Kelly-Moore Reviews

Steve DeVoe

Don't expect a raise or a 401K contribution

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kelly-Moore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can learn and sell

Cons

Won't get a raise at all and They don't contribute one penny to the 401k. The pension takes 5 years of employment to be vested and it's nothing.
    They expect professional results but don't pay you as the professional you are.

We need raises and real opportunity

2. In California KM is strong due to the volume of stores, however, if you live outside California you may reconsider KM.

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Kelly-Moore

Pros

Great experience or maybe I should I say "ride", however, I wouldn't want to do it again.
    I had a great manager.
    OK place to get customer service experience for an intern.

Cons

Focused way to much on the housing market painter and not enough on the commercial painter market. KM is having a very hard time competing with the likes of SW, PPG or any companies outside of California. KM is regionally based: within California all is well, but outside of that state all is not well.
    The ESOP value now seems worthless for a employees future retirement, it seems to be a slush fund for the asbestos lawsuits.
    Huge problem: too many inexperienced people placed in management positions over the store operations, it's negatively effected the company.

I realize the dilemma when balancing sales and store operations (controlling issues) and I felt it may have hurt the company. Sales should be the #1 focus and should not take a back seat to the ever present downsizing of store operations. During my tenure, I saw a great sales team being held back due to store operations. If you don't have sales due to store operations you'll be in a world of hurt, and there you sit. You must go national if the company is to survive. Salaries should be more and the 401 matching should be increased, store personnel training should be a priority. Consider the competitions benefit packages and how they treat a family of employees. Where is KM going to be in 5 years?

3. no no no

I have been working at Kelly-Moore

Pros

wages and benefits are good

Cons

company is moving from california to texas

communication goes a long way

5. Good company, Great for students

Former Employee - Cashier in Tracy, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Tracy, CA

I worked at Kelly-Moore

Pros

Great co workers, very friendly environment, flexible schedule for people in school.

Cons

could do with a bit more in the benefits department

Keep workers' concerns at the front of your mind, its nice to have a good product but you need people to sell that product too.

6. It has it's pros and cons

I have been working at Kelly-Moore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friends you make with employees and with customers. But the biggest Pro is the benefits (Health, dental, vacation, sick time, holidays)

Cons

Being understaffed, and what I believe to be low pay.... Doesn't seem to be any real incentives to advance, unless maybe through corporate.

Staff more employees, and be equal in who gets promoted. it feels as if it's a who knows who company, which isn't fair for the truly qualified employees.

7. A Good Transition

Former Employee - Tinter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Tinter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kelly-Moore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a stable source of income with minimal thinking involved, Kelly-Moore Paints is a good company to work in. Most of the jobs include lots of repetitive tasks and this allows the employees to have occasional slack. Many employees find this to be useful decompressing time. Others use the down-time to show how committed they are and to impress management, though this may not pay off much, depending on who is in charge at the store.

Cons

Lots of prejudice and discrimination when it comes to promotions, specially in management positions, due to the current District Manager.

Look beyond personality and focus on the performance and potential of each candidate for promotion. Reward those who deserve promotions and prevent favoritism from discouraging great employees.

8. Family atmosphere

I worked at Kelly-Moore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work, always looked out for their employees. Opportunities for growth were always there to move up.

Cons

Seemed sometimes some guys got their position off of tenure and not being qualified fully for the position they were in.

Good job, Summers are generally the busiest time and the most stressful.

Current Employee - Will Call
    Current Employee - Will Call

I have been working at Kelly-Moore full-time

Pros

You can move up in the company turning it into a career. Willing to work with your schedule if your in school.

Cons

Management could care less about its workers so long as someone is there to finish the job and bring revenue in the store.

Become close to management in all store if possible. Kelly Moore works around politics its not so much what you know as who you know and get along with.

10. Out side Sales Rep.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Pierce, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Pierce, WA

I worked at Kelly-Moore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Go were you need to go, Get the sale.

Cons

The orders are in others hands. Management is not always in touch with whats going on on the street

Dont hold on to bad managers.

11. Boring...place to work

Current Employee - Tinter in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Tinter in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Kelly-Moore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a tinter sometimes, I was able to make delivers. Getting out the store or working a mother store was a fun think.

Cons

Not much respect and money doesn't fall down hill.

Do more for employee... We all know the paint market is heading to big box stores. Treat your employes swell and maybe customers experience will go up.