Kelsey-Seybold Clinic

2.9

Spencer R. Berthelsen

Good company, limited mobility

I have been working at Kelsey-Seybold Clinic

Pros

Good organization and good goals.

Cons

Sometimes operates like a small business and depending on your department, there isn't opportunity for growth.

Be open at all times.

I have been working at Kelsey-Seybold Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for personal and professional growth. This is a company that will give you the experience that you can grow within yourself.

Cons

A company basically about who you know...

Take care of your stuff. They are the ones who keep you with a job.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kelsey-Seybold Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was surrounded by great people with expert knowledge. This is a great place to start your career and they are big on promoting from the inside as well as recruiting great talent.

Cons

Some of the older colleagues would not actively participate in knowledge transfer. Its almost like they felt like you would take their job if they taught you how to do it. The problem is they want to take vacation and you are left holding the bag when an issue arises that they never trained you to handle.

The culture and management styles are decent. No real complaint here.

Boring no incentive to do better

I have been working at Kelsey-Seybold Clinic

Pros

Occasional company wide outings and holiday gift cards

Cons

Only recognize wrong doings Favoritism at its finest

Company limits the growth of those attempting to advocate for quality patient care.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Kelsey-Seybold Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First class patients genuinely seeking first class medical care.

Cons

Management cares more about the bottom line, need to focus on quality of patient care.

Each patient wants to be treated like a human being not a dollar sign. Each decision should be based on providing quality of care and upholding the standards not cost.

Overall a good place to work, but I see no room for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pearland, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pearland, TX

I have been working at Kelsey-Seybold Clinic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The new administration building is a great work environment. The building is brand new and has many great features such as huddle rooms and meeting rooms that can be booked electronically.

The work, for the most part, has been stress free. I have a lot of freedom in the projects that I work on and there are few deadlines.

The environment is very laid back. There is no set start-time or end-time, within reason. However, it is expected that a full 8 hour work day is put in everyday. I wouldn't say that it's encouraged to take breaks, but I don't think that it's looked down up either, again, within reason, of course. I'm not sure if this laid back attitude is true for hourly employees.

The people who I have met in the office are all very friendly and genuinely kind. I honestly think I've developed lasting relationships with people around the office. This friendliness may be attributed to the culture on my floor, and the culture may be different in different parts of the building.

All-in-all, it has been a great starting place to develop skills and learn how to transition into an office environment.

Cons

The benefits are very expensive for young healthy people and there is really only one benefit package to choose from, which obviously benefits the clinic.

Paid holidays are at a bare minimum, with only New Years Eve, Memorial Day, Labor Day, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, 1/2 day on Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day given as paid holidays. I may be missing one, but you get the point. Nothing like Martin Luther King Day or Presidents Day is given as a holiday. To this point, beginning employees are given 8 vacation days and 3 personal days. Not great, but I think fairly standard.

One of my bosses has requested info for his meeting approximately 10-15 minutes before the start of the meeting. I don't know if he's so unfamiliar with the data that he thought this was a reasonable request, or if he was very unprepared for his meeting. Either way, it made me feel stressed and worried because I wasn't able to produce the data in time, and didn't have the data for his meeting. This is the only time I've really felt stressed.

I don't think there is any potential for growth, at least in my position, which I prefer not to divulge in this review. It's obvious that manangers/directors aren't going anywhere. My coworker quit awhile ago, and I took over her workload. There has been no replacement for her, and I haven't heard any mention at all of being compensated for the extra work. I may be being greedy, but it seems fair to me, considering the person who's workload I took over made substantially more than I do. For these reasons, I've been thinking about looking for a new job.

Lastly, this is a minor point but, I feel like the company can be kind of cheap, which some may not see as a bad thing. The event that comes to mind is when the admin building suffered a power outage and the AC went out. Apparently the head of the clinic asked a snow-cone truck to come to the admin building, but made the employees pay for the snow-cones. This may not seem strange to some people, but it does to me. I think it sort of speaks to the lack of common sense that can be seen in some parts of the company.

I do, however, think the pros outweigh the cons.

Become familiar enough with the job processes of your employees to not ask impossible requests.

Make sure you know what you want before you ask for something.

