Kelly Educational Staffing

Kelly Educational Staffing Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

My experience working with Kelly Educational Staffing was great!

Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsI had the opportunity to work in different schools, work with different students and faulty, and learn different teaching methods.

ConsThere weren't enough hours and if you didn't get home early to log on, there weren't any jobs available.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe salaries should be higher especially if you have a degree in your field.

very disappointed with the company

Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

Prosnew system to find classes
    pay system improved

Consthis new stupid new rule to work 2 Friday in a period of time, sometimes it is not fair, end of the year didn't have enough classes to sub and they "fired" me because I had only one day worked on a Friday. When I called, they suggest me to bring a doctors note saying that I was sick ( I wasn't, they wanted me to lie) and all the time I worked there I never being late, never missed an assignment. And Orange County Public Schools system doesn't care Kelly

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should review your rules, most when its end of the year, you said there were 5 Fridays for end of the year 2013, start of 2014, but there were only 3, and because there're some may subs, you should put one more week to try.
    you lost an excellent sub, I wont recommend your company for anybody, I tell then to go for Seminole or Lake county schools

Kelly Educational Staffing is great -- Substitute teaching, not so much.

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsSubstitute teaching with KES is a great gig at first.

- The hiring process is simple.
    - Hours are extremely flexible - you only need to work two Fridays in a given time period to stay active in their system.
    - Easy to balance with school, another job, or busy home life.
    - Ability to pick and choose which schools you want to work at.
    - KES staff members are always helpful and understanding, so there is plenty of support from their side of the fence. Pretty much all interaction with the office are pleasant.
    - Possibility of networking and even getting a full-time teaching position if you're certified.

Cons- Terrible pay for the nature of the work.
    - Substitute teaching can feel like an excellent job when you have a good class, but the bad days far outweigh the good.
    - There is little support from the actual school system for substitute teachers. There will be days when you are left feeling underpaid and unappreciated, which eventually wears down on you. This is not the fault of Kelly Educational Staffing in particular, though, and they probably make the experience as pleasant as possible.
    - No opportunities for advancement within Kelly Services if you are substituting as a part-time job and not interested in teaching as a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know this is also an issue with the school board, but pay for substitute teachers is miserable. Even a small increase in benefits would dramatically improve the work-to-reward ratio for this difficult job. Substitute teachers are vital to the education system, but there isn't much recognition for their hard work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Springfield, TN

ProsGreat opportunity to participate in the education of youg people. Good screening protocols. Enjoyed the overall experience very much

ConsNo real cons other than inconsistency of work

Awesome group to work for

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsQuick timesheet approval and direct deposit

ConsPay could be better, especially for para-educator jobs, jobs could be posted more frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more jobs posted online faster, it's tough to fall asleep and not see any jobs for the next day, then wake up and still not find any work.

Great, in a nutshell. Pays well, and is great experience for just about any job you can think of.

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGood pay, unique experience, community service and impact

ConsObviously, some students try their best to make you lose your cool as a substitute. Gotta have tough skin at times.

Loved subbing with them!

Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) Clarksville, TN

ProsThe staff in the Clarksville office was fantastic-- always available if I had questions, and wonderful about being supportive and recognizing great work done by their substitutes. I enjoyed using the online system to snag jobs.

ConsNone that I can think of-- anytime I needed anything all I had to do was pick up the phone and call the main office.

Only if desperate. Subbing sucks

Sub (Former Employee) West Hartford, CT

ProsPlenty of work opportunities in this organization

ConsNo support for subs. Same as most public schools in that regard. Low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of bsing your employees, let them know from the start that it doesn't matter what happens at the schools. It doesn't matter if the kids learn. Tell the subs to let the kids do what they want. If you actually enforce consequences with the kid/kids that are misbehaving, you are put on the ban list 1-2-3. They do not care what the children do. No support.

huge disappointment

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosflexible scheduling, ability to work other jobs while working this one, ability to network to move on to bigger and better things while working this job

ConsI have been told that I would have work just about every day in the school disctrict that this location serves... this will only be the case if I do nothing every day but sit at my computer and constantly refresh the website to claim jobs before anyone else does. I cannot do my job effectively and sit on a computer constantly looking for more work at the same time. There are already too many subs for the amount of demand we have, and yet our account rep is still hiring more people. It is unethical for workers to sit on their ipads all day searching for more work while cashing in on the work they should be doing if they weren't so busy looking for work, but in this system that is the only way to get a paycheck for more than one day in a given week. Unacceptable! I know other subs whose retired parents do nothing all day but sit at home and wait for more jobs to come open that they can claim for their adult child... that is the only way this person is getting work. This is unfair to the rest of us, but it's also unfair to the parents that they are in a position where they feel like they have to do this! Furthermore, some of the staff at the office needs training on how to properly communicate with subs and school personnel. I know several people who feel like calling or emailing the company representative does no good because their questions or concerns do not get fully addressed (if at all).

Advice to Senior ManagementRework the system somehow so that employees can get work without feeling like they have to be tied to a computer all day in order to claim more jobs. There is currently no way for subs to know when jobs open up... create a messaging system so that subs know when to log in and look for work so that they can live their lives when nothing is open.

Good company with decent pay and decent benefits.

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Gulfport, MS

ProsFlexible work schedule, and health insurance available.

ConsPay rate could be higher and health insurance could be cheaper.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay rate and assist with payment of health insurance premiums.

Worked for Kelly Educational Staffing? Contribute to the Community!