Kelly Educational Staffing

Updated November 21, 2014
Updated November 21, 2014
2.5

CEO

Pros
  • I like the variety and very flexible schedule (in 8 reviews)

• You can choose your schools and the days you want to work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is low for people with Associates degrees (in 4 reviews)

• That was new to me and to anyone else I talked to about it (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Bad Experience

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Orlando, FL

I worked at Kelly Educational Staffing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You pick your work days, able to substitute at different schools, great for people considering becoming a teacher

Cons

I worked as a High School teacher in Florida for 7 years until 2012. I still have a valid professional teaching license. I stopped teaching in 2012 to pursue a career in another field. In 2013, I decided to try working as a sub to determine if I wanted to go back to teaching full time. My experience with Kelly Educational Staffing was horrible. On hiring, was told we had to work a certain number of days during each period or would be terminated. In reality, they will terminate you even if you meet those guidelines but they deem you don't work enough. Kelly claims to have a high number of open sub assignments daily but very few show up on their website as schools can request specific subs. The few assignments that show up are quickly snapped up. Be prepared to jump on assignments no matter how far they are from your location. If you hesitate long enough to check a map for distance, someone else will have taken it. The auto system starts calling very early with no regard for distance to assignment. Most of the time, I turned things down because I would spend too much money on gas to get to the assignment. It was very hard to get in touch with anyone when you have issues. You will find yourself leaving voicemails with no return call. Kelly just wants the assignments filled. The emphasis is on quantity, not quality. After experiencing how Kelly treats substitutes, I will never complain about subs again if I go back to teaching.

You need to completely overhaul your system. Try focusing on quality subs instead of just filling positions. You are working with people, not robots. There is a better way.

Good Part Time Job

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Clarksville, TN
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Clarksville, TN

I worked at Kelly Educational Staffing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Health care is affordable and every sub is eligible if you make the enrollment deadline

Cons

They only care about making sure the positions are met, the staff doesn't care about the subs as long as they can meet their coverage, pay is a joke.

Take some time to meet with and get to know some of the subs.

Substitute Teacher

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Kelly Educational Staffing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are able to set your own schedule and work full time or part time if a person desires.

Cons

The company is not a challenge at all; however, in the school system if a person does not have courage to be in a demanding classroom environment, they can become intimidated and frustrated.

I am sure that upper management is aware that there are some classes that are more challenging than others and we learn how to handle those type of challenges in orientation.

I'm a teacher

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Terre Haute, IN
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at Kelly Educational Staffing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The assignment system where you pick your school, class, day and time is very well organized. I could work every day, or not.

Cons

The pay is literally minimum wage with no benefits.

Pay people more. Subs are worth it. Good people that the schools request because that sub can handle the job you should pay even more.

Good job to supplement income.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kelly Educational Staffing as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very easy to get started working, consistent pay each week, supervisors are very nice and helpful.

Cons

Some schools are great, but most are horrible. Not Kelly's fault, but just a warning. Teachers and administration at certain schools can be very rude to subs, which is weird since we are only trying to help them out. If you like a school, try to talk to the sub coordinator and give them your contact information in case they need you to sub again. That's what I did, and it helped me to stay at schools I liked and avoid schools I didn't.

Try to get contracts with public school districts if possible, not just charter schools.

substitute

I have been working at Kelly Educational Staffing

Pros

available to answer any questions

Cons

keep their words and they are organized

research and investigate before accusing employees

Good job for a recent college grad looking to take a gap year.

I have been working at Kelly Educational Staffing

Pros

The hours are flexible, and you do not have to work every day.

Cons

The caliber of the average employ feels quite low. They treat the substitutes like children.

Temp. job

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Seattle, WA

I worked at Kelly Educational Staffing as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

You can make your own schedule

Cons

Getting sub jobs was difficult on their automated system. Jobs you got were not based on your specialty unless a teacher requested you as their sub.

Do a better job of matching up substituting jobs with the best teacher (has an endorsement in the area) for that job.

Not bad

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Orange Park, FL
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Orange Park, FL

Pros

Make your own schedule, easy to use web portal, people are very friendly and willing to help.

Cons

Poor training, little understanding of the system by schools, finding a job is difficult.

Better train subs, hire less of them, and figure out a better policy on how to trade jobs if need be. Also better communication with teachers on how to work system.

Personally I think they need to reevaluate the way they work with subs as a whole.

They treat their degreed subs like garbage.

I have been working at Kelly Educational Staffing

Pros

I like the teachers that I met and the relationships u built in Orange County.

Cons

They don't care and threaten to terminate you at every corner. They are aggressive and very rude.

The writing is on the wall. Improve your talent appreciation or you will find your contract terminated! Terminate this contractor. They are creating problems for Orange County public schools by not retaining the good talent. You get garbage when you treat your valuable staff like garbage.