Kelly-Moore

Add Photos

Kelly-Moore President Steve DeVoe

Steve DeVoe

Overall a great company.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kelly-Moore full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood work days. Summer is especially busy. Get to know customers who are regular. Management is very nice. The VP Mike Black even remembers me when he visit, which is awesome. He has only over 150 stores worth of employees to remember.

ConsSometimes getting a response on certain things from corporate can take a while. Too much this person has to do ask this person and then this person and then this person.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to get things streamlined so responses are quick and there isn't so many hoops to get things done. Make sales polices for sales reps according to individual markets not just how California does. But overall the management is great, I love who we have. I have no need to leave the company.

Excellent Privately held company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Kelly-Moore full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe number one pro for me was the opportunity for advancement. Unlike other companies, Kelly Moore focused on performance rather than tenure. It was not a who you know environment.

ConsStaffing levels were always a concern. Overtime was pretty much a given. Some of this came from people who were promoted not being replaced, a lack of a good talent pool to choose from and the length of time for the hiring process to cycle through.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to promote from within. Streamline the hiring process. Maintain the high level of customer service.

they need a better coordinator

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kelly-Moore full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company has earned five stars in general but has lost three due to my experiences in the management of the area in which I work.

ConsThe company as a whole is great by the area is very poorly managed in general. Specifically, the management is very scared to speak out about any job discrimination against them by certain people higher in the hierarchy. Even the so-called human resources department has gotten involved in the suppression of complaints against a certain key individual.

Advice to Senior Managementbe careful with certain informants to higher management levels.

meh

Inside Sales (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

I have been working at Kelly-Moore full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFun people to work with. Bonuses. Very flexible schedule. Huge library of training to learn whatever want. Free work shirts.

ConsVERY VERY DIRTY. You always look like a hobo after work. Weak bonuses. Minimal pay raise. They will not pay you for what you do. No advancement within company. They rather hire outside sources then within the company. No rewards for learning anything about paint.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire within the company.

My expeirnec at Kelly Moore has been overall a good one.

Lead Sales (Current Employee)
San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Kelly-Moore full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGret benefits, for me at least. Plus you end up making great freinds with coworkers and customers. Perfect job to build customer service and sales skills.

ConsDepending on which district you work in, moving up the ladder is nearly impossible. Not all DSO's give employees and equal chance moving up within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember where you started, give us an equal chance too.

Great Team Environment--with the right people

Tinter (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

I worked at Kelly-Moore full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI met a lot of people who ended up being lifelong friends or business references. Even if it is somewhat labor intensive, with the right group working in one store, even stressful days can end up being fun. As long as you do your job correctly and show up on time, you could work there forever if you wanted to. Most people use it as a job to have while going to school, and the company is very understanding of that and works with most schedules. If you do want to turn it into a career, it is very possible and they pay pretty well if you work your way up through the ranks.

ConsThey have a lot of rules being a customer service based industry. Sometimes on a busy day it can become stressful, especially if they are short staffed. It's hard to find anything negative to say about the company, though. Most of the headaches actually come from the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Increase pay/raises to deserving employees.

RUN, RUN: AND DON'T LOOK BACK....

Sales Associate (Retail) (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Kelly-Moore

ProsSlim chance of being replaced in retail sales (not exactly a lot of people desire to work here)
Opportunity to learn the different types of paints, primers and other items
ALL staff spends 75% of time surfing web on their phone, 15% on lunch or break & only 10% working

ConsPoor morale. Retail positions are all part-time, near minimum wage.
The overall attitude is negative
Retail management is substandard and have a "wage-slave" mentality, rather than productive

Advice to Senior ManagementNOT SURE

Watch your back.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Kelly-Moore

ProsStill has great products..for now. Good market share in the bay area still...for now. Also has had good reputation for service.

ConsManagement has gone down hill last 8 years. Some real cut throats at middle and top levels. They will tolerate serious unprofessionalism from some magagers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPrey for Bill Moore's resurection. If that won' t work, try getting back to service basics and actually LISTEN to your customers and your employees who interact with them.

The competition between upper management is making the lower employees suffer.

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kelly-Moore

ProsIf you want to get a painter's license and want to learn more about the paint products before becoming a contractor, this place would be a good place to start with. At least you would know different type of paints are for which area and the reason behind it; furthermore, you would understand the procedure of doing it as well.

ConsThe people on the upper management always competing with each other and they always have one or two loyal employees working in the store to check on other employees and report back to them like once a week. The camera in the store is horrible as well because those camera are used to prevent from stealing but the fact that the customer would literally come into the store and steal without being notice because there isn't any bar code sensor at the front of the store. It's very disrespectful for the employees and there are no trust between the management team and the regular employees. It's like loose sand that doesn't work together. The job security is extremely low because you can get fired easily. If the management doesn't like you due to whatever reason, they would do anything to get you fired such as being late for 3 mins on one day could result in getting a corrective (other employees late over 10 or 15 mins with numbers of days and they are fine). Didn't check the will call order before doing the sale would also result in a corrective (you are not the one doing the will call too but you would get a corrective). In fact, Kelly Moore has the highest job turnover rate and the lowest pay in the Paint Industry. If you are interested in working in Kelly Moore as a full time employee, please just consider it's temporary job just to make you feel better.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest that the company should change their management team. Without trust between the employees and the management, it would be hard for the company to be successful in any way.

better paint store

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Kelly-Moore

Prosthey pay well and give lots of training

ConsI did not have any cons with this job

Worked for Kelly-Moore? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kelly-Moore reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kelly-Moore CEO Steve DeVoe. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Kelly-Moore employees.