Creek, MI
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Battle Creek, MI

I have been working at Kellogg Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company with great brands and great talent.

Cons

Limited career opportunities for women. Regardless of existing programs for diversity and inclusion, management actions favor men and traditional families. Men are promoted easily as compared to women. They talked about flexible work arrangements and diversity, but in reality they expect you to make the arrangements even when they can put your family in jeopardy. Leaders have to walk the talk .

Management should embrace diverse styles and backgrounds. Diversity is not hiring people from different backgrounds, beliefs and styles and then forcing them to fit the Company mold if they want to grow and succeed.

Changing Culture

I have been working at Kellogg Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits and pay are superior.

Cons

Changing office culture - lots of stress

An organization that has lost it's way (and great leaders)

I have been working at Kellogg Company full-time

Pros

Large company therefore, growth opportunities
    Well known, loved brands

Cons

High turnover in Marketing
    Culture that was once outstanding has erroded over the years - now average at best. Leadership is now more threatening than inspiring or empowering.
    POOR work life balance

My experience at Kellogg has been very fulfilling.

Current Employee - IT Intern  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - IT Intern in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Kellogg Company as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The opportunities for developing my skills, the people who are fun to talk to, and the impact on people, employees and consumers alike, that you feel you have control over, all make the job seem quite fulfilling.

Cons

Somewhat thrown into the job, yet once up to speed, I never quite felt I was put to my full potential.

Part time Merchandiser

Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser  in  Wildwood, NJ
    Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Wildwood, NJ

I have been working at Kellogg Company part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Was able to enter hours that I just sat in my car for. Pretty easy job for the most part except for the long hours, it gets rough on your knees and back.

Cons

Manager had too many stores so he was constantly calling me to see what inventory was like in every store even when I was not working. Many of the full time merchandisers are incapable so I had to do their job too.

invest in young part time merchandisers. a lot of them are smart and could bring value to the company if they stayed on.

Too process focused

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Battle Creek, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Battle Creek, MI

I have been working at Kellogg Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Many key leaders focus too much on improving process and cutting costs rather than supporting innovative ideas that will get the business back on track or take it to the next level. In addition, many leaders are paralyzed with, "we need more data" and therefore there is a lack of action. Bench strength is at an all time low.

Stop hiring so many consultants, they've done nothing but slow us down and screw things up. Also, stop working with ad agencies that only know how to present ideas that support their business rather than Kellogg's.

Kellogg Company

Current Employee - IT Analyst
    Current Employee - IT Analyst

I have been working at Kellogg Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Relaxed, corporate family company
    - Great people!
    - Fun company

Cons

- No minorities in leadership positions
    - Company does not do a great job growing young talent
    - Hard to move up/get promoted

Pay attention to what your employees are trying to tell you

Worked for Kellogg Company? Contribute to the Community!