Tight knit work community

Former Employee - Customer Service in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Houston, TX

I worked at Kelsey-Seybold Clinic as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning experience within the industry. Awesome networking opportunities with great companies around the city.

Cons

Limited upward mobility within the same department, but you have the ability to advance in other departments

Not worth the stress

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pearland, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pearland, TX

I have been working at Kelsey-Seybold Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pros are pretty much limited to the excellent benefit package, but only because KSC is in bed with the insurance companies.

Cons

The contact center is completely different from the rest of the organization. Leadership is constantly implementing policies that make the system more bureaucratic than is absolutely necessary. Favoritism is a real problem in the contact center. If you aren't part of the "Clique" then you an pretty much forget about ever taking any time off, leaving early, or receiving a fair amount of work. If you're not in the clique, chances are you'll probably never move up ever unless you complain to HR.

The policy for errors if way too draconian, considering the workloads of specific groups within the department. Also, there are various groups within the contact center that do different tasks. The grunt group is General Appointments, which is the bulk of the contact center. Depending on which group you are assigned to, you will not only handle appointments but your workload will be increased if you aren't assigned to the Appointment group, but you will not be compensated extra for doing more work. The contact center is always short-handed because the turnover rate is so horrible. They once hired a new class of 15 people, only to lay off 13 of them because they couldn't pass a test that is "deliberately designed to trick you", and this coming from the mouths of one of the trainers!

Management is also a joke. Several of the team leads, instead of working on resolving major issues within the contact center, instead decide to focus their attention on trivial, petty matters of things nobody but them would pay attention to. A couple of the team leads will make the world spin backwards for their teams those who dont, micromanage their employees ad infinitum and will stab you in the back if it means they score points with the Operations directors. Also, the people making the policies for the contact center, have never worked in a contact enter environment, and it shows when you work in the dreary, gloomy environment that they have fomented.

Time off is basically impossible. In order to get time off you must submit your request MONTHS in advance for a shot at getting it, the reason being that they have a limit of only 2 people being allowed off per day! While they are very generous in the amount of vacation time you accrue, its basically useless for you since its near impossible to get time off approved unless, that is, you are part of the aforementioned "Clique" who get whatever they want because they aren't answering to anyone but themselves. Also, your attendance is tracked with much scrutiny. Any time that you arrive late or call in is basically frowned upon, and you will be punished accordingly. Don't even bother bringing a doctor's note since they wont accept it as a good enough reason to call into the office. Once of my coworkers was involved in a car accident that made him late by 2 hours to work, instead of asking being concerned for his condition, he was immediately whisked into a meeting with management where he was written up for his tardy.

The final point, there was once a fire in the Luby's on the first floor that I personally witnessed which resulted in the fire alarm being tripped and the building evacuated. We were told by management to stay in place because it was a false alarm, much to the dismay of the fire department.

Management should start by cracking down on the favoritism within the contact center. They should then realize that certain processes that have been put in place are hampering the ability for agents to do their jobs effectively, and adding to the stress of an already stressful job. Raises need to be given to the people who work in the Answering Service and Preventive Medicine teams. You also need to hire more representatives and not fire them after failing a heavily misleading and flawed test!

exciting and the best learning experience

Former Employee - Business Services in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Business Services in Houston, TX

I worked at Kelsey-Seybold Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flexible work schedules, benefits, and knowledgeable management team

Cons

The travel time to and from work

Industry view

I worked at Kelsey-Seybold Clinic full-time

Pros

Small local company with nice history. Providers deliver to best of their ability.

Cons

Current company has adopted the insurance model. Business administration departments including hr, finance, administration are focused on personal gain and protecting turf. The result is a culture of office politics first and organizational leadership second. Most new ideas come from external hires, but typically ignored by status quo culture. Long-time tenured personnel now in leadership have very little outside experience to draw from and over-stayed beyond effectiveness. Company with potential for growth, but lacking leadership for execution. Insurance model means clinic looks for ways to secure government healthcare initiatives for profit.

Little room for personal growth. Professional success typically depends on back-slapping politics, who you know and not on ideas or leadership.

Move long-tenured management out. Bring in fresh ideas. Hire better talent. Retain new talent. Focus on delivering care, less on becoming an insurance company.