Kelly-Moore Reviews

3.1

Kelly-Moore President Steve DeVoe
Steve DeVoe

Family atmosphere

I worked at Kelly-Moore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work, always looked out for their employees. Opportunities for growth were always there to move up.

Cons

Seemed sometimes some guys got their position off of tenure and not being qualified fully for the position they were in.

It has it's pros and cons

I have been working at Kelly-Moore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friends you make with employees and with customers. But the biggest Pro is the benefits (Health, dental, vacation, sick time, holidays)

Cons

Being understaffed, and what I believe to be low pay.... Doesn't seem to be any real incentives to advance, unless maybe through corporate.

Staff more employees, and be equal in who gets promoted. it feels as if it's a who knows who company, which isn't fair for the truly qualified employees.

A Good Transition

Former Employee - Tinter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Tinter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kelly-Moore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a stable source of income with minimal thinking involved, Kelly-Moore Paints is a good company to work in. Most of the jobs include lots of repetitive tasks and this allows the employees to have occasional slack. Many employees find this to be useful decompressing time. Others use the down-time to show how committed they are and to impress management, though this may not pay off much, depending on who is in charge at the store.

Cons

Lots of prejudice and discrimination when it comes to promotions, specially in management positions, due to the current District Manager.

Look beyond personality and focus on the performance and potential of each candidate for promotion. Reward those who deserve promotions and prevent favoritism from discouraging great employees.

Good job, Summers are generally the busiest time and the most stressful.

Current Employee - Will Call
    Current Employee - Will Call

I have been working at Kelly-Moore full-time

Pros

You can move up in the company turning it into a career. Willing to work with your schedule if your in school.

Cons

Management could care less about its workers so long as someone is there to finish the job and bring revenue in the store.

Become close to management in all store if possible. Kelly Moore works around politics its not so much what you know as who you know and get along with.

Out side Sales Rep.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Pierce, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Pierce, WA

I worked at Kelly-Moore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Go were you need to go, Get the sale.

Cons

The orders are in others hands. Management is not always in touch with whats going on on the street

Dont hold on to bad managers.

End of the line.

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Broken Arrow, OK
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Broken Arrow, OK

I worked at Kelly-Moore full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A paycheck.. All be it a small one.

Cons

It doesn't get much worse than this. A half step above community service. The manager is the "If you got time to lean you got time to clean" type.. He has the personality of a Banana Slug. The previous manager was there for 35 plus years.. I don't know how he did it without huffing paint thinner on the daily. I've never had such a deadend, depressing, soulsucking job in my life. Absolute dismal. You have to be a "special" kind of person to work for this company and especially for this store and for that manager. The coworkers don't make things any easier. They know they've reached the end of the line and really don't give a damn. Expect to move around 50+ pound 5 gallon paint cans all day for 10 bucks an hour. The job title "Inside Sales" was very deceiving. No sales. Just loading up contractors trucks full of paint all day. I took this job because I could not find work and Tulsa has nothing going on and this job is typical of Tulsa. I made it a week and then moved out of town. Good riddens!

Sell off assets and cash in. No reason for this store to exist.

Boring...place to work

Current Employee - Tinter in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Tinter in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kelly-Moore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a tinter sometimes, I was able to make delivers. Getting out the store or working a mother store was a fun think.

Cons

Not much respect and money doesn't fall down hill.

Do more for employee... We all know the paint market is heading to big box stores. Treat your employes swell and maybe customers experience will go up.

Ok.

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Dublin, CA

I worked at Kelly-Moore part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great hours when it is busy.

Cons

When it's not busy expect your hours to be cut in half or more.

Overall a great company.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Kelly-Moore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good work days. Summer is especially busy. Get to know customers who are regular. Management is very nice. The VP Mike Black even remembers me when he visit, which is awesome. He has only over 150 stores worth of employees to remember.

Cons

Sometimes getting a response on certain things from corporate can take a while. Too much this person has to do ask this person and then this person and then this person.

Try to get things streamlined so responses are quick and there isn't so many hoops to get things done. Make sales polices for sales reps according to individual markets not just how California does. But overall the management is great, I love who we have. I have no need to leave the company.

Excellent Privately held company

I worked at Kelly-Moore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The number one pro for me was the opportunity for advancement. Unlike other companies, Kelly Moore focused on performance rather than tenure. It was not a who you know environment.

Cons

Staffing levels were always a concern. Overtime was pretty much a given. Some of this came from people who were promoted not being replaced, a lack of a good talent pool to choose from and the length of time for the hiring process to cycle through.

Continue to promote from within. Streamline the hiring process. Maintain the high level of customer service.