Kema

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
2.3

Herman Amelink

Great place to work, could use more career advancement opportunities

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Kema full-time

Pros

Pay was competitive, lots of freedom to perform tasks and an open and friendly environment, not a pressure cooker vibe.

Cons

It was difficult to get mentoring from more experienced colleagues, everyone was always very busy.

Design career advancement programs with targets. More official training.

Just ok

I worked at Kema

Pros

Great Benefits and corporate offers a lot

Cons

If you don't work for corporate, you don't enjoy your job.

Look at the management you put in place. Make sure they have experience.

If you're out of a job, then maybe you can work here until you find your next opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Kema full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food occasionally at meetings. Can't think of anything else - it was such a disgusting place.

Cons

It is the VERY WORST job of my career. I worked in their Oakland office - it was extremely political. Some women managers manipulated decisions to their advantage. Pay was lousy - way below the market. No opportunity for advancement at all. I was asked to work like a slave. People in general were very unhappy. The company changed its ownership several times during my stay there.

Great colleagues and excellent opportunities to improve your skillset with the company

Former Employee - Engineering Consultant in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Consultant in Oakland, CA

I worked at Kema full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Virtually, all my colleagues were very supportive. Great sense of camaraderie when I was working there. I felt that management proactively tries to help you improve yourself through workshops, conferences, and various learning groups. The culture encourages personal growth probably because the company needs more knowledgeable peop.e The atmosphere is quite laid back. There are a lot of chances to be "experts" in various areas of the industry if you so choose, or just be great at a few.

Cons

Once you are proficient in an area or two of what the company needs you for, it's easy to get pigeonholed into that area, largely due to the high volume of work. Work can be somewhat repetitive. Some clients are difficult to work with although most are fine. There is a lot of initiative one has to take to succeed in this company. Due to the size, it's easy to get lost and feel helpless, especially if you don't ask for more directions. Often, given many tasks with few directions but expected to find the answers (but it may just be the nature of the industry). I hated all the technical writing involved towards the end of my career there. Despite all this, I have very little negativity towards this company.

Can't say much here. I actually enjoyed working with 99% of the managers there.

Working for Ken Kemna is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. Don't recommend it

Former Employee - Techncin in Algona, IA
    Former Employee - Techncin in Algona, IA

I worked at Kema full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Only Pro would be they do offer a good wage. And a weight loss incentive

Cons

Kemna's is only looking out for how you can make them more money. They don't give a crap about their employees. If you aren't a salesperson or in accounting & you have no work to do you don't get paid. If they have some shop work to do they only pay you 80% of your days work.

Get real its your employees who make your business run without them you would have to work.

Challenging

Former Employee - Senior Management in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Detroit, MI

I worked at Kema full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good business to be in, at least, temporarily.

Cons

Seriously need an organizational chart and management to honor it.

Get some professional advice. Everyone will gain by this.